The long list of potentially useful stuff in bug out, SHTF, car kits, and more...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Apologies gentlemen for the long delay. What I thought would be a simple taste test ended up taking much longer as I tried to get as much information on the product as I could, and it just didn't happen. What I thought was a few weeks, apparently turned into months. Once again, apologies for the delay. Also, it seems Photobucket was invaded by a horrendous virus. As everything is beyond slow as Hell. This has been going on for the past 2 weeks, and others members have told me it's been a lot longer than that. Every time I try to access the site, my computer shuts itself down. Very frustrating. That means I can't post the photos I have of the product or of myself trying it out. As apparently ImageShack is suffering the same issue. Best thing to do is type the following below into your Image Search to get a good look at the product. I'll try to post pics. if one of those sites starts working, or if anyone can recommend a good free hosting site similar to those two, that will allow me to post pics. on CPF. So here's the review of....

The UST Emergency Food Ration Bars 2400 Calorie Per Bar:

Found this one day at Wal-Mart. Now right off the bat, I know these types of ration bars are not made with taste as the #1 priority. Not even the best tasting one out of all of them currently being made (the Tac-Bar with it's lemon flavor cake taste). These are made to be opened when things have really gone wrong, and gotten bad. Those who have done weekly testing of all the Emergency Food Ration bars out there, on YouTube, usually end up losing a pound or two after the week is over.

The UST variety is different than the others in that you could drive to your local Wal-Mart right now and pick these up in the camping section. The taste is indeed a hint of cinnamon and apples. Though, I'd have to say; not the good kind. And yes, I've been struggling to describe the texture of it. I'm sorry but the absolute closest thing I can come to is that the texture is like dehydrated and tightly compacted Halva. The variety without nuts or fruits inside of it. (And if you've never had this dessert popular in not just the Middle East but in Eastern Europe as well, I can't describe it.)

Properly made Halva is moist and breaks apart very easily. You will end up with tiny pieces of it stuck to your finger tips where you touched it. It's delicious and soft. Sometimes found in shops catering to Middle Eastern tastes. Always found in shops catering to Russian customers and republics that in the old days were slave territories of the former Soviet Union. You'll also find more reasonably priced caviar. (Seriously, Americans overpay for fish eggs to a ridiculous degree in other shops.) But back to the UST ration bars.

Vacuum packed. Good for 5 years, if stored properly. Can be used as an improvised brick if needed. Seriously, this thing could do major damage if you hit someone with it. That's how compacted down and dehydrated it is. In an odd way, you have to be on the verge of starvation, but with plenty of water around to eat this thing. Otherwise, you won't be able to get it down. Some have described what you get as a large cake with lines cut in it making up individual squares. Honestly, "Brick" really is a better descriptive word to use. And those lines are barely surface deep.

You can break the brick apart with your hands. And the lines do help a tiny bit. But you are not even remotely going to get a perfect square. Not even if you attempt to use a long and sharp knife to try to cut into the brick. And expect a whole ton of crumbs. You're going to want to put a paper towel underneath the brick to not waste any of it. Hope you've got strong teeth if you plan on biting into it. Otherwise, wrap your square piece in a paper towel and put that hammer you keep at your Bug Out Location (BOL) to good use. No I'm not joking.

For your BOB, you're better off with actual MREs. Though I recommend stripping them down the way soldiers often do. Basically out of the bag, open up the cardboard containers inside. Get rid of all the cardboard. Keep the accessory pak, spoon, Heater (if your MRE even came with one), main entree, dessert, drink mix pouch. Toss everything else. Do that to two more MREs. Then just put those stripped down contents into one MRE outer bag. Sew that shut. And now you've got three MREs inside a bag that held only one. And it's only a tiny bit thicker.

If you want the overall best ration bars, get the ones from Datrex. Those can be eaten without a gallon of water next to you. The bars are divided up on the inside into individual ones already and are individually wrapped. Plus, the taste is better than the UST ones. If you like the taste of lemon cake and want a ration bar that is genuinely a bit moist, there's the Tac-Bar.

So why bother with the UST variety? They're cheaper, if you buy the ones sold at Wal-Mart. And since they are sold there, you don't have to use a credit card to order them through the mail the way you would with the other ration bars. That can be a big plus to some out there. Not everyone has a credit card, a computer, or even a checking account for that matter. But everyone should have access to Emergency supplies. As we all know, bugging out isn't just because the end of the world has arrived. Sometimes it's about a massive weather disaster heading our way. Time to get out of Dodge and to your safe location (BOL). Or, time to hunker down in the cellar or basement with what you've got.

