Sunglasses

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I couldn't decide if this one belongs in 'clothing/footwear' or 'gear/gadgets' so I opted to put it here.
Better here or elsewhere? What do you think?

445A0A8B-A0CB-44D5-B459-BC7DC25A8393.jpeg

Body Glove vapor 18 for $6.99 at an overstock store.
Polarized, scratch and water resistant make these great for outdoor activities where sweat is the norm.
(Edit: confirmed via computer screen these are polarized. End edit)

Last edited:

fulee9999

Enlightened
just a small anecdote to add to the polarized topic, I had the same pair of sunglasses for more than a decade now, and I was told it was polarized ( that was one of the reasons I bought it ) and it was from a reputable seller who usually sells prescription glasses so I was convinced it was polarized... well, last year I learned that you can easily check if the lens are polarized or not, by just looking through it at your computer screen then tilting the glasses 90 degress to either side and it should black it out... well, I've tried it on mine and guess what, it's not polarized

chip100t

Enlightened
in the past I splashed out on expensive designer sunglasses, but there's days I wouldn't bother as they soon get sat on, trod on or lost. I now mainly only wear sunglasses (amber) on motorways at night as the glare of oncoming vehicles can dazzle me.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like clothing and footwear, sunglasses are something we wear, right? So agreed this is a good category.

After 2 lens replacements and a gasket change, still using Wiley-X without the face gasket.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I wasn't sure Kitro as they could also be seen as 'gear'.

I have several pairs of polarized shades and none completely black out a (phone) screen when turned 90 degrees. The screen darkens, with some darkening the screen more than others. Sometimes at 45 degrees the screen is actually lighter than on a vertical or horizontal axis.

Now what tells me polarized or not is a sorta rainbow look to some glass objects like the outside of some car windows.

Edit:
Actual laptop screen pix
8280B8FA-9027-4229-867D-B42C08C8D3BA.jpeg

8AC4B745-A8BC-4B73-A346-A9B1E42B2078.jpeg

Hmmmmmmm
Some Hobie shades I have in the office. Will try the Body Glove at some point.
E42F0596-27F8-468B-A707-C07930F7FC15.jpeg

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the original Oakley Flak jackets with prescription lenses for 15 years.
2 weeks ago a lens popped out at the lake.
Yes indeed.
I was going to order another pair but it's $380 now.

fulee9999

Enlightened

I have several pairs of polarized shades and none completely black out a (phone) screen when turned 90 degrees. The screen darkens, with some darkening the screen more than others. Sometimes at 45 degrees the screen is actually lighter than on a vertical or horizontal axis.

Now what tells me polarized or not is a sorta rainbow look to some glass objects like the outside of some car windows.

Edit:
Actual laptop screen pix
View attachment 30129

View attachment 30130
Hmmmmmmm
View attachment 30131
there you go, those are definitely polarized lens :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Many people think of Polaroid as a camera company but they started out as a sunglass maker when they invented the polarized lens.
From Wiki
7CE1477E-19A9-4EC0-AA54-68974FE7F1F0.jpeg

Headphone shades by Bose
AC4A279A-7AD3-4208-8B06-6648685F12A8.jpeg

A67D6FD3-BF21-4026-B909-75DA551360E3.jpeg

The little earpiece.
IPX2 means they're not water tight due to open air design so not good for jogging, they're not very loud, and not very good bass when cranked up due to such a tiny foil driver. Yet they sound great at times like driving to work or riding a bus to work.
These belong to Mrs Fixer. I gave mine to her son who is not allowed to wear ear buds while driving for his job.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
EC2E5379-07F1-4D6E-8A20-8A974CA4C261.jpeg

I found these 1930's American Optical "safety/welder glasses" while looking for something in the attic today. I'd guess there were a lot of blind welders back then, 'cause these are not very protective. Crafted out of sterling silver, these things were works or art.
98FABA9D-005D-4099-BF62-3B39F0BB3EAE.jpeg

The A/O on the lens showed the eBay seller was selling the genuine article. Same seller sold me some A/O pilot glasses, Baush & Lomb made Ray Bans, and some early Maui Jim shades. All at about 10 cents on the dollar versus when new.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Edit:
Actual laptop screen pix
View attachment 30129

View attachment 30130
Hmmmmmmm
View attachment 30131
This makes sense. Every LCD screen has a polarizing layer. When I wear polarized sunglasses in the car, it messes with the LCD status screen on my console, making it turn almost completely black if I tilt my head at the wrong angle.

