Suggestions for a Smallish EDC pocket carry?

AnotherADDiction

Newly Enlightened
I currently EDC my D10 tribute w/trit, before that I EDC'd the 1rst gen D10. I also have a 3P clone with a M30W, and while a love it, the pocket clip, deep carry, variable brightness of the D10 make it live in my pocket and the 3P stay elsewhere (usually). I will be getting a clicky very soon and I will see which is the EDC then.

yowzer

Enlightened
D10 with original interface is my favorite small pocket carry light. Zebralight SC series are smaller, but prone to turn on in the pocket unless you do a tailcap lockout, which, personally, I hate doing. RRT-0 or a single cell Surefire makes for a good light if clipped to the inside of the pocket, but they're too big for loose carry for me (Especially if using the Jetbeam with AA-sized cells).

nuphoria

Newly Enlightened
I love both the RRT-0 and the SC30 but would have to add the Lumapower Incendio to your list :)

Mine is carried a lot and is the new 4 level version.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I'm gonna mention some that wasn't on the list.

If you don't mind using 123A batteries, the Novatac, HDS/Ra, and Streamlight PT1L are great lights. The PT1L is extremely small for its capabilities and has recently replaced my well worn Novatac 120P as my EDC light.

If you want AA sized, there are quite a few as well. I'm considering the Streamlight PT1AA as a bug out bag light.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost bought an SC30w because it's even tinier than the SC50, but just couldn't bring myself to commit to a light that was CR123/RCR123 only... I just have to have the AA compatibility and don't think I could live with myself if I ran out of power and couldn't get something to make it work.

Last edited:

daf3m

Enlightened
Instead of Fenix LD10 i 'd choose the PD20 R2 as a single cell EDC.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
thanks

i don't like the PD20 because it can't take the 3.7v batts

but nothing against fenix, i own lights by them and will buy another one from them

how does the nitecore compare in terms of reliability and durability to jetbeams?

thanks

i like the form factor

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both my wife and I have Dereelight C2Hs. Her's is an XR-E model that' usually in 123 form and mine is an XP-G model that's usually in AA/14500 form. Both feel great in the hand, look great, take a beating (my wife's light is on her keys with a knife and sometimes multi-tool and it gets tossed, dropped, etc. onto concrete, etc.). I like the versatility in taking most any compact battery type. Output is great. Continuous runtimes aren't the greatest, but I've run mine near 30min straight and not had problems.

For every pocket carry, I prefer either a 1xAA or 1x123 size light. The only 2x123 light I carry is a Vital Gear FB2 with E2e head (about the size of a RRT-0 in AA form...maybe a bit shorter).

BIGLOU

Enlightened
CPFbio not on the list but read you have an HDS Clicky and dont want to shell out the extra. I want to recommend the Novatac Storm (CR123/RCR123). It's bezel up and comes with a clip and a flat tailcap button so you could tail stand it 3 modes plus it could get cracked and programmed with the easter egg/back door 250 click trick. I have not tried it on mine since I liked the stock settings. I do believe the bezel could be screwed off to remove the clip but I tried the bottom of the sneaker trick and the mouse pad trick and it would not budge. It is glued on pretty good and dont want to scratch bezel trying to remove with pliers or a wrench. I got mine on Ebay for $70 you will have extra cash to buy some AWs and maybe a charger. Also wanted to add I have a Jetbeam Jet-II Pro IBS which is now discountinued, l'd ike to add that it is a beast of a thrower.

Last edited:

lhloy

Newly Enlightened
The Zebralight SC50 comes with a really good pocket clip as well as a nice headband. The side-clicky UI is more ergonomic than either a twisty or tailcap switch.

Good day

Newly Enlightened
This might be kinda obvious, but a CR123 light is going to be a lot brighter than any AA one, unless you use a 14500. You can almost always use an RCR123 with a CR123 light since its only a 40% jump in peak voltage. However a 1.5volt to 4.3 is a very large jump so only a few lights support 14500s. I'd recommend a protected one since most lights of this class won't have low-voltage protection.

I'd personally recommend a twisty which will not come on accidentally in your pocket. I use the itp A1 EOS which Ive been very happy with as a keychain light. I never forget it since its on my keychain and it is a bit more socially 'normal' to carry a keychain light vs a standalone light in my opinion.

Since your budget is higher, definitely get an XP-G one. You can decide between a 14500-using one or a shorter but fatter RCR123 one.

yes,guy ,your recommend is right ,i agree with you

Dnva

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered a CR2 light? Been EDCing a Quark Mini CR2 warm for a few months and I cant think of anything that beats the size brightness and flexibility. Battery format is the only negative I can think of but if you buy smart it is not much different then CR123.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I know it's not on your list but I was thinking "smallish" and legoed this together. A Nitecore Extreme Infinity E3 R2 body and an E1E head with a LF EO-E1R and a no modding Ti knife clip. I got the knife clip idea from a fellow CPFer. The holes on the clip line up perfectly to the clip holes on the NEI. The clip is good for deep carry.
DSC03044.jpg

DSC03045.jpg

DSC03040.jpg

DSC03051.jpg