Sunglasses

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Are they still made in France? I bought one in 2005 or so.
Most are made there. Some in England. But since 2000, Waterman has actually been owned by an American company that also owns Sanford. Unfortunately, quality has definitely slipped by quite a bit. As more time goes by, things are getting worse. Waterman during the 1920s was magnificent! But we're in the wrong '20s for Magnificent.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I don't figure anything is as well made as back then. I'd like a nice pen and I strongly considered doing pens as a hobby before I decided to get back in the lights but my days of writing are in the past. I no longer do paralegal work. I'm not getting gov benefits for RSOs or helping negroes build resumes and find work anymore. I don't even write short stories nowadays.

I used to write with a Mont Blanc on ivory parchment paper. It glides so smoothly and effortlessly. Today I used a Caran d'Ache for the first time all month for a shopping list. I just don't need any pens.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The pen was a gold plated jade green number and the gold crown on the end of the cap kept coming off. One day the thing came off and was gone. It was an engraved anniverssary pen the company I worked for gave me with a custom clip. It was my first real nice pen. They gave me another one a few years later and I super glued the gold crown to it. Here in 2023 I have no idea where either one is.

But I sure am glad to know where those Ray Ban 3424's are. 😎

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_0557.jpeg

RIP Gargoyles sunglasses

IMG_0555.jpeg

Found these 40th anniverssary edition at a good price.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_1890.jpeg

My first pair of TAC lenses.
The Calcutta Intruder (original).
Lightly mirrored gray lenses made of Triacetate cellulose. These are 7 layer type starting with a polarizer, second and third are for durability, fourth and fifth for UV blocking, sixth and seventh for impact resistance and scratch protection.

I have lots of plastic, glass and polycarbonates but this is my first TAC kind. 1.0mm thin, lightweight and the frames are extremely comfortable. Durability? Time will tell, especially the mirror coating.

First thing I did was scratch off the Calcutta word on the lens then paint over the logo on the arms. Not ashamed of the brand, I just prefer a nostalgic look from a time when the brand was not plastered all over the place.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 48589
My first pair of TAC lenses.
The Calcutta Intruder (original).
Lightly mirrored gray lenses made of Triacetate cellulose. These are 7 layer type starting with a polarizer, second and third are for durability, fourth and fifth for UV blocking, sixth and seventh for impact resistance and scratch protection.

I have lots of plastic, glass and polycarbonates but this is my first TAC kind. 1.0mm thin, lightweight and the frames are extremely comfortable. Durability? Time will tell, especially the mirror coating.

First thing I did was scratch off the Calcutta word on the lens then paint over the logo on the arms. Not ashamed of the brand, I just prefer a nostalgic look from a time when the brand was not plastered all over the place.
@bykfixer I'm looking for a pair of wrap-around sunglasses for a female relative. Can you recommend/suggest some good options? She's early 20's.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
How much you wanna spend? Want polarized? What kind of light conditions? Like all around, cloudy, sunny? Style or durability?
Maui Jim and Costa Del Mar are top shelf choices but there are lots of less costly options.

The Calcutta came from my local Ace Hardware. They have lots of wrap around styles to choose from starting at $20.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much you wanna spend? Want polarized? What kind of light conditions? Like all around, cloudy, sunny? Style or durability?
Maui Jim and Costa Del Mar are top shelf choices but there are lots of less costly options.

The Calcutta came from my local Ace Hardware. They have lots of wrap around styles to choose from starting at $20.
Polarized, sure, why not? Who likes glare?
Light conditions, all around.
Durability. These are to replace a pair that broke.
Budget? I don't want to spend any more than I have to.
Would be nice if they were not Chinese--then I could buy it. Free China (Taiwan) is okay.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Polarized, sure, why not? Who likes glare?
Light conditions, all around.
Durability. These are to replace a pair that broke.
Budget? I don't want to spend any more than I have to.
Would be nice if they were not Chinese--then I could buy it. Free China (Taiwan) is okay.
That's a toughy. Hard to go wrong with Foster Grant's though. Wal Mart has those in stores with Body Glove and some others near the jewelry counter.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Upon having a case of insomnia I got to looking for US made sunglasses and the usual companies with military contracts are still out there like Oakley and Solar Bats. One called Liquid makes frames out of alluminum, yup. But those are small production items so they're hard to come by.

I read about a company called Shwood who make wooden frames and use Japanese plastic for lenses and German hinges. They are a small outfit out of Portland Oregan who now make acetate frames, and even some metal ones. Prices are above $100 but not far above.

Shwood has teamed up with Pendelton Mills (yes the sock maker) who make limited runs of sunglasses made of recycled water bottles, with TAC lenses. They run $50. I considered one model but they were out so that likely means no more of those, ever. But then I saw a model I like and when I read the reviews....
IMG_0636.jpeg

It looks like ole PK might where them so....

IMG_0635.jpeg

They are on the way.
The lenses are G15 aviator type tint. The only other G-15's I remember having are some non polarized 1960's American Optical aviators.

Shwood also colaborates with CAMP. Now the camp uses castor beans for the plastic polymers with wooden inlays on the arms.

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Upon having a case of insomnia I got to looking for US made sunglasses and the usual companies with military contracts are still out there like Oakley and Solar Bats. One called Liquid makes frames out of alluminum, yup. But those are small production items so they're hard to come by.

I read about a company called Shwood who make wooden frames and use Japanese plastic for lenses and German hinges. They are a small outfit out of Portland Oregan who now make acetate frames, and even some metal ones. Prices are above $100 but not far above.

Shwood has teamed up with Penndelton Mills (yes the sock maker) who make limited runs of sunglasses made of recycled water bottles, with TAC lenses. They run $50. I considered one model but they were out so that likely means no more of those, ever. But then I saw a model I like and when I read the reviews....
View attachment 48618
It looks like ole PK might where them so....

View attachment 48619
They are on the way.
The lenses are G15 aviator type tint. The only other G-15's I remember having are some non polarized 1960's American Optical aviators.

Shwood also colaborates with CAMP. Now the camp uses castor beans for the plastic polymers with wooden inlays on the arms.
I would think that the name Paul Kim is not unique. What makes you think that it is "Surefire" Paul Kim? There must be at least a few PKs running around on this rock... :)

Thanks for the sunglasses advice. :cool:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_0724.jpeg

The 40th showed up today, a week late. I don't blame UPS though. I had a USPS, a FedEx and a UPS package all get stuck in Maryland for a couple of days in the same week. It was weird.

Anyway, compared to the older US made ones, these Taiwan made ones feel more sturdy. More weighty. Don't know if it was a 40th anniverssary edition change or what because my last pair were made in the late 1980's or so.

When I looked in the mirror wearing them I thought a housefly was staring back at me.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 48878
The 40th showed up today, a week late. I don't blame UPS though. I had a USPS, a FedEx and a UPS package all get stuck in Maryland for a couple of days in the same week. It was weird.

Anyway, compared to the older US made ones, these Taiwan made ones feel more sturdy. More weighty. Don't know if it was a 40th anniverssary edition change or what because my last pair were made in the late 1980's or so.

When I looked in the mirror wearing them I thought a housefly was staring back at me.
Careful, you'll have all the frogs and lizards chasing after you.