{{ Stuff that just works }}

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Monocrom --

My factory-stock Ruger 10/22 has gone through
* MANY THOUSANDS * of rounds, over the years.

Can't say I have EVER encountered a * JAM * !
( which was the fault of the gun )

But I DID have perhaps 3 rounds which Failed to Fire
after being struck by the firing pin.

Mine has been Amazingly Dependable and Reliable !

( just sayin' . . . . )

Monocrom

Flashaholic
One day in a doctors office I read the Kimber 1911 converted to a 22 has jamming issues with some rounds but not others.

It was a while ago so I do not recall which it prefered.

Guess what I'm saying is "have you tried different brands of ammo?"

No. But the one I used has a reputation for reliability. Still, it's tough to entirely blame the gun for the all the jams. It's firing .22s. There's a reason why rimfire ammo isn't used in bigger calibers. But also..... can't entirely blame the ammunition either.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
to Monocrom --

My factory-stock Ruger 10/22 has gone through
* MANY THOUSANDS * of rounds, over the years.

Can't say I have EVER encountered a * JAM * !
( which was the fault of the gun )

But I DID have perhaps 3 rounds which Failed to Fire
after being struck by the firing pin.

Mine has been Amazingly Dependable and Reliable !

( just sayin' . . . . )

I understand. Wish the one I used was as good as your's.

Honestly, very first time I fired the legendary reliable H&K MP5 (full-auto version); I didn't fire it. It jammed on the very first shot before going off. It should have fired. Checked it. Range Master came over. Even he had no clue why it didn't work. Great, I get my hands on something supposedly time-proven; and it refuses to work.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
One day in a doctors office I read the Kimber 1911 converted to a 22 has jamming issues with some rounds but not others.

It was a while ago so I do not recall which it preffered.

Guess what I'm saying is "have you tried different brands of ammo?"
Had pretty bad first hand experience with that issue. My neighbor and I were shooting at my range when the Kimberly conversion failed to fire. I tried a tap-rack-bang but the slide was locked up. I handed the gun to my neighbor (it belonged to him) and he was able to grab the slide and rack it, freeing the stuck round. The thing was, the round was extracted from the chamber but it got caught under the extractor at a 90 degree angle to the breech face and pointing out. When the slide slammed forward it pinched the rim of the stuck round and the round went off going through his hand. Luckily it was only minor tissue damage that resulted. He did everything correct when handling it, ran a clearing drill just like I'm sure many of us have, grab the top of the slide, pull back and let go. He just happened to have his hand still above the slide when the round went off. After some more break in time the gun ran like a champ.

I wish I could say the same thing. Even with standard Ruger 10 rounders, I've found the 10/22, even properly cleaned, hates a heavy diet of .22s. Typically one jam per magazine. Which I guess isn't that surprising since it's a semi-auto tossing out rimfire rounds. Often, brass flying out at weird angles. Ended up with one right between my eyes. (Thumbs up for shooting glasses.) One round jammed so bad I had to reach in and rip it out. The bullet was literally at a 90 degree angle to the casing. I didn't even think that was possible.

Excellent gun, lots of accessories.... Just a bit disappointing for me.
I have experienced a few jams like that and they ended up being caused by poor quality ammo that had loose crops on the bullets or a weak magazine spring that didn't get the round up far enough for the bolt to strip off the next round from the magazine.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark PRO QP2L-X, after four years of experimenting, I found a true love. For my needs, it just works.

iMac, after 16 years of always needing to fix my PC, I purchased an Apple. I love my iMac.

1994 Chevrolet Astro, 311,000 stop n go delivery miles. Every time I turn the key, it just works.

John Deer SRX95 riding mower. I've used it to mow an acre of lawn for 12 years. It's been the most trouble-free tool I've ever owned.

~ Chance

Wow, impressed, anyone I've known with an American car had nothing but issues or regret. I personally have zero faith in the American auto mobile industry and while I'd love to buy a car from an American company I just don't feel like dumping 30k into anything with a spotty history of reliability.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, impressed, anyone I've known with an American car had nothing but issues or regret. I personally have zero faith in the American auto mobile industry and while I'd love to buy a car from an American company I just don't feel like dumping 30k into anything with a spotty history of reliability.
Horrible automotive engineering is nothing new, but Volkswagan has taken it to a new height possibly entering criminal liability along with slopy engineering.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Horrible automotive engineering is nothing new, but Volkswagan has taken it to a new height possibly entering criminal liability along with slopy engineering.

VW is another company that has always been iffy in terms of reliability, they've been riding the 'german engineering' thing for too long. The recent revelations are pretty bad, fraud.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
VW is another company that has always been iffy in terms of reliability, they've been riding the 'german engineering' thing for too long. The recent revelations are pretty bad, fraud.
There is now an international class action suit againt Volkswagan; current owners now have pocession of an unwanted car whose value is almost zero value both monetary and in an envionment that is coping with smog caused by gasoline and diesel engines.

nbp

Flashaholic
Let's keep this thread about stuff that WORKS and not get too sidetracked by auto company lawsuits and bad ammo etc. Thanks. :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I keep buying Fords because Fords make good products.

Was raised by a repeat Ford owner who was the son of a repeat Ford owner.
Frankly every car breaks at times. But being in a Ford family we generally know what is wrong, why it broke and how to fix it. If not we know who does.

Foreign cars? No thanx...'cept my Honda Prelude. 19 years old (last month), 238k miles and just getting going. It was one of the 1st 97's to reach the US in 96.

Liked it so much I bought 4 of them in 013 (a 93, and 3 91's).
But I'm down to the 97 and 1 of the 91's, which is in mothballs awaiting January when it'll be labeled an antique. It's a low mileage car that's been garaged all but 1 year of it's life.

My son (who turned me onto the Prelude) has 3.
He broke the Ford chain and will only drive a Prelude (until a particular used Focus model falls into his price range)

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Have to agree. Regarding the wipes only though. The spray bottle is just awful. Smears all over the place.

Yeah, you can't spray it on like glass cleaner. You have to hold it real close to the window and just squeeze to let it "leak" out...then rub in with a towel. Or just use the bottle with a flipcap. Of course, you have to mist it with water afterwards to buff out the greasy residue (weird, but that's how it's supposed to work)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^This

I'm about halfway through a 10+ year old bottle.

Armor All on glass is similar to Rain X but doesn't last as long.

The secret is to clean, clean, clean the glass, then soak a paper towel with it and massage it onto the glass.
Then after a few minutes buff with a terry cloth or similar.

Takes about an hour tops. Yet the time spent causes the glass to bead at least twice as long.

I've had it last over a year before.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if it's available in the US, but Simple Green cleaner.
Gentle, yet works great on so many things.
Diluted it is great for soaking jewelery, watches, I spray it on my electric razor blade & screen,....

Also, hydrogen peroxide. Another great cleaner. It may sound odd, but it removes blood from clothing really well. Pet stains too, ...

Well, it was built almost 22 years ago. The next year I bought a new 1995 Astro van; nothing but problems.

~ Chance

Borad

Enlightened
Rubber gloves for washing dishes and cleaning. I experimented with brands that I could only find online in quantities of a dozen so I could find a really good fit. I searched for "canning gloves" and other gloves sold for commercial use. One brand was a fail (at the size I tried) the second brand was perfect. I still have 11 of the failed gloves sitting around. I guess I'll sell them on Ebay.