Streamlight new Protac HL4 and Super Siege

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I received my HL 4 today. Very very different from the 3. Pattern is very wide and much more yellow. No outside time yet to report on. The grip is nice but a much larger beast overall.

Got one on the way myself. Dawg-gonnit! Now I'm excited...c'mooooon Wednesday...

Don't know how you feel about the much more yellow, but I'm glad to hear that. Especially for the 60 lumen setting.

When I read 30k candela I figured ProTac HL beam on steroids.(ie 75 yard mega bright wall of light with some throw beyond that)

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my HL 4 today. Very very different from the 3. Pattern is very wide and much more yellow. No outside time yet to report on. The grip is nice but a much larger beast overall.

If this produces a more neutral white, I will have to get one. I have really enjoyed my Fenix CL25R, which has a tint that I would actually consider the warm end of neutral white, probably between 3000K and 3500K. Everything about this new Streamlight lantern looks good to me, but the possible cool white tint is what has been holding me back.

Gus Tomer

Newly Enlightened
I rarely write reviews but, I've been using Streamlight Products since 2001 and I feel compelled to write this one. I'm a casual flashlight user, so forgive my testing methods and my failure to include important details. I've had the ProTac HL4 in my possession for 12 hours before this review.

The Pros - 2,200 Max Lumen, Uses Two 18650 Li-ion Batteries.
The Cons - Switch Location, Switch Program Modes, Function of Use
The Verdict - The ProTac HL4 is a High Quality Chinese Knock-Off and Uncomfortable to use.

Please allow me to defend these statements. In order to assist this review, I will be using my recently purchased Streamlight Stinger LED HL w/ Ni-MH as a baseline to compare. The Stinger model has been my go to flashlight over the years. I've used almost every bulb / head / LED variant that has come along, and it's by far the best light I've found for my application. Don't get me wrong, it has it's drawbacks too. More on that later.

The batteries used in the HL4 for this review are Olight 18650 3.6V 3400 mAh (the Streamlight branded 18650's are 3.7V 2600 mAh).

On my scale the HL4 (w/ batteries) weighs in at a portly 17.5 oz. or 500 grams. The Stinger LED HL (w/ Ni-MH Battery Stick) weighs in at a svelte 11.5 oz. or 330 grams. Right off the bat, the HL4 is substantially heavier and it gets worse.

The HL4 uses a tail cap switch. Tailcap switches work great on small flashlights that are about as long as the width of a humanoid palm. When I grab the HL4 and turn in on with my thumb, there's 4.5 inches of flashlight hanging out past my pinky. And, that's where the majority of the weight and bulk is. This is a non-issue with the Stinger LED HL because of its natural switch placement.

After handling the HL4 for a few minutes, (running through the TEN-TAP programmable switch), I picked up the Stinger LED HL. Whoa, what a difference. The Stinger felt like a feather filled with helium. The switch location on the HL4 is a huge disappointment and may be a deal breaker for some users.

The TEN-TAP programmable switch is another disappointment. Your choices are; High/Strobe/Low, High Only, or Low/Med/High with a light press activating momentary of the first mode of a selected program.
In comparison the Stinger LED HL switch in my opinion is the best in the business. Light press is momentary High, long press cycles High, Med, Low (release for desired power), one click is High, and two fast clicks is Strobe.
With the HL4, depending what program you've selected, you either lose Medium or Strobe. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

The build quality, materials used, and overall fit and finish of the HL4 appears and feels very different than the Stinger LED HL. The Stinger looks and feels way better. The threads on the Stinger battery cap even feel better compared to the threads on the HL4's tailcap and head bezel.

I measured the amperage draw of the HL4's Low/Med/High settings using my Fluke 115 Multimeter. I obtained the readings by removing the tailcap switch and attaching my meter leads to the negative terminal of the bottom battery and the flashlight body contact ring. Low 60 Lumen was steady at 53 mA, Med 600 Lumen varied between 545-555 mA, and High 2,200 Lumen varied between 2,700-2,900 mA with an average of 2,860 mA.

I haven't figured out how to measure the amp draw on the Stinger because it uses that stupid proprietary battery terminal system. Thanks SL. As a reference I measured the amp draw on my Streamlight TLR-1 HL 800 Lumen with two primary CR123A's and it was 2,200 mA.

