Sprucing up my Maglites, Recommendations, Tips, Advice sought.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
I see the Malkoff XP-G2 drop ins are running at 1A draw. I might pick one up anyways. I dont need that kind of output really though.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I would advise against larger Mags in general for in-car use; temperatures inside your car regularly exceed what alkaline and rechargeable cells can withstand. Lithium primaries should be your only in-car battery, and since they're not made in C or D sizes, those size flashlights should be avoided for car use.

Larger Mags do, however, make excellent long-term power outage lights. The more modest LED output drop-ins paired with a high cell count means many hours of non-dimming output, and since the light won't be moved around much, it negates the weight and size of the flashlight.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Thanks StarHalo. I didnt know that about Alkalines and NiMH Rechargables. And down here in Charleston SC, it gets blazing hot inside the parked vehicles.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
I see the Malkoff XP-G2 drop ins are running at 1A draw. I might pick one up anyways. I dont need that kind of output really though.

In six cell lights, i imagine the batteries are not seeing that load, just the emitters

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

darkknightlight

Enlightened
I would advise against larger Mags in general for in-car use; temperatures inside your car regularly exceed what alkaline and rechargeable cells can withstand. Lithium primaries should be your only in-car battery, and since they're not made in C or D sizes, those size flashlights should be avoided for car use.

I did not know that regarding nimh cells, thank you for that information!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Well here is what I have just ordered...

TerraLux K2 6EX (older version)
TerraLux 1F
Nite Ize 1 Watt LED Replacement
Fusion 36
Pelican Big D Replacement Bulbs 24w and 11w

And this GoldLED Bulb which requires the batteries be reversed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380395805139

I already have these...

Maglite 5 Cell Xenon
Craftsman Variable
Terralux 6exb
Terralux 6ex
Various Mag Kryptons

Looking for...

MagLite Upgrade LED
EverLED
Rayovac/Dorcy LED Bulbs

Those MagLite Upgrade LED bulbs are hard to find!

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
My local Sport Chalet carries the NiteIze and Dorcy drop-ins; the caveat is that store-bought drop-ins usually have poor output and beam shape, but the upside is runtime. The NiteIze 10mm (the one that looks like a bulb, the LED is as wide as the base) will give you over 150 hours regulated in a six-cell config..

wordwalker3

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I updated an old 3C maglite I purchased in the early 70's with an led dropin from malkoff devices. They even designed an adapter sleve allowing me to use the dropin in the older light. I couldn't be more pleased with it. That light has been around a long time and it was difficult thinking of getting rid of it. The upgrade gave sufficent reason to keep it around a bit longer. They also have some other interesting add on's as well. good luck with your projects.
Wordwalker3

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Maybe Ill do extensive beamshot pictures and runtime tests. Nothing too fancy. And post up my experience with these various bulbs.

I picked up

5 Schott Borofloat 52mm x 2mm lenses.

4 Aluminum Orange Peel Reflector with Screw on Cam.
1 Aluminum Smooth Reflector with Screw on Cam.

Thinking about trying one Aspheric, but not sure what to get or where.

5D probaby gets the ROP treatment with 6C Cell NiMH Rechargables in PVC sleeve with the Lower Power Bulb in the tail cap.

Fusion 36. Might pick up another Mag (perhaps 4D) to run the Fusion in if I like it. Ill try it out in the 5 D first.

3D probably retains the TerraLUX 6EXB or perhaps a MagLite Upgrade with one of the lower output LED bulbs in the tail cap for runtime switch over.

The 3 6C lights will probably be running TerraLUX 6EXs (depending on testing between it and the MagLite Upgrade) with a lower output LED bulb in the tail cap.

All will get Borosilicate lenses and Aluminum cammed dimpled OP reflectors.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
All kinds of fun bits and pieces to play with, sounds like a good time.

The one Mag I own is a TerraLux TLE-300 with a UCL lens, powered by 6xAAs in adapters, with a FlashCap on the tail. 600 lumens from 11 inches of Mag, fun stuff..

i7PXufU5h1avP.jpg

idQ5CgfwbiKIp.jpg

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
That is pretty sweet! Is that custom (the flash cap)?

I looked at that TerraLUX 310M-EX, but cant use it in the old style Mags.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Cool!

So many Maglite knick knacks out there!

Itll be good to get the lights up to snuff for another 20 years of use though.

Ill contemplate those and glass breaking caps down the road. Ive already put a bit of money into the project. But it will be fun and a learning experience. Guess I couldve bought new flashlights instead. Plus Ill have saved a few lights from oblivion/trash heap.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
I can always sell the three 6C lights for $125 a pop on ebay later and then use what Ive learned to buy new lights, batteries, chargers and accesories! Though the 6C lights are my favorites. Id like to pick up some vintage Rayovac and Eveready flashlights and upgrade them as well.

Looking forward to it all!

Thanks again for the advice and tips. Keep em coming.

I really like those dual focus aluminum reflectors of fivemegas, but he's all out.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Id like to pick up some vintage Rayovac and Eveready flashlights and upgrade them as well.

Anything that has a PR-based bulb, which is most older lights, accepts Mag bulbs/drop-ins, excepting those that need heat sinking. An old 2D can be 140 LED lumens with the TerraLux drop in, or use 2D/6AA adapters and the Mag 6D bulb, 220 lumens..

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Cool beans.

Shame I missed out on the MagLite Upgrade bulbs when they were available. Probably go with the TerraLuxes because they are plentiful. But Id like to find a MagLite Upgrade bulb just to check it out. Probably isnt that much difference between them to matter though, from what Ive read. And the TerrLUXes are more flexible, whereas the MagLite Upgrade bulbs are voltage specific, the TerraLuxes have a broader range.

Ill give the easy Halogen and Krypton mods a shot too. We'll see how it goes, what I like and what not.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-G Malkoff's all gone.

Thanks again.

I think the dimpled orange peel reflectors help with the LED beam quality as well.

I DEFINITELY recommend going with an orange peel reflector with the Malkoff drop-ins. I have a couple of Malkoff drop-ins in some Mags. And with the stock reflector, those lights are basically all throw. If you try to get more flood, you end up with a donut hole. This is, of course, the fault of the Mag optics rather than the Malkoff drop-in. And upgrading your reflector improves matters considerably.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
From what I have heard, Mag tends to replace lights rather than repairing them. So if you have an put of production light like a 6C, you might want to inquire about this before sending in your 6C and never seeing it again.

Thanks a MILLION! If I could just get switch heads for them, I would be OK, I think. Maybe Ill inquire about that as well.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If the older Mag takes the same switch as the current one, that's an easy fix; you have to replace the switch for the hotwire mods, so the instructions for replacing/swapping out the switch on a Mag are here on the site several times over. A replacement C-body swich and an allen wrench, and you're good to go..