Sunglasses

bykfixer

Flashaholic
E09C3017-8905-4668-87B0-6C9F0B2D050F.jpeg

Cheap fakes;
Fake wood, fake wayfarers, polycarbonate, polarized amber lens numbers by Carribean Joe.
$3.99 at a clearance store called Gabes.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually only wear my natives these days. Best warranty and CS department in the game. I've had so many pieces replaced on the same pair over the years. Lenses replaced…… they take care of ya. I wear the hardtop ultra xp. They take a beating.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually only wear my natives these days. Best warranty and CS department in the game. I've had so many pieces replaced on the same pair over the years. Lenses replaced…… they take care of ya. I wear the hardtop ultra xp. They take a beating.
Does the nose bridge wire piece come loose fall off?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That counter whatever is an interesting backdrop for those sunglasses; well done.
It's an alluminum defroster plate with the black coating peeling off of it. A 1/4" thick plate with grooves cut in it somehow radiates room temperature throughout the item being thawed. If I set out say a pound of frozen bacon on the counter it'll take a couple of hours to thaw. Same thing on the plate and it thaws in about an hour.

It's been the background of a number of flashlight photos too.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_0117.jpeg

The new Ray Ban 4640 in Havana frame with polarized anti reflective coated brown gradient lenses from Costco. Ray Ban and other outlets price these Italian hand made shades at $210. Costco $94.99

After a day wearing these me like-ee. They're not as burly as wayfarers. Frames feel a bit petite but that adds to the "forgot I was wearing them" aspect. I couldn't tell if the lenses are glass or plastic. They "thwack" like glass. Still, they're very crisp. The brown adds a bit of brightness to the world but what surprised me was I could clearly see some whispy clouds I did not notice without them on. Blacks look blacker, blues look bluer even though white looked tan. It's a very unique experience I look forward to repeating...often.

IMG_0134.jpeg

The upper right the blue anti reflective coating can be seen.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm not ashamed to wear Ray Ban's, it's just that the stupid logo kept tricking my eye into thinking there was a bug on the corner of the lens. The bug is gone now.

Maui Jim uses a gold paint on the lens my eye does not detect.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_0481.jpeg

I recently put these Ray Ban 3424 back in the rotation.
IMG_0482.jpeg

I call them rounded square.
Aviators, but not aviators.

The out of production model had a limited edition mirrored version that only 500 pairs were produced. Very crisp glass with a light gray tint. See through mirror lenses.

After work one day I was at a mall for millionaires looking for a part for a Waterman pen and stumbled across a sunglasses store that sold Randolph's and a bunch of really expensive brands, so I figured 'what the heck?' Walk in the place out of curiosity. They had a new kid named Costa Del Mar, a few Maui Jim's, Revo, and other even more pricey shades. They even had the folding Persol like Steve McQueen used to wear.

I said "how much for these mirrored Ray Ban's?" holding the 3424. Half expecting to hear "$500" or some crazy number, the girl said "oh those? (with bitter beer face) they are on sale for $79.99"..... I could afford that so I tried them on. Heck yeah these are great. In my best Fred G Sandford voice I said "I'll take 'em, I'll take 'em". She said "oh that's the last pair, since they're demo's you can have them half price". Then she said "just so you know those were limited to 500 pairs, but we couldn't hardly give them away, because we don't get many of your type in here". I chuckled and said "no cool guys huh?" (I guess she didn't like my construction worker attire.)

I said "take a check?" She says "ewe, no we don't take checks here". So I pulled out my money clip and tossed a Benjaman on the counter. "Here ya go little lady, now be a good girl and clean 'em for me, would ya?"

I've not been back. But I've gotta say the 3424 was a mighty fine pair of sunglasses. I suppose by now that snobby brat is making some milk toast rich guy miserable somewhere.

Latest posts