• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Spy Upgrade thread part 2.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received mine back today, very nice precision work Wayne. Haven't had time yet to learn the new UI, but it's working great, thanks!

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any comments on beam tint, brightness, pattern?

Brightnorm

Tint is nice and white, perhaps slightly cool.

Brightness is what you'd expect from a Seoul @ 1A - bright. You can dial up the current with the new UI if desired, but it's plenty bright as is.

The beam is very nice as well with a large hotspot and smooth transition to spill. Not as focused a spot as a larger reflector or even a McR20S, but it's about perfect for general purpose.

I'm very happy with it.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Apparently ... as I just got my shipping notification ... :party: :D
Thanx for the quick turnaraound !!!
bernie

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Wayne,

Have you received my three SPYs yet? Sent insured mail 10/17/07

Brightnorm

Bernie,

Any comments you'd like to make concerning brightness, beam pattern and run time compared to other bright led lights ("Seoulmated" HDS, Fenix 3PD Premium 100, P3D Q5, etc)?

BN

Last edited:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne,

Have you received my three SPYs yet? Sent insured mail 10/17/07

Brightnorm

Bernie,

Any comments you'd like to make concerning brightness, beam pattern and run time compared to other bright led lights ("Seoulmated" HDS, Fenix 3PD Premium 100, P3D Q5, etc)?

BN

Your lights have arrived safely. I started on the first of the three and still in process. I'm doing one of the regular ones for now and I have not looked at the special to see what the effort will be.

Wayne

Kiessling

Flashaholic
BN ... it is brighter for sure. It is really bright. Beam pattern is smooth and I think the hotspot is a bit larger and softer than before, which is good. Although I must admit that I do not have a comparison any more (duh! :D ), so I might be wrong.
Level scrolling is fantastic, and the low level is just right ... meaning LOW. You can look at the bare LED without seeing spots afterwards.
I dod not check the easter eggs or other gimmicks of the board, they do not interest me. What is really great though is the fact that the switch no longer disengages without batteries.

In the end ... the upgrade was well worth it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, despite the price-tag.

The only thing I discovered is that level6 is not that far from level5 brightness-wise, at least for my eyes. But that is really minor.

bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Well, I have to admit that after some brand new batteries, the level spacing up to level 6 is perfect. WHile this is of course very good news, it also makes me look bad :sick2:
2 sets of old batts. THis is a shame. I am sorry for the confusion I may have caused ... the level spacing is perfect.

bernie
:aaa: