Summer trip to Europe... Any advice???

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
James, you're most welcome and I appreciate the compliments! I used a Nikon D70 with the Nikkor 18-70mm AF-S kit lens for all the shots taken. The only filter I have on the lens is a Hoya HMC UV filter to protect the front element. I got those colours by cranking up the colour saturation settings, and using the warmest white-balance setting possible (usually Shade -3) plus most of those photos were taken at sunrise or sunset. My roommate had a Canon 400D too. Great little camera, and definitely way more compact than my D70 set-up. That's a really fast zoom you're eyeing and like you said, pricey! And here I thought the Nikkor 18-200mm VR I've been saving up for was bad :p

Since you don't have an ideal do-it-all zoom perhaps the P&S might make more sense. Carrying extra lenses and swapping them outdoors can become a chore, not to mention the risk of dropping/losing a lens or getting dust monsters on your CCD sensor.

That said, the image quality and control that a DSLR gives you can make the difference between an awesome or a ho-hum shot. A lot of my photos were taken from a moving car, which required me to anticipate and frame my shots in advance, with the timing of the shutter release being absolutely crucial. I can't emphasize the battery-life issue enough though; If use of the LCD panel is kept to a minimum, my D70 can easily fill a 1GB card on a fully-charged battery, and on my image settings that means 700-800 shots on average.

You could also consider buying a cheaper zoom lens second-hand, which you might be able to sell after your trip without making a loss if you catch a good deal. The 17-55mm F3.5-5.6 EF-S kit lens seems decent optically, if you can overlook the build quality. I'm on KEH right now, and there's one in "EX" (excellent) condition going for $89 sans shipping if you wanna go this route. However if you decide on the DSLR, be prepared to lug it around wherever you go if you don't want to miss any photo opportunities. I'll be honest here and tell you that it does get tedious sometimes, but it was well worth the trouble to me. Make sure to get a compact "walkaround" bag as well if you decide on the DSLR; I use a Lowepro Photo Runner myself.

It's really up to you since you know yourself best, but as is probably obvious by now, my vote goes to the DSLR + cheap zoom lens. Let me know if you're keen on renting a car, and I could give you some pointers and advice with that too. I see you're landing in Amsterdam; You probably know this, but if you intend to try the organic products the Netherlands is famous for, I'd advise trying the funghi only if you have a safe environment and the right frame of mind. I'm told the leafy stuff there is stronger than normal :D The frites there are amazing by the way!!

Last edited:

InTheDark

Enlightened
Another word of advice regarding packing. Carry on! If you can manage it, try not to check in your baggage, a lot of things can happen to bags when it's out of your site, and none of it good. See today's news on the United Airlines trouble. I was just stuck in that mess for 6 hours, and now my bag is on it's way to who knows where. If it were strictly vacation, I would've probably just used a carryon bag, but I had to also carry some stuff for business that needed to be checked in.

For a 65L pack it's going to be tough, but I've been able to carry it on flights before. It really depends on the airlines and the screeners and how busy they are, some don't care, some do. You can try, and if they don't allow it, just check it in. If it's not grossly over stuffed (another reason to pack light), it really doesn't look that much bigger than most rollaways, plus if you carry it like a shoulder bag, it probably won't be as noticable as if you were carrying it as a backpack. You won't be able to carry things like lighters and knives, but unless you absolutely have to have a specific blade or firestarter for the flight over there, you can easily buy them when you land. Plus it's an excuse to buy a souvenier for yourself.

If you absolutely can't avoid checking in, you might want to think about splitting your contents with a friend. Half of your stuff in either bags. That way, if one of them gets lost, you at least have a change of clothes and some stuff. You don't want to be stuck in a foreign country without your baggage. Which reminds me, carry some spare clothes (socks at the very least, everything else can be reworn) and a toothbrush so if you bag gets delayed, lost, etc, you'll can survive at least one night without it.