So, to wrap it up. Do I regret my purchase of the Streamlight ProTac HL 4? I sure do. If I could return it without paying a restocking fee and return shipping I would send it back to Shenzhen, Guangdong or whatever dimly lit, dirt floor factory this "flashlight" came out of. In my opinion Streamlight committed a fumble-rusky on this one. I can only assume this was a rush to market endeavor in response to cheap Chinese eBay flashlights taking a bite out of Streamlights market share.
If you only had around $100 to spend on a high quality mid-size flashlight, I would recommend the Stinger LED HL and not the ProTac HL4. The Stinger LED HL has its cons and I'll describe them now.

The only major design flaw in my opinion with the Stinger LED HL is the proprietary battery stick and charging platform. These two components have remained basically the same since the 90's and even earlier. The actual flashlight has undergone steady improvements over the years but, the battery and charger have not.
The batter stick is made up of 3 separate sub C size cells wrapped neatly with a proprietary terminal system. This is good for Streamlight because it's almost like a quality control issue so the flashlight is only fed high quality batteries. But, this is restrictive and dare I say "bad" for the end user because, it severely limits battery options.

The charger is a "semi-dumb" charger, meaning that it's not a fully microprocessor controlled smart charger. I hooked up my Fluke 115 to the internal terminals of the charger and monitored a charge cycle. I started the cycle with a depleted battery stick and the voltage at the terminals started around 4.2 volts. About every couple of seconds the voltage would increase by 1 hundredth of a volt (that's 0.01V). About 10-11 hours later the voltage stopped increasing at around 5.2 volts.
This was easy to monitor because the Fluke 115 has a Min/Max feature that emits an audible beep every time the voltage changes (I set it to Max). I know voltage is only half the story and I failed to monitor the amperage but, I already knew I wanted an improved battery / charging platform and I found it.

Looking for better alternatives I found Streamlight sells a Li-ion battery stick for the Stinger series rated at 3.6V and 2200 mAh for around $30. I read some reviews and peopled loved it for being lighter and having a lower self discharge rate. However you still have to use the old semi-dumb charger. I still wasn't satisfied.
I was looking at my other flashlights and pulled out the battery. It just happen to be an Olight 18650 Li-ion rated at 3.6V and 3400 mAh. I thought to myself, if only there was a way to run the Stinger LED HL on a single 18650. Hmmmm.

I just happen to have an old Stinger Ni-CD battery stick that would only last 30 minutes compared to my fresh Ni-MH that was lasting 1hr15min. I figured, what the heck? I got nothin' to lose. I disassembled the old Ni-CD battery stick and salvaged the precious proprietary terminal. I fitted terminal around the 18650 cell and even reused some of the factory heat shrink material from the old Ni-CD and voila, a miniature Stinger battery stick.
The whole thing is about 2 ¼ inches shorter than the normal battery stick. Both the positive and negative terminals are at the top of the battery now, so I just needed a spacer or something like a wood dowel. I couldn't be bothered to drive to the hardware store so I returned to the closet where I found the old Ni-CD looking for a cylindrical shaped 2 ¼ inch spacer.
To my surprise I found a live 12 gauge shotgun shell. Remington Gun Club 2 ¾, number 8 birdshot to be exact. Try not to laugh too hard. Cue The Red Green Show music or dueling banjos. I removed the birdshot and gun power from the shell, dropped it in, installed the end cap and bang. Just kidding, it worked like a charm.

By doing this crazy, crazy mod I gained three things. Weight loss, increased run time, decreased recharging time. The weight went from 11.5oz. / 330 grams down to 9.5oz. / 265 grams. Now it feels like a feather filled with helium under water.
The Ni-MH battery rated at 2200 mAh was giving me 1hr15min of runtime on high. The Li-ion Olight 18650 rated at 3400 mAh is giving me 1hr45min of runtime on high, that's 30 extra minutes. Another thing to point out is when the Olight 18650 battery is depleted and voltage drops to 2.5 volts the protection circuit trips and the flashlight shuts off. When the Ni-MH battery is depleted and the flashlight is on high setting, the light will flicker and then drop to medium and eventually low power.
Charge time on the Ni-MH battery with the standard Streamlight cradle charger takes 10-11 hours. I'm currently using a Nitecore D4 Intellicharger (current model) for the Olight 18650's and the charge time is 6-8 hours.

As far as the next evolution of the Stinger model goes. If Streamlight would just configure it to run on two 18650's and increase the max lumen to an even 1,000, I and all the other Stinger users would be happier than a pig in sh*t. Pardon my French. Are you listening Streamlight?

rishabharies

Newly Enlightened
I rarely write reviews but, I've been using Streamlight Products since 2001 and I feel compelled to write this one. I'm a casual flashlight user, so forgive my testing methods and my failure to include important details. I've had the ProTac HL4 in my possession for 12 hours before this review.

