Sprucing up my Maglites, Recommendations, Tips, Advice sought.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
If the older Mag takes the same switch as the current one, that's an easy fix; you have to replace the switch for the hotwire mods, so the instructions for replacing/swapping out the switch on a Mag are here on the site several times over. A replacement C-body swich and an allen wrench, and you're good to go..

They dont. Maybe I could buy a cheaper smaller non-6C older maglite and rob parts. Or perhaps somebody around here might have some.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently picked up a couple of older Mags (2C and 4C) on craigslist for $10 each. If you can find something like this, you're good to go. Also, one difference between C lights and D lights is that the switches on the C lights easily come apart when you remove them. Because of this, you might be able to take them apart and clean them to the point that they will work.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
So I called 2 regional Warranty Service Centers. And they said that they are replacing these with bad switches with newer style 6C incandescent models. I think Ill go that route.

They said these newer model C Cells have a slightly larger barrel and use the same switches as the D Cell models. And of course other changes to the head and tailcap and so on and so forth.

Of note, they said that if the batteries leaked, they will not honor the warranty unless they are Duracell, Energizer, or Rayovac brand batteries. Which mine were a mix of...LOL!

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are they going to replace your light with a new one that is no longer in production? I would clarify this with them before doing ANYTHING.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
He says he has two 6C Cells in stock (the newer version not the older version). And will ship these out as replacements, as they have no switches for the old C cell lights. I agreed to this. He told me that this is MagLite policy. Ive already shipped them out.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully, that's what they'll send you. The reason why I bring all of this up is that I recall on another forum, someone had a 5C they were sending back to Mag because of corrosion. And Mag was going to replace it with a new 4C since that was the closest thing that they still had available.

Of course, this all has me wondering why Mag decided to axe these lights in the first place. Given what they go for on ebay, people clearly still want them. And when it comes to production, making a 5C or 6C vs any other C cell light only involves making a different tube. You would think the least they could do is some sort of limited run.

Last edited:

Jimson

Newly Enlightened
Of course, this all has me wondering why Mag decided to axe these lights in the first place. Given what they go for on ebay, people clearly still want them. And when it comes to production, making a 5C or 6C vs any other C cell light only involves making a different tube. You would think the least they could do is some sort of limited run.

Failing that, why not produce some extension tubes of various lengths? I'd say 1, 2, and 3 cell sizes would be about right.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
But if they've got a few 'new old stock' 6C lights hanging around for warranty replacement, I'm guessing they probably use PR style bulbs.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Be aware that Mag revised their incan lights sometime late last year, they are now bi-pin and not PR-bulb based.

Man, it's tough to keep up with the times. He said these were 6C and as far as I know (which isnt much) they dont make those anymore, when they switched over to the bi-pin style.

The bi-pin style probably maes hot wire mods easier though, heh? Dont know if that is the correct terminology for using bi-pin bulbs in Mag mods for high voltage high output modifications.

The guy said he had two right there. But didnt know what was coming down the pike before my lights got there. But also said 4 day usual turn around time, but if he had to order something then it would be longer.

Crosses fingers.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get non-Mag extension tubes for the D lights on ebay. But I have yet to see ANYTHING for the C lights.

As far as the new bipin lights, the sockets are plastic. So they would have a tendency to melt down if you tried to use one for a hotwire setup. Overall, the new setup is kind of a lose-lose situation since all the drop-ins (and other mods) are based on older lights with PR sockets. Yet you also can't use them for hotwire setups.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
You can get non-Mag extension tubes for the D lights on ebay. But I have yet to see ANYTHING for the C lights.

As far as the new bipin lights, the sockets are plastic. So they would have a tendency to melt down if you tried to use one for a hotwire setup. Overall, the new setup is kind of a lose-lose situation since all the drop-ins (and other mods) are based on older lights with PR sockets. Yet you also can't use them for hotwire setups.

That sucks.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
When I get some stuff in, I report on my experiences. I think the reflectors from Kaidoman might take a while from what Ive heard though.

ThrowerLover

Newly Enlightened
While you're sprucing up your Mag, consider wrapping some silicone based tape around it. In addition to adding a TerraLUX TLE-6EX to my 4D Mag-beast, I put some of this 'self-fusing' tape around the head

and the tail

Let's face it - one of the biggest reasons to keep a flashlight of this weight and size is BECAUSE of its weight and size. However, I've always felt the Mag-beast was a little too slick if my hands are wet or extremely dry. This tape really aids in gripping, especially if it ever gets to be "clobberin' time". So, used properly in the right circumstances, I guess the flashlight and I both now have longer run times. (I have to admit that as much as I love the beast, I now mostly leave it by the front door or take it with me on road trips. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it, and it's been fun reading the process you're going through on yours, but my reasons for keeping it are fewer and fewer. Maybe the main reason I hang on to it is because most of my flashlights make my world brighter and safer, but the Mag-beast also makes it slightly less intimidating. That will always be worth something.)

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the reflectors from Kaidoman might take a while from what Ive heard though.

They sure will take a while! If there's one thing Kaidomain is known for, it's slow shipping.

While you're sprucing up your Mag, consider wrapping some silicone based tape around it. In addition to adding a TerraLUX TLE-6EX to my 4D Mag-beast, I put some of this 'self-fusing' tape around the head

I wouldn't advise doing this, at least with a high power drop-in. It may not be a terribly bad thing with the Terralux. But with, say, the Malkoff XM-L2 drop-in, if you do this, you are basically covering the heat sink area. This light already gets quite warm in this area with nothing covering it. But I'm sure that, if you wrap it in tape, it will only get hotter. This may not be such a problem with lower output inserts. But with anything that has any kind of output, you want to keep the bottom of the head free and clear for heat dissipation. Cutting some fins in the head might not be a bad idea, either.

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened

Thanks for the recommendation ThrowerLover. Ill probably pass on this one, but I appreciate the tip. I was also reading here about with regards to frosting the lens with Krylon spray paint and also using Scotch Tape as a diffuser. I love these type DIY tips!

The Mags have been turned into a fun learning project, instead of a little loved embarassment around here. So there is that. There are millions of these things around, and because of that and there sturdy simple build, seem to be a modders favorite around here. Use of a flashlight as a weapon deleted - Norm

In the end, I guess I have a soft spot for MagLites, and they are still Made in USA, so they have that going for them as well.

Im excited about trying out the various bulbs in the MagLites!

Last edited by a moderator: