Subaru Outback or Subaru fans?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
At about 185k miles on my 2009 Outback Wagon 5-speed.
We've been through the ringer my Subie and me. Bought it new in 2008. Severe oil consumption contributed to replacement engine #1, then a broken timing belt brought about replacement engine #2. Other than that, just had trans serviced a couple years ago, she's hanging on.
Even in the snowiest Pennsylvania winters, the AWD has always *KNOCK ON WOOD* gotten me around. My first car was a station wagon, and I've always loved the flexbility to put the seats down and transport stuff.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought this 2015 Forester XT new from a local family owned dealership. I wasn't too crazy about CVT transmissions because the history of burning up main bearings around 25k miles. However, this model 2.0 turbo (2018 was last year offered) Forester runs same CVT Subaru installs in WRX and STI cars. Those tranny's have a larger main shaft and bearing.. I am still not excited about how it shifts gears, soft transfers.. but when at highway cruising speeds the car feels like it's in a super overdrive. I can get 30+mpg at 70mph on cruise control, and that's with passing to get around trucks.
I personally change my oil and filters. So far no mechanical issues. AWD takes twisty roads like a champ. Last Winter, just for grins, i plowed through about foot of snow in a vacant grocery store parking while I pushed her into doing figure 8's

Attachments

• IMG_20210906_143817965_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210906_143817965_HDR.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
oddly enough my father was just here in a suburu suv thing is huge and still gets 31 mpg. i just hope there trust worthy as a toyota

Lemurian

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to get their EV (the Solterra) since I live in the mountains, but it was delayed (like just about everything else) and I needed a car. I have the Outback Wilderness edition and love it for now. I have yet to drive it in real rain or the snow since this has been a weird season here in Bigfoot Country. One minus: It doesn't come with roof crossbars and I'm scared to ask how much those are. I kept it simple (cheaper) since I needed a car when demand was so high.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never cared much for the old Outbacks integral pivoting crossbars.. On the new Outbacks, I've seen a very low profile stanchion on a Wilderness model. Although I'm not sure who makes them or if they're OEM?

On my '15 Forester I opted for Thule system with aero crossbars. The top side has a t-groove setup for mounting attachments. It's modular like Malkoffs..
I need enough side overhang to prop up surfboards and enough room for two riding side by side, so I bought the 50" bars. Just enough room for two long boards, and not too long that it will catch someone's forehead walking lol

The Outback rides much smoother, and more comfortable than the old Forester platform. I've yet to test drive the new Forester. It's too soccer mom looking for me. If I get another it will be an Outback

Attachments

• IMG_20220711_142112006_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220711_142112006_HDR.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered a new Outback Limited in December and got it a few weeks ago. Have to say…… it was worth the wait. Beautiful machine, too much technology for me though,