Sunglasses

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_1170.jpeg

Went to an ACE hardware today for some screws and left with these acetate, TAC lens flying W fishing sunglasses too.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my sunnies. Pretty much live in various pairs.
For driving and generally, I wear a pair of photochromic copper lenses. Whatever I wear, I only wear glass lenses of decent quality. After getting decent glass lenses years ago I'm spoilt now.
I've had to wear plastic in the past for safety reasons but I've never had decent plastic lenses although they're out there apparently.
Company structure and politics aside, one of my favourite lenses are the Costa 580G in green mirror/copper base.
With some brands I find I get weird ghosting reflections on some bright, high contrast objects with mirrored lenses. Anyone else get that?
I don't get ghosting with Costa or Maui mirrors. None the less, I love the Spotters gold leaf mirror lenses even though I get some ghosting, it's a beautiful lens.
Spotters (penetrator) and Mako (G3SX) do a great photochromic lens.
I've got glass lens sunnies from Spotters, Mako, Maui Jim and Costa, and they're all great.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of going with this, it should be good for just about every situation up to and including a solar eclipse and thermonuclear detonation.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG_4929.jpeg

Gold leaf mirror on a copper base. These lenses are a joy to look through.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never heard of Spotters Australian made sunglasses before but the image in you picture makes me want to find a pair for myself!
Spotters were my first quality pair, still have them after the best part of about 13 years or so (intensive use in all sorts of places and conditions) the original Artic model with penetrator lenses.
Spotters probably aren't as advanced as some other brands but they're certainly decent quality. There's a few big sunglasses brands here, mainly fishing and sport orientated, in Spotters, Mako and Tonic.
I'm not a fan of Tonic for various reasons, I've tried and they've let me down twice (two pairs), I'm also not particularly fond of the company and the overall quality.
Spotters and Mako however are well worth a look.
Costa and Maui Jim are generally the next tier up over here, certainly cost wise, but I'm also a fan of both.
The photo doesn't really do the gold mirror justice, it's very pretty in person. What's important though is the view through them. The combination of the gold leaf mirror and the copper base is really pleasing to my eyes.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My go-to glasses are Nike Skylon Sport Polarized Sunglasses EV0630-001 that I picked up back in 2011. I have several pair in black & brown and this particular model is no longer available. Lightweight with sharp quality lenses they fit me well and are great for driving and outdoor activities.
IMG_133.jpg

Capture.JPG

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Nice Nice!!!

I edited my post so the comment would appear as meant, as in how cool those spotters are and removed the maui jim photo because it may have taken away that intent.
The Maui Jim photo was cool.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Arrive home from work to find these in my mailbox.
IMG_1213.jpeg

Randolph aviators from the 1990's, desert shield Air Force issued numbers. See, they had a contract with the Marines and Air Force.

One way to tell is the stamping on the arms is the same, as in they made one arm and used it for both sides so the stamping on the left one is upside down.
IMG_1215.jpeg

IMG_1216.jpeg

Another way was the AF stamping across the bridge along with 52 and 20 (lens height and bridge gap).
IMG_1219.jpeg

Nose piece is a bit yellowed form all those years but it is a push button to pop it out and replace it. I'll probably keep them original.
IMG_1220.jpeg

The glass lenses are the cleanest I've ever had the pleasure of peering through. Maui Who?
IMG_1214.jpeg

They fit great, don't feel heavy at all (because I wear glasses with glass lenses) and the tint is awesome. The nickel plated stainless frame is super nice with perfect welds. They say it takes up to 6 weeks to make each pair. It shows.
IMG_1221.jpeg

The single stamp arm was done to cut down on build time when they were issuing these to those combat heroes. I'd love to find an original case some day but it's no biggy if I don't. I hate to think how much Uncle Sam paid for them when new but I got these like new second hand marvelous sunglasses for $58 shipped to my door.

Randolph sunglasses are the real deal.

Last edited:

blinkjr

Newly Enlightened
View attachment 50574
Randolph aviators from the 1990's, desert shield Air Force issued numbers. See, they had a contract with the Marines and Air Force.

One way to tell is the stamping on the arms is the same, as in they made one arm and used it for both sides so the stamping on the left one is upside down.
View attachment 50575

View attachment 50576

Another way was the AF stamping across the bridge along with 52 and 20 (lens height and bridge gap).
View attachment 50579

Nose piece is a bit yellowed form all those years but it is a push button to pop it out and replace it. I'll probably keep them original.
View attachment 50585

The glass lenses are the cleanest I've ever had the pleasure of peering through. Maui Who?
View attachment 50583

They fit great, don't feel heavy at all (because I wear glasses with glass lenses) and the tint is awesome. The nickel plated stainless frame is super nice with perfect welds. They say it takes up to 6 weeks to make each pair. It shows.
View attachment 50584

The single stamp arm was done to cut down on build time when they were issuing these to those combat heroes. I'd love to find an original case some day but it's no biggy if I don't. I hate to think how much Uncle Sam paid for them when new but I got these like new second hand marvelous sunglasses for $58 shipped to my door.