Last edited:

KingSmono

Enlightened
chamenos: Thanks for the info! After much deliberation, I've about decided that I'm going to bring *both* my dslr and 1 lens, plus a compact point & shoot for when I don't want to whip-out the dslr. So which lens? I decided on the new Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 Macro lens. ($374.95 on amazon.com) It should be here sometime next week, and that gives me a few weeks to get acquainted with it before the big trip!

InTheDark: Good advice! The manufacturer of my backpack claims that it will be allowed as carryon for "most" airlines. :shrug: But, I've read that you're usually allowed 1 bag to go in the overhead compartment, and 1 personal carryon bag (purse, backpack, etc)... so if I need to, I'll put the main-pack up in the overhead compartment, and carry my day-pack on my lap. By separating them, I don't think I'll have any size-problems. We'll see though.

Less than 1 month left!! My passport still hasn't come in though... :( My roommate sent his application off 1 week before me, and he got his about 2 weeks ago! I paid for "expedited" which they estimated would only be 2-3 weeks total, but so far it's been over a month. I called the number yesterday, and they told me that due to an unprecedented high volume of passport applications, their opperators would only be able to assist me if I was traveling within 14 days or less... and if not, then to call back when my trip was 2 weeks away if I still haven't received my passport.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Have the Passport issues been solved yet Kingsmono??

And when you're coming over here, when can I expect you for dinner?? cos a couple of days after you arrive, I'll be on my way to italy to see Jean Michel Jarre in concert. so how does dinner at MayCoopers on the 22nd sound?

Drop me a PM or something :)

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
James, have you received your new lens and tried it out? I haven't checked back here in a while, but I hope your visa issues have been resolved already. I'm currently in the midst of applying for a U.S. visa myself :D

KingSmono

Enlightened
Hey guys! My passport *FINALLY* came! Man, that was stressful. The US passport office has been swamped, because now they're requiring passports for every kind of travel... (including cruises to the Bahamas, and travel to Mexico and Canada) But I'm in the clear, I have my passport in hand. *whew*

MayCooper, that sounds good to me! Here's the latest... I created a profile on the Couch-Surfing website, and I'm trying to get a definitive place to stay when we get there... If we can't find someone to crash with, we're going to book a hotel/hostel. Do you have any recommendations? And remind me, how far did you say you were from the Amsterdam airport / city? Because we're probably going to try and stay in the city, and will have to hop on a train, catch a cab to your place. But I'm sure we'll figure something out! Can't wait to meet you! :party:

Chamenos, just got the lens a couple days ago! It's the new Sigma 18-50 f2.8 macro. So far it's pretty nice! Haven't had tooooo much time to play with it. Here's a couple quick sample pics I took of my girlfriend after it arrived. Seems pretty sharp! Good luck with your visa issues... I know how stressful it can be!

sbeej1.jpg

sbeej2.jpg

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
KingSmono said:
MayCooper, that sounds good to me! Here's the latest... I created a profile on the Couch-Surfing website, and I'm trying to get a definitive place to stay when we get there... If we can't find someone to crash with, we're going to book a hotel/hostel. Do you have any recommendations? And remind me, how far did you say you were from the Amsterdam airport / city? Because we're probably going to try and stay in the city, and will have to hop on a train, catch a cab to your place. But I'm sure we'll figure something out! Can't wait to meet you! :party:

Schiphol airport to Leiden is a 17 minute trainride. From Amsterdam central station it's somewhere between 30-40 minutes, depending on what train you get on. And about taking a cab, well, I live 15-20 minutes walking from the trainstation. Or you could just let me know what train you're going to take and I'll be there to pick you up (with my very tiny car).

I cant give you much info on ho(s)tels in the area, as I usually just go home to sleep. But you could take a look at stayokay.com they have simple but decent accomodations throughout the netherlands (including 3 in amsterdam) they aren't exactly as cheap as they used to be, but still a little cheaper that most hotels. For hotels, you could look at hotels.nl (no worries, site is available in english) the site gives you info on pricing, room availability and more. Beware that hotels in Amsterdam are usually pretty expensive, a hotel with the same ratings a few miles out of the city will be 10s of dollars cheaper per night. the price difference is often more than enough to cover cost to travel to the city by public transport...