OLED screens don't need a polarizing layer so they should be compatible with polarized glasses.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
9456BA76-375E-4149-836C-46F88156F40F.jpeg

I like the Foster Grant chespo shades better than the expensive Ray Ban wayfarers.
$12 at Wal Mart versus $200+? Pffft, that's easy. The plastic lenses are actually pretty clear and the frame has hinge temples with metal in the arms. Not polarized but I don't always want polarized. Good cloudy day drivers.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started wearing Action Optics polarized sunglasses for fishing many years ago. Action Optics was eventually bought by Smith Optics, and I have been wearing Smiths for everything ever since. They are excellent quality, have many models to choose from, and seem strong enough and tough enough to stand up to daily use here in sunny Arizona.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
1D271A09-76B0-4AC1-AC23-DB81B38D0DD0.jpeg

Found these rhinestone shades in my work truck today.
Some designer named Christian Siriano. Blue turtle shell wayfares. Polarized polycarbonate but they were cheap. Like $25 at WalMart. Nice, solid frames with wire in the arms, spring temples and the lenses are crisp like glass. They are darker at the top so they are good for driving. The bottom area is light colored enough for driving on a cloudy day. In between is just right sun or clouds.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please make me feel better and tell me I'm not the only person around here old enough to need prescription sunglasses, which I gather is not what's mostly being discussed(?). (I'm actually just joking, as I don't care).

Mine are RayBan in a sort of 'updated-aviator' frame w/ CF arms (real or otherwise). RB sort of corralled me into polarized over my objections, and I still wish they weren't. They compromise the use of my camera (displays - it's a 'real image' SLR so I'm not affected while actually shooting) out in the AZ sun, which is something I do a lot of. I do sometimes use a polarizing filter on my camera lens, but would prefer my sunglasses were not. I must add however that if this were the biggest problem I had to deal with, life would be great:)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My eyes don't change much so prescription glasses I wore in my 30's still work to correct vision at a distance. Astigmatism causes my vision to blur at a distance.

At 40 I needed something more suited for reading too. Needless to say my prescription sunglasses from about 2009 still do the trick for driving or general purpose.
They're Ray Ban tortoise shell wayfares with glass prescription lenses. Like you AZ I did not ask for polarized but they came that way from the optomotrist who had the lenses made. I had the same pair in the 80's but one day they walked away. They were Ray Bans without the badge on the arms.

FE5FAA0D-74BC-4DC6-BB52-29478E1BD84D.jpeg

The shade is nice for general se

819B77FE-98EF-4169-8494-6E18EC3860AF.jpeg

Hand made, I wonder if the Asian made ones are.

565A25B4-7F32-405C-A935-286DC085DD03.jpeg

The case has seen better days.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
just a small anecdote to add to the polarized topic, I had the same pair of sunglasses for more than a decade now, and I was told it was polarized ( that was one of the reasons I bought it ) and it was from a reputable seller who usually sells prescription glasses so I was convinced it was polarized... well, last year I learned that you can easily check if the lens are polarized or not, by just looking through it at your computer screen then tilting the glasses 90 degress to either side and it should black it out... well, I've tried it on mine and guess what, it's not polarized
Many other ways to check as not all TVs are LCD now, LCD clocks, LCD gas pumps, and LCD watches and calculators and 2 pairs of polarized glasses will turn with them 90 degrees from each other that is the way I check them at stores when I don't have any polarized sunglasses with me find one pair and turn it 90 degrees looking through it at the rest on the racks.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought some polarized sunglasses.
My windshield is tinted with Air80.
Now everything looks purple, blue, teal and yellow.