Streamlight tactical lights are pretty tough

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight makes decent lights. They were SureFire's biggest competitor in the early days of SureFire. Back then they could also gain military contracts since they were US built from US parts. Many special ops teams around the world still use Streamlight products.

SureFire stayed focused on tactical applications while Streamlight went into a few directions market-wise. In the tactical field they were always playing catch up to SureFire during the PK days. When PK left SureFire stalled out for a time and actually tried to be more like Streamlight in a few ways.

I personally own a lot more differing models of Streamlight than SureFire because they are so diverse in application where I stuck to a few models by SureFire since they were so dang good at doing what they do. Plus again thanks to John Matthews giving PK lots of space to create, there are a ton of SureFire modifications out there where Streamlight are so proprietary the LEGO thing requires work by craftsmen instead of plug n play items for SureFire lights.

Streamlight is a great company, but finding US built items from them these days is like finding an honest man in Parlement. SureFire still employs a lot more Americans per light than Streamlight does.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I am a huge Malkoff fan, and a "used to be" SureFire (and still like their older stuff) fan, I've always had a place in my heart for Streamlight.

Actually, I had/used Streamlight (1985) long before I knew about SureFires (I believe my first Surefires were in 1995 or 1996, 2- 6P's and a 9P) and have always found them (Streamlight) to be outstanding lights!

Best of luck to you, with yours!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
During the incan days dominated the portable primary fed market but their attempt at a rechargeable light flopped while Streamlight struck gold with the Strion. SureFire made their rechargeable numbers a lot longer than the 2 cell size while the Strion was small like the 2 cell models.

The E series is tough to beat even in 2019 but the early LED TL2 put out a great beam despite the numbers indicating a lot less. One of my favorites even today. The incan TL2 had a true shock proof bulb system with a dual spring set up compared to SureFires single spring, but the SureFire was cemented to the reflector where the Streamlight weak point was a bi-pin bulb.

Most don't know this but at one point SureFire used Streamlight bulbs until Carley came along and kept up with demand for the 6P.

The current Streamlight catalog is hige while SureFire is struggling to re-invent itself.

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
My first big boy light was a Streamlight. That was when I knew the addiction was real.

One thing I don't like, though, is their use of PWM in the specific lights I want (Microstream USB).