Wow! Congrats on this find!!! I was tired of cheap sunglasses and invested in a pair of Original Pilot from American Optical. Hurt to make that payment, but they'll last beyond my lifetime.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 50574

View attachment 50575

View attachment 50576

View attachment 50579

View attachment 50585

View attachment 50583

View attachment 50584

Let me know if the bridge is too wide for your nose. I wear a #18/20 😁

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wore the Randolphs to work today.
Look, it takes a special skull to wear those style aviators without a helmet on. The blades at the end of the arms dig into your skin after a while where they curve toward your head. Putting on a helmet flattens the arms so the blades no longer stab you. But Randolph's are a heck-uva-lot less bothersome than AO's or Ray Ban's I have so there is that. Can't say they were a pleasure to wear after 30 minutes but an hour later not so bad.

Some Maui Jim Waterfront vs Ray Ban 2434's
IMG_1230.jpeg

Very similar styling. Both lightly mirrored. Both polarized. Both gray lens. Both stainless steel frames. Both have glass lenses. Both 54mm tall lenses. Both are very nice sunglasses.

The Maui Jim mirror fades though. At the top they are darker. In the center they're hardly mirrored. At the bottom virtually no mirror but at a glance you can't tell. Looking through them yeah, you can tell the difference between them and the 2434's. Nice touch for cloudy day wear.

They both have super crisp lenses so that too is a tie. The 3424's were retail $125 when they were made. Waterfront retail is $319. For the money the Ray Ban's were a bargain compared to the Maui's. The Maui's have spring temples. The Ray Ban's do not.

The Ray Ban's honestly are more like not wearing shades at all. They're that comfy. The Maui's are comfy but the Ray Ban's more so. They just feel more natural on your face.

The 3424 can be found second hand at eBay. The Waterfront is a current offering at Costco for less than the 3424's retailed for.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_1250.jpeg
Foster Grant "solar shields" for night driving that fits over your glasses. Only $5 at Wal Mart. I chose medium size since my glases aren't real big. But they come in small and large as well.
Looking at the Foster Grant web site these would be called "Meade". Looking at eBay, called "Drivers", which is what the tag on these said.

Edit:
For driving at night these could use an anti-reflective coating on the inside of the lens. Ok, here's the scenario. I'm wearing them over my non anti-reflective coated glasses, which I'm used to. So the ghosts are not really noticed anymore. But with these over my glasses lights from behind seem to multiply like 8x, causing all kinds of added ghosting effect. Where there are no lights behind me like headlights, they're great at increasing depth perception a little. Yet with cars behind me all those reflections became very distracting. When wearing them without my glasses underneath there are no issues at all.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_1343.jpeg

Ray Ban 3447 mirrored vs Maui Jim Nautilus (MJ544) mirrored.
The 3447 were acquired sometime around 2012. The Maui's are a 2022 model.

IMG_1345.jpeg

IMG_1347.jpeg

Both have 50 mm polarized lenses. Ray Ban are very thin glass. Maui's are plastic, which type they don't say but they're pretty clear.

Both have anti-reflective coating on the eyeball side. The Ray Ban's were made in Italy. The Maui's, Japan.

The Ray Ban frame is a steel alloy where the Maui's titanium.

Both have a mild mirror appearance over gray lenses. The Maui's are a bit darker at the top and bottom yet about the same as the Ray Ban's are throughout.

Neither have spring temples but arms are flexible enough to make up for it.

The arms of the Maui's are curved. Ray's are straight.
IMG_1349.jpeg

My experience is be careful putting on the Maui's to ensure you don't poke your eye out.

The Ray Ban's are available in a number of configurations as well as the Maui's.

Price for the Ray Ban 3447 ranges are still from $100 to $150. The Maui Jim Nautilus $329 😱 (but Costco has 'em for $109 online only). Both are very comfy and lightweight. The Ray Ban's "feel" a bit more durable.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Definitely like Ray-Ban's, but a bit leery of having thin actual glass directly in front of my eyes. If you get prescription glasses, they give you an option of plastic vs. traditional glass lenses. If you pick the latter, you have to sign a waiver saying you understand the potential dangers involved of wearing the prescription glasses, and won't sue the doctor's office if you fall and damage your eyes; since the plastic lenses can't shatter.