{{ Stuff that just works }}

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The reason I chose the "referee style" whistle to pass out to coworkers is the sound is easily recognized by most people.

One night while watching paving a car was about to enter the work zone and I hollered but the guy standing behind a flat bed truck about to be killed did not hear me. Luckily for all involved a big loud guy was standing next to me. He was watching the pavers. I tapped him on the arm and pointed to the car approaching the worker. He let out a loud "hey" with his air horn shrill voice, the worker looked at him. He pointed to the car. The worker at the last split second jumped out of the way taking the guy standing next to him with him.

It was so close I had turned my head away because I couldn't bear to see a man be smashed against the back of a flatbed truck by a car going 55mph. Likely cut in half.

"THUD!" The car smashed into the truck without even slowing down. Shocked, the rest of the workers all jumped out of the way. WTH?!?!? I tapped the guy next to me again and asked "how does it feel that you just saved that man's life?" He said "I did?" and passed out. lol.
IMG_4993.jpeg

The crash
I was standing near that bright sign on the other side of the road with the other inspector.

IMG_4994.jpeg

The two workers who may have died had it not been for the loud guy.

Had I had a referee whistle on my person that night things might have been different. The driver was taken away in handcuffs for being drunk.

Another time it was a different result and the whistle might have saved a man's life one Saturday morning. That's why I carry one and give one to new employees. If the scoff "pfft what's that for?" I show them the photos above.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Raggie- I've got a half dozen Zebco 11T reels. They make good stuff, inexpensive, and they work. 👍👍👍

Got a "K-Mart 'blue light special'" Zebco rod and reel when I was five years old, as a gift from my grandfather. Still had the thing forty years later ... and it still worked well. Had used that on lakes and a few times on the ocean. Once caught a small yellowtail tuna on the thing, believe it or not. Simple, reliable ... as you say, it "just worked." Probably cost grandpa about $5, back then. Probably the single best purchase I've ever witnessed, in terms of squeezing utility out of an inexpensive thing. Best gift ever. As a five year old kid, I was over the moon with the thing; as a middle-aged guy, still amazed at how darned functional and reliable the thing was. I'm all for a $700+ Daiwa reel, but darned if that old $5 Zebco didn't get the job done.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Zip ties:
Last night one of my attic fans got to roaring like a wounded seal with a megaphone around 11 o'clock when a cold front was moving in.
IMG_4153.jpeg

I climbed up in the attic with my jammies on as it woke me from a sound sleep. I hooked two zip ties together, grabbed a stabilizer bar with one hand and a blade with the other. Fastened those two zip ties together to hold it still.

As luck would have it the wind settled down right after that. 🥴

Benchmade knives come with an excellent pocket clip that will grab into your pocket tighter than the IRS on April 15th. Of course, this otherwise praiseworthy feature also makes the knife that much harder to bring into action quickly. Whatever that action might be does not change the aforementioned fact. Exacerbating that potential issue is the fact that some among us have dry or calloused hands that impede a solid purchase on anything short of wet super glue. Well, there's a solution to that issue regardless of one's skincare regimen, and I have applied it to nearly all of my Benchmades.

First, Talon Grips makes a generic sheet of their pistol grip material intended to be cut into custom shapes. Here is an anticlimactic photo of said material.
20240319_184535.jpg

Second, Benchmade has excellent customer service and will send you (for free) as many spare pocket clips and, more importantly, the accompanying screws, as you ask for. (I suppose that there is a limit, but I asked for three sets, and they didn't even begin to fuss. They wouldn't even let me pay for them, and I, following their good example, didn't even begin to fuss either.) If you are still with me, what follows is my method for making a Benchmade knife grabbier on the draw.