A few of these UST ration bars on your preparedness shelves at home or at your BOL can help you survive. Just ah.... Yeah.... Make sure this less-than-great tasting ration bar is not the only thing you have to eat. As an Emergency food source, it's average compared to the other Emergency ration bars out there. With one big advantage: Easily available right now. No need for a C.C., no need to order online, no need to wait. Hop in your vehicle and drive to Wally World to get a few of these before there's a disaster.

BloodLust

Enlightened
Thanks for the review!

I'm heading to Walmart this weekend to pick up some additional lights for the kids' & main BOB.

How much are they?
Still debating if I'll spring for them..

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review!

I'm heading to Walmart this weekend to pick up some additional lights for the kids' & main BOB.

How much are they?
Still debating if I'll spring for them..

Happy to help. At the Super Wal-Mart nearest me at the official beginning of West Long Island. These are about $6.oo or $7.oo each. And I bought them without any sale at the time. (Also, you can get these online at Wal-Mart too for $4.97)

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Yeah, and we know how well that's going to go. :rolleyes:

I'm going to tread lightly a bit since the last thing I want is this topic veering off the cliff of "Controversy."

All that the Government needs to do is re-stock the bomb shelters that existed during the early Presidency of Kennedy. Back when he publicly said Americans can survive a nuclear disaster. An outlook that changed a bit later on. When the Government started spending tons of money on huge, massive bomb shelters.... For Government officials, their aides, and immediate family ONLY. And, stopped re-stocking public bomb shelters with necessary supplies.

There's a rusted, faded sign for one such shelter literally a block from where I live. If you ever gain access to one, you'll find expired rations from the 1960s. Containers of water you don't want to drink. And dead Geiger counters. Along with a few other things. There's nothing wrong with the shelters themselves. Government just needs to start re-stocking them across the country on a regular basis. And, bring back the Civil Defense program. Done!

Nothing else needed. Anything else would be wasteful fluff. I see the same thing all the time with guys asking about AR-15s. "What aftermarket parts should I put on it?" Honestly?.... Buy a quality one right from the start (that's going to be over $600.oo). Get a lightweight fore-end. Then either a red-dot sight mounted on top, or a quality scope if you plan to use it out to beyond 150 yards. Done! You need nothing else. Everything else is fluff. Wasteful fluff.

For individual citizens, I recommend picking up The book on surviving a nuclear attack. Yeah, it's old. Some of the technology info is outdated. But it's still the book on the subject.

"Life After Doomsday"
By: Bruce Clayton PH.D

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
With Regards to Air-rifles:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted to mention this as I see a place for them. (At least the ones specifically for adults.) First, a word on how not to use one. I see no reason to toss one into a Bug Out Vehicle (BOV). And certainly no reason to tote one around if you're unfortunate to be bugging out on foot. When bugging out, either on foot or in a vehicle, nothing should get in the way of getting to your Bug Out Location (BOL) as absolutely soon and fast as possible. If you find a secure place to camp just for the night (so you can get some much needed sleep), something like an automatic fishing reel at a nearby river; makes sense. It works while you sleep.

Taking time away from getting to your BOL, with the exception of sleeping to rest up before continuing along to your BOL; is just asking for trouble. Hunting has its place in a Bug Out situation. But I feel it is best employed after getting to your BOL. This is where the air-rifle for adults comes in. One or two pre-arranged at your BOL, before needing to Bug Out, is a great way to hunt small game. And, without using up precious ammunition that you might need for bigger game, or defending yourself and family from predators that might come by. (And I mean both the 4-legged as well as the 2-legged variety.)

500 rounds of air-rifle pellets will easily fit into a jacket pocket. Even with .22LR ammo, that ain't happening. Even better, get two tins of pellets at 250 rounds each and toss one in the left pocket, and one in the right. Practically no sag at all. Takes up a lot less space on the shelves than .22LR ammo too. And in case anyone thinks these guns are toys. I learned that if you get one rated at 1300fps (with the right pellets), you will outperform (in terms of velocity anyway) literally every single commercial .22LR loading, except for two. That is not a typo. Obviously, a .22LR will do more damage. And most such rifles aren't single-shots like the pump style air-rifles.

However, for small game hunting, if you're patient; you can put meat on the table. A good .177 caliber air-rifle made for adults will set you back about $300.oo (maybe a bit less). I know that sounds a bit pricey. But ammo is absolutely dirt cheap, readily available, doesn't weigh much at all, and takes up even less room than .22LR ammunition. It's a great way to supplement your limited food supply at your BOL. (Especially if you bugged out with your family, and have plenty of mouths to feed.) It's also a good way to practice your aim without using up your live rounds. Or, to help teach other family members how to shoot.

