Sunglasses

bykfixer

Flashaholic
How about American made shades? :eek:
7E8DBDEF-CAF4-4164-BDC8-44782C90D987.jpeg

'Merica

7232AE1C-CCC2-419A-B38B-3A2A10A2320C.jpeg

Not polarized, but anti-reflective hard coated polycarbonate lenses with a light weight frame.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kernel,
I heard Air80 can substantially reduce cars interior heat by 70% tint application, and blocks damaging uv rays. Did you have all glass done?

Should come with warning: wearing polarized sunglasses causes 60's flashbacks lol

I have 5% on everything but windshield…and the 80% on the windshield.

Most windshields are laminated and already block UV rays, but no other window has UV protection.

I tint the windshield for interior protection mostly. And to cut down on the glare. My interiors after 10+ years will still look new.

My wife has 3M 70% on her windshield and it is phenomenal. Mine is good though. There's a better Air70 but it's $100 more.

The magic is when you get 5% limo paired with the windshield and a low brow on the windshield. It is dark though.

Louisiana still does paper based inspections and the city cops here don't care about tint. In fact tint is strongly encouraged for safety. Lol
I haven't had an inspection in years

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
001A2E89-42AB-4995-A7AC-C520F08D8A18.jpeg

Some vintage Mai Jim from an eBay score. $35!!
The seller said "minor scratches". Ha, when they arrived I said "where?" Not in the field of vision so...

EBC8848F-80A7-4AC3-A395-503D35E05B27.jpeg

E463A3DD-49BD-4DD8-B83C-C0CA06F64825.jpeg

Either really good fakes or bargain of the year the year I bought them. I was looking for the "sand dollar" model for Mrs Fixer. I found some later in 'rose color lens", which she really enjoyed since she used to say "I see the world through rose colored lenses".

9335A133-5ED8-47DC-BFCE-F9B38D7093D8.jpeg

Edit:
Perfect time for these;
B6E6B369-352B-46A2-A8AA-4A51B812BBCD.jpeg

When the sucker hole pops out in the clouds the top area is real handy. The bottom area is great for blocking bright, shiney flashback of light bouncing off the ground or your vehicles hood. The center is just right when it's cloudy.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Went to a last years clothing store today and scored some timeless aviator type shades by Levis for $3.99.

EAB858C6-C1F1-4D57-96B1-93C172BCC075.jpeg

I liked how 'Levis' was embossed into the lens.
I was looking for something light enough on a cloudy day but dark enough during cloud breaks and these seemed to be just right. A solid metsl frame, fairly crisp plastic lenses and not polarized. Not bad for $4.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
While at a Tractor Supply store today I saw some rhinstone shades on the cheap sunglasses rack. I'd never heard of Islander Eyes before but it turns out a fellow not far from my town started a company that imports sunglasses from that famous Asian country sworn to overthrow the West. He stamps the various company names he owns on them. Well they do it in that overseas factory. These were retro-like tortoise frames with blue mirror polarized lenses he calls PolaTac400 whatever that is. They had black frames with gray lenses in the same style but I have like 8 kinds of those.

I put them on expecting the room to be all blurry from the cheap, distorted plastic. To my surprise it didn't happen. Instead things brightened up a little. Look in the mirror on the shades rack and they looked ok on me. Ok, how much? $17.00. Sold.

While driving home without my prescriptions it should have been a blur but these actually helped me see a little better (than no glasses) by brightening up things. The top area is darker, the bottom area (ie reading area) is a little brighter than the middle. Neat. Not great if the sun is reflecting off your hood but for reading a map or looking at a phone screen it's pretty cool. They make the world appear a bit like wearing yellow lenses would. And yes, they are polarized.

EE837724-D7E4-4EC2-A511-C53B06AF19BC.jpeg

7289E298-3114-4F5C-9B3C-15A7BD0FC84F.jpeg

Last edited:

Mappo

Newly Enlightened
These are my Rayban Justins. Been rocking for a few years just replaced the lenses with some new ones from rayban. $50 and I get to extend the life of my (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿) another few years. 🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻
5D2664CB-9C8A-4F5D-A25E-63538649C09E.jpeg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Found some shades buried in the glove box of my work truck I used to wear a lot but for some reason not lately.
4F855CC9-7192-4931-B940-CC9B4DED1629.jpeg

An eBay score from days gone by with original caae. New old stock at about 1/2 the price of the current version.

And some limited edition Ray Ban John Denver type shades in semi-mirror platform.
960C1DB6-2303-45B1-88CC-EBED1988B7A1.jpeg

They re-introduced some gold frame, green lens round shades one year and a brief run of these gun metal, lightly mirrored along with a black frame, fully mirrored ones like the ones Ric Ocasek made famous.
Note: John Lennon type are completely round.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
E4CD3616-9311-4A59-AE7A-89824DFE906F.jpeg

Unearthed these this morning.
I called them round-square, the RB3424 polarized, lightly mirrored gray glass lenses are some of my favorites I'd forgotten about. Impressive clarity like Maui Jim's, nice sturdy frame, they are no longer being made.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ordered my first pair of folders this
Called Imperial they look a lot like Woody style when unfolded.
This may or may not be my last pair of folders.
They are like folding Woody shades with lenses about 3mm narrower and shorter so they're pretty close.
28875C6D-F417-488D-8FEE-A8E71DF12850.jpeg

Left is the Woody. A little more curved and a smidge larger. Lenses are a tiny bit darker on the Woody so the Imperial will be better on cloudy days.

