• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Suggestions - Oveready / TorchLAB

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Re: Oveready / TorchLAB - Suggestions

Dan, Moddoo, yes I would definitely still desire such a light even if under 1000 lumens. In fact, total output on high doesn't concern me that much. I estimate 99% of my runtime will be on medium. This will be on a single li-ion when hand-held (lower output, less heat) for walking in the wilderness. On my bike I'll use two cells on medium for a little more output and better endurance while heat is less of a concern since there's ample airflow and I'm not holding the light.

I guess I'm a very niche segment of the market... I actually bought the triple XP-E because I wanted a significant upgrade to my Malkoff M60 without the sharp spill cut-off one gets from a reflectored setup from the newer Malkoffs. So actually efficient and cooler running at the 200 to 300 or so lumen range is 95% of the reason why I bought a triple. Max output will only be used for when throw is sometimes needed. Even then, I'm happy with the throw on my M60 and from my research, the triple XP-E will equal the M60's throw. That's all I'm looking for really: A good forest/exploration light and a good bike light.

I'd actually prefer the XP-E in warm tints (even as warm as 3200 or 3000K is fine if 3500 or 3700K isn't available) because of its throw/spill ratio. Forgive my comment but there's something about the triple XP-G's beam that I don't quite find as natural as the triple XP-E. I even found the triple 219 to have a better beam pattern than the triple XP-G which is wierd since it's even more of a flood than the XP-Gs. Since the 219s are hard to source in small quantities, I'd defintely be very happy if a warm XP-E setup could be done. It'll have better throw too. I wouldn't mind waiting for a warm XP-E2 setup either.

I know there are a few hardcore L3n XP-E fans here. Just hope there's enough of us to make a warm XP-E/E2 setup viable.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Good info. v4 L's cost the same to produce as v4 H's.

A key factor with LEDs is now maximum power:

LEDs limited to 10 watts (L)

xpe
xpe2

LEDs able to run 15 watts (H)

xpg
xpg2

So a warm xpe L3 would produce well under half the lumens of a cool xpg2 H3, for the same price. It is an unpopular compromise.

Flea Bag

Enlightened

Good info. v4 L's cost the same to produce as v4 H's.

A key factor with LEDs is now maximum power:

LEDs limited to 10 watts (L)

xpe
xpe2

LEDs able to run 15 watts (H)

xpg
xpg2

So a warm xpe L3 would produce well under half the lumens of a cool xpg2 H3, for the same price. It is an unpopular compromise.

I was looking at the binning sheet for the XP-E2s just now. But I'd still stick my head out and say that I'd still buy it though! :D I guess the closest I can get to what I want that falls within popular demand is a warm XP-G2.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I might make a suggestion, there are those Lee Filters and other filters for professional stage lighting that can be cut to a disc and placed over the window and the ring screwed down to hold them on, and you can make any tint you want, including warm. Yes, it slightly cuts the output because of the filter, but certainly no more than a warm LED would do, and probably much less loss. And you could do it to any light you want to with this filter material. And it's quite inexpensive.

Just trying to offer some way for you to get what you want, in a market of very few participants who want something that warm, vs a manufacturer's dilemma of having to produce a product with very few potential purchasers.
I like my XPE L3N at 4500k, but I could never handle something down in the 3000k-4000k area. 4500k is the outer limits toward "warm" that I could possibly tolerate.

On the other hand, if Dan and Tom want to put out a limited run, or something, on the warm side like that, then you'll be a lucky guy!

Last edited:

Glock 22

Enlightened

My suggestion would be a single CR123a battery carrier, and also a double CR123a battery carrier possbiltiy made out of delrin. There just not many battery carrier options out there. I believe they would sell good.

Flea Bag

Enlightened

If I might make a suggestion, there are those Lee Filters and other filters for professional stage lighting that can be cut to a disc and placed over the window and the ring screwed down to hold them on, and you can make any tint you want, including warm. Yes, it slightly cuts the output because of the filter, but certainly no more than a warm LED would do, and probably much less loss. And you could do it to any light you want to with this filter material. And it's quite inexpensive.

Just trying to offer some way for you to get what you want, in a market of very few participants who want something that warm, vs a manufacturer's dilemma of having to produce a product with very few potential purchasers.
I like my XPE L3N at 4500k, but I could never handle something down in the 3000k-4000k area. 4500k is the outer limits toward "warm" that I could possibly tolerate.