The Pros - 2,200 Max Lumen, Uses Two 18650 Li-ion Batteries.
The Cons - Switch Location, Switch Program Modes, Function of Use
The Verdict - The ProTac HL4 is a High Quality Chinese Knock-Off and Uncomfortable to use.

Aww man, i was really looking forward to this light. Tried ordering one but shipping charges were to much for me to digest. Even tried to get my tool guy to order one for me but he said it would be a while before he gets it.

But this just kinda set me off. Am i still gonna get one, probably in a few months if i actually see if before buying it.

Thanks for a very honest review, i do like my stinger hpl and hl3.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Stinger and ProTac are different animals.

I appreciate the candor, but it's like comparing an apple to a pine cone.
I personally would love to see Streamlight use the Stinger/Strion UI in other lights. But they choose to TenTap the ProTac series.

When faced with day to day action the Stinger is fine. Yet the ProTac series are designed to be more durable. Stinger vs say the tracks of a tank or an earth mover won't stand much more chance than a can of peas. ProTac lights on the other hand are more apt to survive such an ordeal...of course it's heavier.

Glass vs plastic lens, thick vs thin body, etc etc.
My 2 cell Protac HL feels darn near as heavy as my Stinger LED.

If grams matter go with a Stinger. If chances are 50/50 your light may tumble down a rocky mountain, ProTac.
Stingers are Streamlights rechargeable answer to MagLite C size.
ProTac are made to do battle with serious combat light makers like SureFire and Elzetta.
I'm excited to try it out when it arrives.

Rubberized body cover, adjustable for 16 or 18mm cells for max grip in heavy action or weapons mounting. Double coated borofloat lens, TenTap to high only capable, tail cap switch....even if it feels like the weight of a 2D Mag. When shtf I'd much rather have my current ProTac lights over a Stinger.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Got the HL4 today. Supposed to have arrived in 2 more days. Yessssssss! (Shipped on Friday 2 day priority)

Re-enforced concrete wall of a fairly neutral tint of light.
Holy Cow!

I'll add more in a bit. But for now I'll leave it at 'this thing is the real deal'.

rishabharies

Newly Enlightened
Can someone please advise me where i can get a hold of this light and won't have to break my bank on shipping charges, please!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I got mine from Brite Guy. I'm implying by your post you're not in the US.

I'm going to showcase a few photos of said light but will do more in depth stuff after a day or 2 of using it.
Here goes:

Streamlight put in some little primary hugging devices on 3 sides at 4 points. Little devices that push in when using larger than 16mm cells or primary magazines.

To change the TenTap momentary is the way to go. Clicking 10 times with all 2200 lumens is a drag at best, and unless you're fast it's a waste of good eyesight.
From the factory it's high/strobe/low. Setting 2 is high only. 3 is low/medium/high. I bought one for the 600 lumen medium.

The lens is frosted. I really thought that strange at first. But I think Streamlight was figuring massive wall of light for 800' on this one. I'll know after dark.

The beam is not your typical pure white Streamlight is famous for. It's more on the fringes of a cool end of neutral.

It aint a Stinger. It aint a pocket light. It aint a lightweight. But it is a heckuva a lot smaller and lighter than many 2000+ lumen flashlights.

It is forward weighted due to a massive head (vs previous HL's). Think MD4 Wildcat. But it's not that difficult to use the tailcap. Especially if you're used to the dual switched Stinger.

The only 2 things about it related to a Stinger is it's black and it's made by Streamlight. It ends there.

It's dark out. I get to go play now.

15 minutes later edit:
Impressive. Not because of some purely bright as the sun nonsense. Nope. Streamlight built a light that lights up the night 2 football fields away without self blinding you as light hits nearby objects. By far the most even lighting of any flashlight I own.

Wall shots show a spot. And like a Malkoff product it blends into spill very gracefully.

That's the best one for what I mean. Medium and high from 15' are exagerated.

On low the 60 lumens will serve many duties for lighting up a 35' distance. The medium gives you a familiar 2 cell ProTac HL beam. But with many hours of runtime.

Oh, and it tailstands with the supplied wrist lanyard attached.
Lots of little details that will surely go un-noticed by most were put into this fine new product churned out of the minds of those guys in lab coats at Streamlight.

