Streamlight Strion vs ???

JMFWSU

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm considering going with the Streamlight Strion. Any issues with this light. Are there any other lights I should be considering in this price range? Rechargeable is nice, but not necessary. Is Surefire really that much better of a light than Streamlight?

Thanks

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I'm considering going with the Streamlight Strion. Any issues with this light. Are there any other lights I should be considering in this price range? Rechargeable is nice, but not necessary. Is Surefire really that much better of a light than Streamlight?

Thanks

IMO, yes. Are you looking at the Strion LED, or incandescent?

dansranch

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Thanks

Better than Streamlight for what purpose? Give us a thumbnail sketch of what you will mostly be using the light for, and then we can do a "form follows function" analysis of your use and recommend a light.. In any even you will just get an opinion, there is a lot of built in bias in thee type of reccomendations.. And Oh yes, tell us what $ dollar amount you would be comforatble with, tell me what at what price point do you feel a pinch-point and want to stay below...

JMFWSU

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses so far. I have very little knowledge about lights, but here is my criteria so far:

Small enough to fit in pocket if needed--maybe 6" or less
Powerful enough to be my primary flashlight around the house--I live in a rural are so it would be nice to be able to clearly light up spots up to 100 yards or more away.
Durable/Waterproof
High Quality
Good Warranty
Made in the USA
$100 or less

Bob Damon

Enlightened
Surefire really is that good.

However, for general use, many less expensive brands are fine.
Some well regarded all around lights that are less than $100 , are a combination of throw and flood, and much more powerful than the Strion: Fenix PD35, Thrunite TN12, Olight M22, Zebralight SC600, Nitecore P12, or Klarus XT11.
You can see a comparison chart of these lights in the Fenix PD35 Review.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?381867

dansranch

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses so far. I have very little knowledge about lights, but here is my criteria so far:

Small enough to fit in pocket if needed--maybe 6" or less
Powerful enough to be my primary flashlight around the house--I live in a rural are so it would be nice to be able to clearly light up spots up to 100 yards or more away.
Durable/Waterproof
High Quality
Good Warranty
Made in the USA
$100 or less

Well the re-chargable feature is really nailed by the Streamlight Stinger and Strion series.. I have two current stingers and and they are excellent, and the Streamlight customer service and 100% warranty is first cabin. If anything goes wrong with your Streamlight just UPS it back to them, they will lifetime repair and send it back at no charge. Also they are still made in USA, but check with Streamlight on that, because some production on some of the lesser lights in the line, like Streamlight Protac 88030s, are now made in China, but still meet Streamlight QA, and are very good lights. If the rechargable thing and the made in USA then I think Streamlight is a very good choice for you. Companies like Fenix are 100% China owned and operated. Fenix is making their UC line that is recharagble, but I don't really know anything abouot the light. You can search "Fenix UC" here on CPF and there are threads about it.

Don't be put off by the fact that Streamlight does not recieve much love here on CPF.. This is a Forum for buffs and collectors and weirdo engineer types (like me
rolleye11.gif
) so you have to realize that things like Streamlights are of little interest to them. That however does not mean that Streamlight is not selling very well made, very well engineered, lights that are a perfect fit for day to day use in a commercial environment. I have had Streamlights for over 25 years, and can personally vouch for the company, it lights, and its excellent USA based design and product support.. If it were me I'd go ahead an get your Strion and then fool around from time to time with the upper end stuff that you see discussed here on CPF..

Actually my specific reccomedation to you would be a: Streamlight ProTac HL 3. As an example of why I say this, I happen to have a Zebralight SC600 KkII, the SC-series that the other responder mentioned would be too small for your use, and not light up a lot in your rural home at 100 years.. You need something with very good power, a balance of flood and spot that reaches, and something that you can have "around the house" for long periods of time but when you grab it it is full power, so you need to be looking at the Cr123s with a 10 year life span that is in the ProTac HL3. Yes, I understand that you will not be able to look up the ProTac HL3 here on CPF and hear a bunch of ohhhs and ahhhs, but just deal with that like a man. You will have a killer light that you can depend on, no ifs ands or butts. When you walk out the back door and point it 100 yards out into your woods, you will see everything !

Here's the spec on it : http://www.streamlight.com/static/document/fact_sheet/223.pdf

PS: I just 'winked off' you need for 6" or less. The HL comes with a nice belt mounted holster. I am reading between the lines on your post, and I think you need something that you aren't really going to find in the 'less than 6' arena
icon7.gif

Last edited:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Strion is an excellent turn-key solution, especially if you're not obsessed with getting the newest, brightest light every month. It has excellent warranty and good track record for reliability.

johndoe1027

Newly Enlightened
I have a Strion Incandescent. Bought it in 2005. I bet, if I could find it right now, it would work and it still has the original battery in it (that hasn't been charged in at least 4 months). It has served me VERY well and it's lived a hard life (I bet a new battery would knock my socks off though). That said, I found a ~$5 1xAA LED with zoom on ebay and picked up 10 of them. That's what is on my night stand, in the hall, glove compartment etc. They throw as far (or further) than the Strion when "zoomed in". That also said, the Fordex ebay cheapie is a total POS in comparison and when zoomed in the beam is a bluish square instead of a nice incandescent circle with faded edges... Apples and oranges. They both are able to check the far side of neighbors yard though.

One big note, docking the Strion in the charger is sweet. It's the only light I have that does that.

I'm no aficionado like many of the users here but did just get a Zebralight headlamp (H600Fw). BIG fan of it but not sure how their throwers perform long range. Beam pattern is a HUGE factor. My H600Fw is a 90 degree flood and does not reach anywhere near 100 yards, even at 970 lumen. My Strion will do maybe 100 yards (when focused) at just 80lm. Beam pattern is crucial when thinking about reach. For clearing the house I would want a spot/spill. The spot reaches all the way down the hall or across the yard but the spill allows you too see more lateral and vertical area.

You can't go wrong with Streamlight if you want USA owned and made. Surefire is awesome as well. Chinese lights are much cheaper but you have to watch out for junk no-name lights.

Think about a few things.

1 - Do you want multiple brightness levels? My strion has on/off at full power, not sure if that has changed. It's awesome for bumps in the night, blinding people and checking the far side of the yard. It's terrible for finding something in my car though. I've found the 0.06lm setting of my Zebralight surprisingly useful for traipsing around the yard at night and finding stuff in my car (while not letting everyone within a half mile know where I am).

2 - What beam pattern will fill your needs? A dedicated thrower will be best for reaching the farthest but if you're looking at something 6' away it will blind you (unless it has a really low mode).

3 - If you go rechargeable (which, as a 2nd day member of the 18650 club I highly recommend) what cell(s) do you want to use? Check lumens vs runtimes vs charge times.

4 - Don't nitpick lumen ratings between brands. They measure output differently so 100 lumens from Company A does NOT equal 100 lumens form company B. If one is 800 and the other is 920 there won't be much real difference. Check here and on the web for reviews and beamshots.

I'm not versed enough in all of the brands but I bet Bob Damon's list is a great start. Streamlight and Surefire are great options for US owned and (possibly) made. Zebralight, Nitecore, Olight, Thrunight, Klarus etc all make great lights as well. My next light will be from China (not even a "name brand" that I just listed). I love supporting US companies but my light habit can't afford it. :(

Trust me, this light will be for checking the yard OR carrying all day OR clearing the house. I got the ZL H600Fw for "everything" and after 1.5 days with it I'm already looking for an EDC handheld spot/spill. :devil:

Good luck.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight is a very good brand. I have owned Streamlight over the years, and they never failed me.