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
..whilst in Amsterdam in '69 Mr. TedTheLed resided at the lovely Cok Hotel just a couple blocks and across the canal from Paradiso...
there were about 10 guys in one room (girls in another) of bunk-beds upstairs, and a nice little bar that made grilled cheese and chocolate milk downstairs ...I don't know if it's still there..but that was it's name..

KingSmono

Enlightened
Okay, thanks for the tips guys.

MayCooper, we get into Amsterdam at 7:40 AM on July 22nd. So, we'll probably be coming to your place from Amsterdam Central Station (instead of the airport) later that evening.

Man, I'm getting SO excited, you have no idea. 11 days. :)

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
..I checked the Cok online and it is still there but has turned into some fancy business class $200 a night for a single type of establishmnet (!) .. though they still have kept a bit of the charm from the 60's -- that is they still don't offer much in the way of food.. and the seemy street activity viewable out some of the room windows has become something of a tourist attraction..
(heck I could get that looking out my window on 27th and 10th in New York..)

pack lightly, and of course pack light.. ;) :wave:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey KingSmono,

Scan all your important documents, passport, airline tickets, phone lists, Eurail pass, etc. and email it to yourself. That way if they get lost or stolen you can find a computer and print out copies to expidite replacement.

kelmo

PS your Girlfriends Cute!

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
I stayed at the Flying Pig when I was in Amsterdam. They have 3 branches and the one I stayed in is a 2 minute walk from central station. I stayed in one of their dorm style rooms that is basically like a barracks with bunks for 10 people. They were clean and comfortable. If that's not your style, they have private rooms for around 22 Euros a night. There's a common area right by the door that is usually packed with people smoking pot, just a head's up in case that kind of stuff bothers you.

The downtown branch is kind of popular, so if you want to stay there, you should book a room online asap...

EDIT: crap, I just checked their online booking thingamajig and it looks like they only have beds at their beach branch on the 22nd. It's quite a ways out from the station... Not a good option. But, if you're gonna stay in Amsterdam for a couple days, they do have beds later on in the week in the downtown branch. If you can get in, it's a great location for a great price.

Have fun and be safe.

Last edited:

KingSmono

Enlightened
TedTheLed, yeah, 200 is more than we're looking to spend per night. Bummer!

kelmo, excellent suggestion! And I'll pass on the compliment to my GF. :)

l1s125, that stinks that the flying pig downtown is all booked up already... I wonder how far the "uptown" one is from everything...

solay

Newly Enlightened
As you seem to have an interest in beer Belgium would be worth a visit, they have some of the finest beers in my opinion. Duval, Chemay and Hoegaarten among some of the better known ones, though possibly not the best. I haven't tried them all yet:drunk:.

i can recommend Leffe to - it's my favouritte belgium beer

KingSmono

Enlightened
Come to Italy and eat till you explode.

Oh, that's DEFINITELY on the agenda. :)

Anyone heard from Erasmus? I'm supposed to be staying with him in Belgium for a day or two, but can't get a hold of him to finalize the details. :( Hopefully he pops by in the next day or two!

Our plane leaves in 4 days!!!!!!!!!!!!

KingSmono

Enlightened
Well, tomorrow's the big day! We fly out at 5:00 PM eastern time. I can't believe it's finally here. Thanks to EVERYONE for all the wonderful advice. You guys are the best. Should anyone be interested in following our trip, I'm going to try and update my blog whenever I have access to a computer!

www.smono.com/blog

See you suckers in 3 weeks!! :)

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess now is the time for real excitement, isn´t it`? Have a nice trip over here in Europe and be sure to give us a nice report when you are back.

Eric