Trace the pocket clip by running a pencil over some paper. Cut out the clip-shaped part of the paper and use that as a template to trace its outline onto the paper backing of the Talon material. Trim the shape from the Talon material with a hobby knife and clean it up with scissors to a degree commensurate to your level of neurosis. Apply to the clip as per below. While most of my Benchmades are Griptilians, the upper knife is the Adamas with the bare (and slippery) metal clip, and the bottom is the Mini Adamas with Talon applied. Your trigger finger will readily engage the Talon material. In case you're wondering why I left the full-sized Adamas stock, it's because I don't carry it. It weighs a ton, and I... don't.
20240319_184944.jpg

By far the easier part of this mod is to add the spare screws (using a #6 Torx driver) to the clipless side of the ambidextrously designed scales. See? The object is to install the screws just enough to fully grab the liner but to allow plenty to stick out for your thumb to dig into while drawing the knife. I recommend using LocTite, because there is no significant friction keeping the screws in place and having them fall out is far less of an issue than having them scraping the blade. (In the absence of the clip, the screws can actually reach the blade.) Be careful if using LocTite around finished wooden scales. Loctite and wood finish are mortal enemies. I had to refinish an entire wooden rifle stock years (decades) ago when I unknowingly introduced the two.
20240319_185016.jpg

Below is essentially the positioning by which I grip my Benchmade when drawing from the pocket, and although it doesn't look like much of a mod, it makes an immense difference. "It just works."
20240319_185055.jpg

Edited due to insufficient sarcasm.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Got to be honest, I've found that an easier solution is just to carry a knife without a low-profile carry-clip. That way you've got plenty of handle material to grip onto when you need to quickly reach for your knife. As far as being low-profile goes, I've found that a black clip with black screws, on a black handle scale worn with black pants works far better than a typical low-profile clip on a knife.

Got to be honest, I've found that an easier solution is just to carry a knife without a low-profile carry-clip. That way you've got plenty of handle material to grip onto when you need to quickly reach for your knife. As far as being low-profile goes, I've found that a black clip with black screws, on a black handle scale worn with black pants works far better than a typical low-profile clip on a knife.
I was unaware of such an option. Where do you obtain a larger clip than the one the knife comes with? Or do you simply purchase a knife that already has a larger clip?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I was unaware of such an option. Where do you obtain a larger clip than the one the knife comes with? Or do you simply purchase a knife that already has a larger clip?
Check Etsy for possible aftermarket clips for your Benchmade knife. I've found a few that have the screws mounted in a way where the clip sits lower on the handle scale. Thus, giving you more handle to grip near the top of the scale. But that's just not possible with certain knife models. Especially if the mounting holes for the screws are too close to the top of the scales. In that case, yes; you'd have to purchase a different knife model that already comes with a non low-profile clip to start with.

Check Etsy for possible aftermarket clips for your Benchmade knife. I've found a few that have the screws mounted in a way where the clip sits lower on the handle scale. Thus, giving you more handle to grip near the top of the scale. But that's just not possible with certain knife models. Especially if the mounting holes for the screws are too close to the top of the scales. In that case, yes; you'd have to purchase a different knife model that already comes with a non low-profile clip to start with.
Good info. Thank you.

Good info. Thank you.
Benchmade will also send you clips from other knives in their lineup. Many are cross-compatible. The three hole pattern should be the same as the clip for the Osborne 940. Just let them know what model you have, and what type of clip you're looking for. They will figure out what is compatible.

I have a 940, and for a while wanted a deep carry clip, so I asked for a Bugout clip and screws, but found the deep carry creates a hot spot on my palm when gripping the scales. I went back to the standard 940 clip and to this day, I feel that is the best clip among all my knives.

I agree with Monocrom, in that a standard non-deep carry has ended up ideal for me because like you, I need more grip due to dry skin. The exposed screws on the standard clip allows for better purchase on the knife to draw reliably. This is also why I opted for the non-deep carry on my Hogue.

image.jpg

Benchmade will also send you clips from other knives in their lineup. Many are cross-compatible. The three hole pattern should be the same as the clip for the Osborne 940. Just let them know what model you have, and what type of clip you're looking for. They will figure out what is compatible.

I have a 940, and for a while wanted a deep carry clip, so I asked for a Bugout clip and screws, but found the deep carry creates a hot spot on my palm when gripping the scales. I went back to the standard 940 clip and to this day, I feel that is the best clip among all my knives.

I agree with Monocrom, in that a standard non-deep carry has ended up ideal for me because like you, I need more grip due to dry skin. The exposed screws on the standard clip allows for better purchase on the knife to draw reliably. This is also why I opted for the non-deep carry on my Hogue.