On the other hand, if Dan and Tom want to put out a limited run, or something, on the warm side like that, then you'll be a lucky guy!

Thanks for that suggestion! However, I'm surprised that a filter (although a well reputed one as the Lees) would do better than a purpose-built warm emitter since the filter is actually absorbing the cooler spectrum while letting through what little warmth the LED originally had! CRI may drop perhaps? In any case, cutting out a filter is right up my alley. I've made my own (crude) partial diffusers and still use them to tailor a beam to my liking. That's why I ordered the XP-E: So I have some room for diffusion if the beam isn't floody enough!

About that other point you made, indeed I'm very surprised and grateful that Tom even suggested the 3200K XP-G triple build and 'soon'! Great support there!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

My suggestion would be a single CR123a battery carrier, and also a double CR123a battery carrier possbiltiy made out of delrin. There just not many battery carrier options out there. I believe they would sell good.

We have something in mind, please stand bye.

brunt_sp

Enlightened

Regarding twl's original thoughts in post #2, I would find a threaded cap useful. Basically I would like to carry Moddoolar heads and Z44+interface combinations along with the following:

A TL65 fitted with Triad and two IMR 18350.
A TL100 fitted with a Triad and two P18500.
A TL130 fitted with a Triad and two P18650.

The idea is that I could put a head on whichever body set I wanted and the other two bodies would have their head threads and O-ring protected.

Fenix used to produce such a plastic threaded cap. It's so simple but so useful.

DSC02156.jpg

DSC02155.jpg

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Oveready / TorchLAB - Suggestions

I will be buying as soon as the XPG 2 heads come out in gray

Sorry, we have no natural finish heads in the pipeline. There simply aren't enough companion parts to go with them. They are made together with black (from the same base parts) and we anticipated the ratios wrong the first time.

We'll look into making more of everything when the supply of black finish parts is lower (next year).

lightdelight

Newly Enlightened

I love the battery carriers. So, the 18650 one will not fit a 69mm cell?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, we have no natural finish heads in the pipeline. There simply aren't enough companion parts to go with them. They are made together with black (from the same base parts) and we anticipated the ratios wrong the first time.

We'll look into making more of everything when the supply of black finish parts is lower (next year).

Ouch! That hurt.
I had planned to flesh-out my Moddoo collection, but I hadn't planned on having to duplicate it all in black.
I have some of the natural companion parts in my collection, waiting for the gray heads.

I'll have to think this over.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll double check with Tom, maybe he's got an extra.

Thanks for the help!
I would buy the Gray Torchlab Head XPG2 H3C with L/M/H in cool white(1600 lumens 2-cell/1100 lumens 1-cell) immediately upon it being made available to me.

I hope it's possible.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the help!
I would buy the Gray Torchlab Head XPG2 H3C with L/M/H in cool white(1600 lumens 2-cell/1100 lumens 1-cell) immediately upon it being made available to me.

I hope it's possible.

I decided to go ahead and buy a whole new package in the black, instead of waiting for the gray.
I just submitted the order for the Torchlab Stubby H3C L/M/H XPG2, with the Stubby 20 and regular 50 bodies, with the ZeroRez shorty tailcap, and paid by PayPal.

I burnt my whole budget on that, so I couldn't buy the 18650 size battery capsule. That will have to wait.

Tom won't have to make up a gray one now, and he can pay attention to his new baby.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I decided to go ahead and buy a whole new package in the black, instead of waiting for the gray.
I just submitted the order for the Torchlab Stubby H3C L/M/H XPG2, with the Stubby 20 and regular 50 bodies, with the ZeroRez shorty tailcap, and paid by PayPal.

I burnt my whole budget on that, so I couldn't buy the 18650 size battery capsule. That will have to wait.

Tom won't have to make up a gray one now, and he can pay attention to his new baby.

Got my shipping notice from Oveready today that my order has shipped.
Counting the days till I get it!

Thanks Dan!

jd1911

Newly Enlightened
Moddoolar Slim Cell Tube Pocket Clip

Is a pocket clip available for the slim tubes (or maybe one in the near future)? I'm thinking I would like one for my 65mm Moddoolar Pocket Slim.
Thanks
JD