Made in China. I'd prefer it were at least US assembled. Other than that I have nothing negative to say about this light. And that's an observation, not a complaint.

Here it is vs the 2 cell HL and a Powertac 850 Warrior.

Last edited:

rishabharies

Newly Enlightened
I got mine from Brite Guy. I'm implying by your post you're not in the US.

I'm going to showcase a few photos of said light but will do more in depth stuff after a day or 2 of using it.
Here goes:

Im up in Toronto and shipping from US websites is $60 and upwards. It's costing me more to ship it here from the States than shipping similar sized lights from China.
I understand it's FedEx shipping or something similar but some other options would've helped. I haven't checked Brite guy but I will soon.

Also, Im not sure if it's just me but I cant load the picture you posted.

Thanks.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Im up in Toronto and shipping from US websites is $60 and upwards. It's costing me more to ship it here from the States than shipping similar sized lights from China.
I understand it's FedEx shipping or something similar but some other options would've helped. I haven't checked Brite guy but I will soon.

Also, Im not sure if it's just me but I cant load the picture you posted.

Thanks.

That's crazy! $60!!! Bright Guy ships usps.

Something is screwy with either the photobucket site or my app. Just updated it because while I was sleeping Google decided to upgrade my os.

I can see the pic on my phone. But like I said something is amiss somewhere. I have a few pix to share but they are stuck in cyberspace right now.
Ended up doing an uninstall/reinstall.

Tailstanding. But it's major top heavy vs a 1" tailcap...hmmm

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
ugh...Imma gonna have to give a h*ll no to both these lower end SL's still using old Luminous emitters 100% China made gear. Bought into a couple HL's and they were a couple of the worst lights I ever bought. SL has a MASSIVE catalog I cannot tell the Pennsylvania made gear from most the junky even for China stuff anymore. Just know the HL's I had were not anodized they were freaking painted with brush strokes terminating just inside the tube. Beam profiles were just..short range bizarre splotches. Paid over $100 each. POWERTAC....oohhh nooo...guess Ill just haphazardly carry around armloads of awesome yet odd sized lights for camping and stuff. 8800mah battery pack for the lantern eh? Man...Pennsylvania first responders almost all use SL's cause the factory is right there just cannot figure out which ones. Surefire in the bottom post although another CR123 vampire is a good one and priced almost sanely. Hmmmm...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
ugh...Imma gonna have to give a h*ll no to both these lower end SL's still using old Luminous emitters 100% China made gear. Bought into a couple HL's and they were a couple of the worst lights I ever bought. SL has a MASSIVE catalog I cannot tell the Pennsylvania made gear from most the junky even for China stuff anymore. Just know the HL's I had were not anodized they were freaking painted with brush strokes terminating just inside the tube. Beam profiles were just..short range bizarre splotches. Paid over $100 each. POWERTAC....oohhh nooo...guess Ill just haphazardly carry around armloads of awesome yet odd sized lights for camping and stuff. 8800mah battery pack for the lantern eh? Man...Pennsylvania first responders almost all use SL's cause the factory is right there just cannot figure out which ones. Surefire in the bottom post although another CR123 vampire is a good one and priced almost sanely. Hmmmm...

Well...don't buy a Streamlight Oscar.

Last edited:

FollowGAAP

Newly Enlightened
Since Streetlight announced the HL 4 I have been eggar to read about the function, durability, feel etc. Based on the discussions in this thread, it may not be a good choice.

I am looking for a nice heavy-duty flashlight for camping, hiking, hunting, etc. I want a bright and powerful light. I thought the HL 4 would be just that. I am not sure which brand or model to go with. I like Streetlight due to their reasonable price and reliability. (Based on what I have read.) I have only owned cheap flashlights to this point. My brother likes Surefire flashlights. He has had good luck with them. However, I have read bad things about Surefire too.

Currently I am considering the Surefire Titan Plus for a small pocket flashlight. (Despite all of the issues with the crown-turn activation.)

I will still need a heavy-duty flashlight. For those of you who have the HL 4 do you think it is built well? If I do not get the Hl 4 I may purchase the HL 3. Thoughts?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Since Streetlight announced the HL 4 I have been eggar to read about the function, durability, feel etc. Based on the discussions in this thread, it may not be a good choice.