View attachment 59464
The fluorescent bulb in my head slowly flickers to life. :ohgeez:Thank you for the photo. I'm not a "knife guy" except in the pocket toolbox sense (Leatherman, SAK). I see that the difference between low and high ride clips is in the shape of the clip as well as (potentially) its positioning on the knife. I misunderstood the term "low profile" to mean "smaller clip." You guys are giving me ideas of my own that might lead to some voided warranties. (Yep, I did not pull that screenname out of thin air. ;))

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Clips on multis or knives have been out for me once I started carrying a fone. I think people should put more gear on their belts.
If it wasn't for carry-clips, I wouldn't EDC half the gear I do.
Just so incredibly convenient.

Edit: Darn typo.

Last edited:

Street Survival

Newly Enlightened
Dillon Super 1050 for reloading ammunition.
Paracord.
Kroil.
Super Lube.
One Shot for lubricating brass for reloading.
Storm Matches.
Bill Rapier Amtac Blades or for Firearms Training (retired SEAL Team 6)
Kyle Defoor for Firearms Training (retired SEAL Team 6)
Bob Keller for Firearms Training (retired Delta)
Atienza for Knife Training.
Tom Kier for combat training.
Luigi Mondelli for Jiujitsu Training located in Danbury, CT
Mike Pannone for Firearms Training (retired Delta)
Milwaukee Cordless Power Tools.
Wyze, indoor security cameras. They are cheap too.
Combat Gauze.
Stop the bleed training.
North American Rescue: Tourniquets *** Don't buy on Amazon as they are knock offs *** Rapid Stop Tourniquet and Solo T.
Streamlight Pro-Tac HPL USB 1,000 lumens
Glock, M&P, Dan Wesson, Sons of Liberty. Dead Air for suppressors.
Ampoint Red Dot Sights, Trijicon SRO and Holosun.
Maple Leaf Firearms for slide milling.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Dillon Super 1050 for reloading ammunition.
Paracord.
Kroil.
Super Lube.
One Shot for lubricating brass for reloading.
Storm Matches.
Bill Rapier Amtac Blades or for Firearms Training (retired SEAL Team 6)
Kyle Defoor for Firearms Training (retired SEAL Team 6)
Bob Keller for Firearms Training (retired Delta)
Atienza for Knife Training.
Tom Kier for combat training.
Luigi Mondelli for Jiujitsu Training located in Danbury, CT
Mike Pannone for Firearms Training (retired Delta)
Milwaukee Cordless Power Tools.
Wyze, indoor security cameras. They are cheap too.
Combat Gauze.
Stop the bleed training.
North American Rescue: Tourniquets *** Don't buy on Amazon as they are knock offs *** Rapid Stop Tourniquet and Solo T.
Streamlight Pro-Tac HPL USB 1,000 lumens
Glock, M&P, Dan Wesson, Sons of Liberty. Dead Air for suppressors.
Aimpoint Red Dot Sights, Trijicon SRO and Holosun.
Maple Leaf Firearms for slide milling.
Agree with everything on your list, except that one.
Aimpoint, and Trijicon; absolutely! Top notch and definitely recommended. By the way, I work security. But I'm also a firearms instructor. Specializing in self-defense, weapons and tactics. Let's just say if a student asks about Holosun, I tell them to stay far, far away from their products. I don't sugar-coat things for my students.

It is always a red flag whenever any company markets their goods by comparing them directly with the goods sold by a long-established competitor. One with a solid record for making reliable and quality, but expensive models. Doesn't matter if it's guns, lights, knives, optics, cars, etc. Holosun likes to do that.

On a more personal basis, I've had their optics completely fail on me! Thankfully taking place in a very safe environment where my Life wasn't in danger of being violently ripped away me. Done with Holosun's products. They want to pretend they're as good as my Aimpoint PRO or my Trijicon MRO, but at a significantly reduced price? Let them. But they're not going to play pretend around me, nor my students.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an Aimpoint Trooper that I traded 2 or 3 cases of M855 for. It was ok but I'm not really a fan of optics preferring iron sites. I didn't use it enough to form an opinion but since it is made in Sweden I had a lot of confidence in it. One neat thing about it was that it used some component that made the battery last a long time. Some people wouldn't turn them off but leave them constantly on because on and off is something else to forget to do in a high stress situation. Of course with iron sites they always work.