And here's something very interesting.... Don't assume that air-rifles are illegal where you live, just because you happen to live in a jurisdiction that only pays lip-service to the Constitution. Air-rifles are legal for adults to own in a surprising number of Ban States (or Ban Jurisdictions). If I had to hazard a guess why, I'd say because the politicians are busy banning guns they see as bigger priority. With air-rifles, even adult air-rifles being at the bottom of the list. Also, a lot of folks do look at them as toys. Good! Let the political hoplophobes think of them as toys, and they can continue to fly underneath the radar.

It's worth looking into if they're legal to own, even if you live in a repressive Ban State. You just might be surprised. A quick trip to one of the better stocked sporting goods stores might be all it takes. This would be even more vital as an air-rifle at your BOL might be the ONLY rifle at your BOL.

Use it strictly for hunting when you get there. Trying to bluff a potentially armed looter while on your way there, not a good idea. Air-rifles look different enough that plenty of folks can tell one from a rifle that shoots bullets encased with gun powder to back them up. And capable of more than one shot at a time. Yeah, you might hit the guy through the eye with your one shot. But that's horribly unrealistic. Or, possibly getting detained/arrested due to Marshall Law because an LEO spotted you with it in your hands before you got to your BOL.

I've said it before.... If it's not a Take-Down model carbine/rifle or a collapseable one that can be hidden inside a pack, you're better off not taking it with you while Bugging out. Even if you have your vehicle. A well-hidden handgun under your coat makes you look like a non-threatening individual to others. Especially local LEOs who might be on edge because of the terrible regional emergency causing everyone (including you and yours') to flee. Remember, this is the ideal time for looters and others of their kind to "come out and play." Local LEOs won't know that you're just trying to get to safety. They see you walking around visibly armed, they're not going to assume the best of you or your intentions.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Probably best not to use while vehicle is in motion. ;)

Stay tuned guys, I'm testing out a set of items for potential bug-out use. Will need a bit of time to conduct proper testing. So we'll say look for an update soon instead of in a few days.

BloodLust

Enlightened
Went to Walmart but didn't have time to browse. So I just picked up the Energizer flashlight/lamp I wanted but they changed the lamp LED to a cooler one.

We have a Potette Plus 2-in-1 in the car for the kids.
Potette-Plus-cOPje.jpg

It turns the waste into a gel.

Some urinary bags for the adults.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Pocket Juice Battery banks:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, once again, a bit longer than expected. But ready to post the results of my unofficial testing. All testing done on my Kyocera Hydro Smartphone. The importance of a Battery Bank in a Bug Out scenario is often overlooked because people either overlook them, or feel that any situation requiring the use of their BOB automatically means the Grid will be down; and thus their phones won't work anyway. So why include something to charge up a useless phone.

However, as we've seen, a situation requiring the use of a BOB can include local emergencies. Not just national, or regional ones. In some cases, your phone, tablet, or laptop will still be useful. Even to the point of being able to make phone calls to let loved ones know that you are fine, or that you need help. Perhaps to say you are on your way to them until this blows over, and when to expect you. (Obviously, better if you made arrangements with them ahead of time to put you up if the brown stuff ever hits the fan in your neck of the woods.)

While such banks are not an absolute top priority, they are useful to have. I tested three from Pocket Juice. I'd heard excellent things about Anker. But the Pocket Juice line is available locally from Wal-Mart. The first is their "lip-stick tube" model. The Pocket Juice 2,000mAh Solo Power Bank.

With a claimed ability to give up to one full charge to your smartphone, I found with testing that the key words are "up to." I was able to only consistently get 50% - 55% of a charge after first making sure the bank itself was fully charged up. Honestly, that's only useful for an EDC bag or a small, lightweight Get Home Bag at the very most. We're talking an emergency charge.

Next up is the 6,000mAh model. This one is shaped like a somewhat thick rectangle. But compact overall for a battery bank. The claims on the packaging are that you can charge up a typical smartphone 3 times and a typical tablet, once. Again, "up to." Once again, realistically expect a 50% - 55% charge on your tablet, and one full charge on your dead phone, along with enough "juice" left over for half a charge. Again, assuming the bank has a full charge itself before you start.

The 6,000mAh version is going to be the best choice if you're going to realistically be bugging out by yourself and you're not hopelessly addicted to your phone. If you are addicted, or likely to travel with others, or plan to bring a tablet with you; the next bank I tested will be a better choice. However, it's going to be both a bit heavier and bulkier than this version.

The 12,000mAh model gives you 7x the charging ability for your phone and 3x charging ability for a typical tablet. (Once again, keep all the cautions mentioned above in mind.) Divide those charging capabilities by about half to get the realistic number of charges you can expect.