I am looking for a nice heavy-duty flashlight for camping, hiking, hunting, etc. I want a bright and powerful light. I thought the HL 4 would be just that. I am not sure which brand or model to go with. I like Streetlight due to their reasonable price and reliability. (Based on what I have read.) I have only owned cheap flashlights to this point. My brother likes Surefire flashlights. He has had good luck with them. However, I have read bad things about Surefire too.

Currently I am considering the Surefire Titan Plus for a small pocket flashlight. (Despite all of the issues with the crown-turn activation.)

I will still need a heavy-duty flashlight. For those of you who have the HL 4 do you think it is built well? If I do not get the Hl 4 I may purchase the HL 3. Thoughts?

Welcome to the site.

The HL4 is a brand spanking new product. Along with that is an emitter that puts out double what the HL3 does. So there needs to be some time before it's known if this light system will be able to hold up. Now typically Streamlight puts out reliable products. I do not expect this to differ (otherwise I would not have bought it).

For durability purposes Streamlights in general are highly regarded by folks who need reliable lighting in a hand held platform.

They do not specialize in whiz-bang gadgetry, nor fashion of the month flavors. Like their direct competitors they stick with what works time and time again.

Here at cpf you will see many threads mentioning reliability or warranty issues regarding several companies. Streamlight is not one of them.

Many will say cops and such carry Streamlights due to being dept issue. Although that is largely the case for the big ole SL20, the backup light used is paid by the individual, and many pick Streamlight Stingers, Strions and ProTacs for good reason.

Now for whether the HL4, 3 or other light? You won't go wrong with a SureFire, Malkoff, Elzetta, PK or Streamlight.
You just need to decide on things like how bright vs how far, runtime, weight, size and user interface that suits your individual needs/wants.

Gus Tomer

Newly Enlightened
ProTac HL 4 Runtime Update;

Manufacture Claim with Streamlight brand 18650's 2600 mAh
High 2200 Lumens 1hr45min
Med 600 Lumens 4hr15min
Low 60 Lumens 43hr

With Olight 18650's 3400 mAh.
High 2200 Lumens 2hr20min
Med 600 Lumens 5hr30min
Low 60 Lumens Not Tested Yet

During my test with the power setting on High the light appeared to get considerably dimmer at the 2 hour mark and then ran for another 20 minutes before it shut off. I suspect the last 20 minutes, the light automatically powered down to the Medium setting before it shut off. I checked the batteries and one of the cells had "tripped" the circuit protection. The other battery read 2.5V under a 1500 mA load and then quickly tripped to zero.

During my test with the power setting on Medium the light appeared to maintain the same brightness level from start to finish. The light shut off after 5 hours and 30 minutes. I checked the batteries and they did the same as before.

So far I kinda like the medium setting the best.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
ProTac HL 4 Runtime Update;

Manufacture Claim with Streamlight brand 18650's 2600 mAh
High 2200 Lumens 1hr45min
Med 600 Lumens 4hr15min
Low 60 Lumens 43hr

With Olight 18650's 3400 mAh.
High 2200 Lumens 2hr20min
Med 600 Lumens 5hr30min
Low 60 Lumens Not Tested Yet

During my test with the power setting on High the light appeared to get considerably dimmer at the 2 hour mark and then ran for another 20 minutes before it shut off. I suspect the last 20 minutes, the light automatically powered down to the Medium setting before it shut off. I checked the batteries and one of the cells had "tripped" the circuit protection. The other battery read 2.5V under a 1500 mA load and then quickly tripped to zero.

During my test with the power setting on Medium the light appeared to maintain the same brightness level from start to finish. The light shut off after 5 hours and 30 minutes. I checked the batteries and they did the same as before.

So far I kinda like the medium setting the best.

Great info. Thank you. Also thanks for the draw number. Sounds like my kinder/gentler 18650's need to be used elsewhere and something with a bit more oomph will need to be used in this one. (Bought 'em for non insta-poof of incan bulbs)

Yeah I bought it for the medium. I'm still see-ing spots from repeated (futile attempts to) TenTap adjusting so I could have a medium. Like I said it can be programmed using momentary (thank goodness). My rickety thumb just aint fast enough to click it fast enough.

2200 lumens vs sunshine pix

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been curious about the HL4 since it was announced. I have no Streamlight products and was thinking maybe this could be my first but with the new Convoy L6 only weeks from being released I'm going to hold off on the HL4 for a while. It does seem to be a very nice light with really good runtimes.

Gus Tomer

Newly Enlightened
The Maglite D Cell Traffic/Safety Wand works well.
I took photos but, I can't figure out how to post them.
Forgive me, I'm new.