sportac XHP35 P60

ven

Flashaholic
Too add a little info regarding 16650, I measured the 4.35v cell at 4v with the little step down. It's defo brighter than the 13% level, but hard to say. Maybe it's the 40% level it steps down to from 100% . I don't have a meter to measure unfortunately .

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
Logansrun, McClicky are fine and actually good for more than 5a. Even oveready use in their BOSS lights that kick out 1700lm on single cell and 3300+ on 8.4v.

I have used McClicky's on higher demanding triples and quads than these sportacs issue free as well.

Jon is an awesome dude who sells 10a switches if preferred

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Judco-10-amp-Switch-for-Surefire-Z41-tailcaps
Ahh, thanks ven, that's great to hear. I've converted most of my SF lights to McClicky's, or Oveready ZeroRez switches, over the past 10years but I still have two stock SF C2's and one Z2 that I haven't touched.

I also have some Z58's, Z59's and SW02's and read some threads on folks trying to upgrade the those switches... but... it seems very difficult so maybe I'll leave those alone. LOL

Yeah, I saw Judco's 10A switch thread and sent him a note so maybe I will upgrade my remaining SF Z41 switches. :D

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did upgrade my SW02 to Judco reverse clicky (a lot of heat and wisegrips...) although all Z58/59 and SW02 have Judco by default, only forward clicky.

For normal ops standard McKlicky will do but if you run powerfull FET quads then high drain is desirable.

ven

Flashaholic
Not upgraded my switch in the E2e on the left(and E1e) so far, touch wood its been fine with the tana tripLED(and singLED) with h17f. Not used in anger, but no issue all the same
ZySOu7Nl.jpg

Still not decided on a final home for the sportac yet, fully charged 4.35v is fine on 16650, so i am presuming once it gets near 4v, the voltage sag is causing the step down from 100% to ........?? level. Decisions decisions, truth be told, the 13% level will be used 90% of the time anyway.

Hope your sportac is not far off id, got to be close now:)

ven

Flashaholic
USPS can update pretty late on, my tracking in past has been all over the place. Nothing for weeks then a crazy update and delivered.If not today its looking Thu or Fri maybe...................fingers crossed!

michiganstud

Enlightened
How does this dropin compare to the new Surefire Fury DF?

I just purchased one before I read this.

ven

Flashaholic
How does this dropin compare to the new Surefire Fury DF?

I just purchased one before I read this.

Have to excuse my ignorance, does the new SF have the xhp35 HI in, presuming so. If the case, i am not sure SF would use close to 4000k in temp, so if you like a little warm edge to your neutral beam, you should be very happy. Output wise i would say similar, not sure if the reflector(looks to be) is a lot deeper than the p60 format. However this does produce and bright beam, more than substantial imo. Its not crazy intense, the hot spot does go quite broad at a little distance, but being a higher output option, there is some decent usable spill there as well. Its like a malkoff m61 on steroids, or HDS after growth hormones and steroids!

I have been using mine quite a bit over the holidays(happy holidays):) and do like it a lot. I will admit the 250lm or so of the 13% is enough around and outside house duties. As i am running the 16650 fuel, i am a little limited. It can hold 100% , but once my 4.35v cell gets near 4v(no scientific stuff here), it drops the output(no the step down). So when at 4v, i click on 100%, it runs for a few seconds then a noticeable step down which is brighter than 13% but of course less than 100%. This will be (it is a) none issue with higher drain cells and using 2x 18350 for example.

Its a pretty awesome drop in, cant comment on the cooler ones offered, but i will say the xhp35 HI are a clean beam in cool/neutral flavours. No offs in tints if that is a bug bear.

Hope enjoy michiganstud, used with an 18650 host with 8+ amp cells will bring this drop in to life.

michiganstud

Enlightened
Ignore my ignorance here....I like a cool white beam, both the warm white.

So when I order, which one do I get? It comes in:

HD
HD NEUTRAL
HI
HI NEUTRAL

ven

Flashaholic
HD is high density iirc and domes, HD neutral same
HI is the flat dome like the xpl HI, which are more throwy and less tint shift(awesome and recommend unless want a more flood beam).

So for me, the HI neutral is the one , around 4000-4300k and has a decent punch to it.

If they dont show neutral, they are cool white, so 6000-6500k i would guess. White beam but may show some blue depending on ambient light and brain/eyes. The neutrals are easier on my eyes. All subjective of course...........

michiganstud

Enlightened
So I'd like the beam to be cool white and less throwey....more of a flood....So I wand the HD dropin?

ven

Flashaholic
So I'd like the beam to be cool white and less throwey....more of a flood....So I wand the HD dropin?

Yes, that would be the more suited option out of the ones on offer. I will add the HI is nothing crazy, its a balanced beam, hot spot/spill.

michiganstud

Enlightened
Yes, that would be the more suited option out of the ones on offer. I will add the HI is nothing crazy, its a balanced beam, hot spot/spill.

Ok! Thanks! Looking for that perfect balance! This one sounds like what I'm looking for.

Something I can clear a room/house with or look for a bad guy in the woods or field.

Last edited:

michiganstud

Enlightened
I placed my order for the XHP35 HI single mode and got my order in three days!!!

This thing is a beast....very bright. Has enough bright spill for close up work and building clearing, but enough throw to definitely do an outer area search like a back yard or woods.

Very impressed. Going to do some run time tests, and see how much this thing heats up after use.

It is equally as bright as my new Streamlight HLX 1,000 lumen light.

If this one works out I'll buy them for all my surefire/solarforce lights.

ven

Flashaholic
Glad happy, i was presuming you were going to go for the xhp35. For me, the HI every time, yes more punchy, but in these small p60 reflectors.................nothing crazy or too intense. Pretty powerful all rounder imo. Also the "tint" consistency is nicer/better on the HI LED's over the domed imo. Same with the xpl HI LED.

Bummer id30209, hopefully very soon,might be a customs/Christmas hold up thing going on.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would be a couple of good Sportac P60 drop-ins to use in a Pila GL4? Runs on either 2x18650 or 4xCR123A. Would like NW tint and at least 2 modes. I'm guessing Sportac P60 XHP35.

Last edited:

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I wanted a two mode only light for work with decent throw. When it gets dark really early I carry my Hound Dog 18650, but prefer something more slim the rest of the year to fit in front pants pocket, but I still need decent throw. I recently bought the Sportac 2 mode P60 module CREE XP-G2 neutral. I put it in a Malkoff VME head on MDC 16650 body. I use a 16650 and carry 2CR123s as back up. I am very happy with it so far (only been one week). The durability will be tested because I definitely drop my lights at work, so I will see how it holds up, but have read good things.