• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Spy Upgrade thread part 2.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really want to do this but I'm just having difficulty justifying having $350 orginal cost + $185 upgrade = $535 into this light. This light is my EDC and I absolutely love it. It's just the best dang light and I like some others have contemplated just getting another new one. And to be honest I really would love to have a Cree version (don't ask me why because I don't have a good reason).

I'm still on the fence, unfortunately, so please defer my position while I mull it over some more.

I agree and sympathize with everything you are saying here. The cost is high because we spent so many months getting this all ready. That includes the work that went into the STFu and getting the upgrade kit parts made.

All I can tell you is if you do spring for Wayne's upgrade you will be happy with the lights new level of operation. I don't recommend anybody upgrade purely on the increased brightness of the Seoul. That would not be enough to push me over the edge. Forget about all the easter egg fluff too. But the basic converter board function is something else. The smooth changing of power with no flashing between levels is, IMHO, the point.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine back. Nice work Wayne and Dave. The tailcap is very difficult to remove with no batteries installed. The upgrade is worth it, IMHO.

Thanks

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I only made Seoul upgrade kits for the chrome 005's. There is a big difference between the Cree and Seoul 005's. Please see the sales thread for details.This upgrade project was difficult enough on its own. I did not want to further complicate Wayne's task by offering the Cree LED.

Cheers
Dave

Link

I believe this is the post you're referring, too. The Cree would require a new reflector and the labor to modify it? and of course, a Cree. Anything else?

OK, thanks.

BN

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think the primary reason for the upgrade is the converter board. There is such a big difference. While not immediately obvious since it works transparently.

Some of the first generation converter board short comings were:

1) flashed between positions.

2) Possible damage or killing the converter IC on high.

3) Converter IC does not have thermal overload protection.

4) It was hard to dial down below 7mA and get the converter board stable. For many level 1 is too high.

The new converter board Dave spent a lot of time to ensure that the converter does not flash at the all important lower levels and from off to the initial first level. Flashing at lower levels for even a slight moment impacts the night vision. Level 1 or for that matter any level can be adjusted up or down as desired. Especially true is level 1. Some like it lower, some like it higher. Some like it exactly where it's at. Just like the three bears!!!

I would have to rank the next important reason to upgrade is to get the custom 0-80 nut installed to hold the converter board down. Once upgraded when you take the batteries out the converter board is held securely in place and there is little chance to have the switch disengage.

Last of all the features I would consider the Seoul LED/reflector combo. The Seoul LED is a great LED and the tint of the bin I'm installing is a nice white.

Of course that's my 2c worth. :grin2:

Wayne

fasteddie

Enlightened
Having owned a classic, and now an upgraded neo-classic, I can say it is absolutely worth it. It was great to be able to have the 5 levels of the classic, but the low wasn't low enough and the hi wasn't high enough. Now, with the customizable levels, and a brighter emitter, I've got level 1 turned down to about the brightness of a tritium capsule for locating purposes, and the high setting tweaked up a bit. Gives me all the brightness I could want in a compact light. Level 2 is set to a level that won't disturb anyone when I'm skulking about the house late at night. And the level setting interface is pretty easy to master. Much easier than the HDS and Novatac, IMHO. Well worth the cost if you're still on the fence.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I believe the reason for the apparent larger beam is it's brighter. I could be wrong, but, take two lights with the same reflector with one light being twice as bright as the other and compare the beams. I believe the brighter one will appear to have a larger hot spot.
Wayne
Wayne,
I tried that with two SPYs and with two P3D-CE's and you're right. I think there may be two reasons for this. One could be that the brain interprets beamed light as brightness + diameter and automatically expands apparent diameter as brightness increases.

I think the second reason is that the dimmer light immediately surrounding the hotspot (not the dim large diameter "spill") is so much brighter than before that it becomes visible as an extension of the hotspot rather than being drowned out by the hotspot. I believe this applies even if the
previous proportion of hotspot to surround brightness remains the same. These are just guesses. I'd be interested if you have other explanations.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Wayne,

When I send in my SPYs, one of them (the HA NAT one) was "SeoulMated" by Scott and has an excellent Seoul and a wide-dispersion reflector that puts out a beautiful wide beam which is great for rural darkness but not quite penetrating enough for my relatively bright urban environment.

Is it possible for you to decide whether the installed Seoul or the one you will install is brighter/warmer, and return the remaining Seoul along with the reflector? If this takes extra time/effort please feel free to charge me for your time.

Thanks,
Brightnorm.

Rudi

Enlightened
Received mine. The results are well worth the expense. Thanks Data & Wayne for making this upgrade available.

Now can someone please point me towards the instructions for fine-tuning the brightness at each level. Thanks.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help me out here. Even with limiting the number of lights to upgrade I'm having a hard time tracking here on this thread who's light I've finished.

When you get your light back could you post here so that we can update the list.

Wayne

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne,

When I send in my SPYs, one of them (the HA NAT one) was "SeoulMated" by Scott and has an excellent Seoul and a wide-dispersion reflector that puts out a beautiful wide beam which is great for rural darkness but not quite penetrating enough for my relatively bright urban environment.

Is it possible for you to decide whether the installed Seoul or the one you will install is brighter/warmer, and return the remaining Seoul along with the reflector? If this takes extra time/effort please feel free to charge me for your time.

Thanks,
Brightnorm.

Brighnorm,

That sounds reasonable. I won't know how much time/effort that will take and it shouldn't take much additional time to determine this.

I'm not clear exactly and let's see if I understand this (correct me if I'm wrong). If the existing LED is warmer and brighter you'd like to keep the existing LED and migrate it to the new converter board.

Is this correct?

What if only one of the two conditions are met. Let's say the existing LED is warmer, but, the new LED is brighter. What are the conditions and rules I should follow to determine which LED to use?

Wayne

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Brightness trumps warmth. IOW if the new Seoul is brighter but colder it is still preferable to the existing Seoul.

Thanks,

Brightnorm