I found that overall, all three performed reliably. No issues, and no surprises (excluding the over-inflated charging capabilities of all three banks as stated on their packaging). I had an opportunity to buy a 20,000mAh version as well. But good gracious! It weighed nearly as much as an actual brick, and no doubt would do some serious damage if flung it at someone's head! No thank you. However, if you're the type who is horribly addicted to their electronics and would fiend over keeping them running longer; consider hefting around this incredibly weighty bank. Not for me, and not for most looking to put together a good BOB. One final note: All three of the larger ones mentioned come with built in micro USB plugs to charge up your devices. They also come with fold-down prongs for use in a wall socket to charge up the banks themselves.

Below are links to all three I tested. (As you'll see they're available in pink or black, whichever your prefer. ;))

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pcket-Juice-12-000mAh-Battery-Pack/46543872

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pocket-Juice-6-000mAh-Plug-Pink/47194708

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pocket-Juice-2-000mAh-Solo-Power-Bank-Black/46444846

*Note: Scroll down a bit after each page loads.

Also, if you'd like to dwell on the lessons taught in the A. American "Survivalist" series of novels; check out my Book corner topic on CPF in the link below:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho...ner-insights-Survivalist-series-by-A-American

Last edited:

BloodLust

Enlightened
Power banks give out only 60% of their rating to protect the lithium-ion cells inside.
A reputable company will state that.

I have a Sony lithium polymer 5000mah power bank and it is stated in both the manual and on the unit itself that only 3000mah is available for use. I've seen some other models and brands that do this.

In my BOB, I have a Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel and Guide 10 Plus battery bank. Can run off AA's.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If that's the case, I didn't see it. Then again, might be buried in the very fine print. Instead of 60%, I was only ever to get 55% in my testing, at best.

I also have the same solar panel and battery bank as well. To be honest, I'm not sure if the solar panel isn't fragile enough to be in a BOB.

BloodLust

Enlightened
The tube type ones usually just have a single 18650 inside it.
Kits are available if you want to use your own 18650. Put in a reputable one rather than depend on power banks where a lot use refurbished batteries.
https://m.banggood.com/USB-Power-Bank-Case-Kit-18650-Battery-Charger-DIY-Box-p-961269.html

There are multi-cell ones too.
TOMO-V8-4-Intelligent-portable-DIY-display-power-bank-18650-battery-charger-case-5V-2-1A.jpg_640x640.jpg_.webp

Put in 3500 and up mAh ones and you get 14k mAh (7k at 50%).
I have an Olight UC or Xtar XP1 in my BOB to charge li-ion and Ni-Mh cells with the solar panel. Might add a single bay li-ion charger with USB output/power bank function and just keep 18650s in a spares carrier.

Last edited:

BloodLust

Enlightened
What experience do you have to know that power bank manufacturers are using refurbished cells?

The off brand ones. I was talking to an electronics supplier/distributor and he gets off brand power banks from China. He told me that the ones he brings in use refurbished cells that's why they're cheap. I've even talked to a battery supplier.
Even those that I bought elsewhere, I haven't had much luck. Never reached even the 50-60% of claimed capacity.
So I went with an original Sony. A bit expensive for the capacity but performance is consistent.
IIRC, it stated in the manual how many % it was still working depending on the number of cycles it's been through. I also like that they stated that it's a 5000mah unit with a useable output of 3000mah.

Unfortunately, lots of fake ones where I'm from. So much that I've seen manufacturers put "original new Samsung" or "original new Panasonic cells inside".

I've been hearing good things about Anker. I'm willing to give the brand a try.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
I can certainly vouch for
the Quality of the Anker products !

( Big Thumbs-Up here )

And they make no secret of the fact
that only about 2/3rds of the " Battery Rating "
(which is at a nominal 3.7 volts for Li-ion cells)
will be available in the form of 5 volts from
the unit's USB port.

I have several Anker USB power-packs,
and love 'em all.
But THIS one is probably my favorite,
because its small, compact size
slips easily into my jeans side pocket,
and can be carried all day long,
without my even noticing it's there !

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XS9RMWS/?tag=cpf0b6-20

BloodLust

Enlightened

( Big Thumbs-Up here )

the unit's USB port.

Good to know. Seems to be another reputable brand.
Highly recommended as well by most where I'm from.

markr6

Flashaholic

( Big Thumbs-Up here )

the unit's USB port.

I have several Anker USB power-packs,
and love 'em all.
But THIS one is probably my favorite,
because its small, compact size
slips easily into my jeans side pocket,
and can be carried all day long,
without my even noticing it's there !

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XS9RMWS/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Dirt cheap now, for quality! I have an old 5200mAh version that I probably paid $35 for years ago. Good stuff!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For those interested, Wal-Mart brick & mortar stores now carry a few different Anker chargers.