The hinges on the folders are good, just more things to break, which is why I'm not sure if more folders will be in my future plans.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Found out that cheap polarized sunglasses are bad for your eyes.
Though thankfully, not the hard way. Love my polarized Ray-Bans.
Decent price too at $200 several years back. One issue though.
Not quite formal enough. Might get a pair of Maui-Jim soon.
(Also polarized.)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Found out that cheap polarized sunglasses are bad for your eyes.
Though thankfully, not the hard way. Love my polarized Ray-Bans.
Decent price too at $200 several years back. One issue though.
Not quite formal enough. Might get a pair of Maui-Jim soon.
(Also polarized.)
The super thin glass of Maui Jim's is markedly easier on the eyes than Ray Ban glass. Well worth the extra coin(s) if clarity is a must.

Those "cheap" sunglasses often use CR-39 plastic developed in the 1940's. Many of the higher end plastic lenses use polycarbonate. Trivex is the new kid on the block. Even more clear than polycarbonate. Reccomended for framless sunglasses and for chemical resistance.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When thumbing through the pages of history, sometimes celebrities will stand out because of something they ordorn like Gen Douglass McAurthor with his corn cob pipe. But another feature was his American Optical pilot sunglasses.
1C884F92-83AD-4D21-94BA-740AF99F6CEB.jpeg

In many cases the sunglasses are part of the mystique. Sometimes a model of frame is known as a certain person, such as John Lennon frame (not to be confused with a slightly different John Denver frame). Back in the day Bosch and Lomb had developed a black plastic frame called Wayfarer. They were popular with "beatnicks" who society at the time considered them bums so Bosch & Lomb could hardly give them away. We now know of them as Ray Ban but back then the Ray Ban was a model of pilot shades made by Bosch & Lomb. (Kinda like the SureFire 6 was once named Laser Products SureFire 6). One day an up and coming rock and roll star named Bob Dylan was photographed wearing Wayferers. Suddenly they took off in sales. That lasted for a little while but sales died down until Tom Cruise made them famous again in the 1980's in some movie where his tighty whities and Wayfarers were posters on the bedroom walls of teenage girls all over the place like Farah was on teenage boys.

Pop singer Ric Ocasek made round shades famous. Not John Lennon or John Denver type but black frame round numbers.
1F4A82D4-1A11-475E-AFF3-727E3A42D666.jpeg

Your basic John Lennon type

499A4CF1-76AF-41B0-AD92-86E6CAC752A8.jpeg

Ric Ocasek type

Michael Jackson adorned uni-lens aviators that sold faster than ice in the desert. I think they were Ray Ban but actually don't remember except to say yeah, I had a pair. Nice shades as I recall but not something I proudly wore very often.

Sometimes celeberities wore shades that were not so obvious what brand they are. Yellowstone for example Kevin Costner plays John Dutton who wears a plain looking Wayfarer type with brown lenses but no logo can be seen. It turns out they are Varvatos V791. Expensive shades but this is a rancher with his own helicopter so no surprise there.

Two famous Steves had famous shades. Steve McQueen wore the worlds first folding sunglssses, the Persol folding version of the 649, called the 714. Non Steve McQueen, non polarized start at over $300, but they're hand made so there is that. The other Steve, Steve McGarrett (Jack Lord version) wore some really cool Hawaiian surfer shades that to this day I've yet to learn who made them. In todays fashion world they look like women's shades with big old bug eye lenses but we're talking 1960's era fashion.

C17C3A99-93FF-481A-90BE-3AA26B5070E8.jpeg

8E91BEA9-2C14-4578-B00B-CA4271EEB44C.jpeg

Those were just cool as a polar bears toenails

Edit:
Who can forget the little known at the time military grade sunglasses made famous by the Terminator?
5377217F-D0A8-4ED3-992E-58FD24D81500.jpeg

Gargoyles were huge at one point.
But not because Arnold wore them in the movie as much as because
96DBB454-0209-438E-8ED8-739543FA6B88.jpeg

Dale Earnhardt wore them.
He and his car owner Richard Childress wore the Arnold kind while hunting mostly but Dale often wore the mirrored type at the race track. Every cool race car driver wore Gargoyles at one point yet nobody was sponsored by Gargoyles, so all of those walking billboards wore them simply because they were great sunglasses.
110BF4C7-17FD-4EDB-A885-70A2B61B0DD3.jpeg

Back when everybody said "Jeff who?" I knew the guy was going to be huge someday. The kid wore Gargoyles, nuf said!

Foster Grant was huge when Elvis Pressley and Sophia Loren wore them. Before "where's the beef" was the famous jingle "who's that behind those Foster Grants?" Eventually it was Cindy Crawford and Jeff Gordon behind those Foster Grants. Yup and it actually kept them from going under. Jeff went the way of Hulk Hogan and released products for kids. Hulk did ice cream bars, Jeff did sunglasses. Anyway Foster Grant are now available at WalMart.

Now days sunglasses are huge businesses. Brands are constantly popping up with famous people being photogrsphed in them. Like the post above mentioned "Rhinestone shades or cheap sunglasses, ZZ Top even have their own Rhinestone model by Celine
248C11F0-6AD1-4BEA-811D-BB41B6F22382.jpeg

For the low price of $600.

Last edited: