Sunwayman D40A (XM-L2, 4xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO + more

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thank you for verification. 311uA is not ideal but acceptable. ... IMO Its a lot better than the EA4's UI, don't get me start on the ballooned button on EA4...
Yes, the interface of the D40A is excellent from my perspective as well.

As for the current draw, it is interesting that the lock-out steps up both the initial and long-term current by exactly 300uA (i.e., goes from 1.7mA/11uA normally to 2mA/311uA in lock-out). But it is a minor wrinkle, as a 311uA current draw is still acceptable (especially in a light with a physical lock-out).

elbowtko

Newly Enlightened
Is there a way to quickly access turbo mode without having the cycle through the previous memorized mode? Also whats your feeling about the lanyard placement. My only wish is for the neutral version to come out already...

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
Cant remember exactly, if not mistaken double click power button from off will bring you directly toturbo mode. Don't have the light with me now.

Bumble

Enlightened
jamjam is correct.. when the light is off double click the power button rapidly , then the light will enter into turbo. i dont use a lanyard so i cannot comment on that.

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
jamjam is correct.. when the light is off double click the power button rapidly , then the light will enter into turbo. i dont use a lanyard so i cannot comment on that.

There is a lot of complain about the lanyard hole. I think if you use a longer paracord it shouldn't be a problem.

kj2

Flashaholic
I'm afraid so - the Mode switch (when On) always jumps you to Turbo first, and then cycles down. I presume they did this intentionally, to give people quick access to Turbo from any mode. :shrug:

Maybe I've to check again but, for what I remember, if I have the light on med, then turn it off, turn it back on the light cycles to low and not back to turbo. But I could be wrong, I'll check it later.

Checked again. My light is in medium, turn it off, turn it back on and then press the mode button, it goes to low (and not first to turbo)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Cant remember exactly, if not mistaken double click power button from off will bring you directly toturbo mode. Don't have the light with me now.
Yes, double-click the Power switch from Off jumps you to Turbo.

Checked again. My light is in medium, turn it off, turn it back on and then press the mode button, it goes to low (and not first to turbo)
You are right - I've just double-checked as well, and find the same thing. This is strange ... playing around with it, I got it to jump to Turbo once (but not sure of the sequence that did it). The jump to Turob is what I first observed, but it doesn't seem to do it "normally" - the common response is to to simply step down to the next level.

Hmmm, I'll have to play it with some more to see what I did that brought it bact to Turbo. But in the meantime, I will revise the text to clarify the typical sequence.

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
Yes, double-click the Power switch from Off jumps you to Turbo.

You are right - I've just double-checked as well, and find the same thing. This is strange ... playing around with it, I got it to jump to Turbo once (but not sure of the sequence that did it). The jump to Turob is what I first observed, but it doesn't seem to do it "normally" - the common response is to to simply step down to the next level.

Hmmm, I'll have to play it with some more to see what I did that brought it bact to Turbo. But in the meantime, I will revise the text to clarify the typical sequence.

Another thing is when you start the light from moon mode by a long press, the first click on mode switch will bring you to low as well. For me this is good, so that I wont get a sudden blast by turbo from moon mode.

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
I'm glad the red led is just a battery indicator and not like on the explorer series lights. I am however a little surprised to see this light receiving 2x more comments than the eagletac is, I would have thought it be other way around with this having the battery carrier and all...

Selfbuilt ur the man, a review a day!? Impressive.

elbowtko

Newly Enlightened
Another thing is when you start the light from moon mode by a long press, the first click on mode switch will bring you to low as well. For me this is good, so that I wont get a sudden blast by turbo from moon mode.

I am glad to hear this, as I wouldn't want to go from moonlight mode to turbo. I am curious is this only from the long click? so if I decide to start the flashlight from moonlight based on memory (just by click) and I press the mode button, will it go to turbo or will this only happen with long click?

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
I am glad to hear this, as I wouldn't want to go from moonlight mode to turbo. I am curious is this only from the long click? so if I decide to start the flashlight from moonlight based on memory (just by click) and I press the mode button, will it go to turbo or will this only happen with long click?

It will also go to low mode first. The only time it will not go to low mode if your last used mode is turbo or hi, in this case, it will go to either hi or mid mode first. Hope this help.

__philippe

Enlightened
There is nothing wrong with a good carrier :)

Mind you, "good" is the crucial qualifier here...there has been, so far, at least one recent disturbing report about a D40A battery carrier melting insulator causing short-circuits between positive contact spring and negative carrier contact plate

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...pact-thrower&p=4226800&viewfull=1#post4226800

A potentially troublesome spot worth pondering in the "battery carrier vs no-carrier" debate....:whistle:

__philippe

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I am however a little surprised to see this light receiving 2x more comments than the eagletac is, I would have thought it be other way around with this having the battery carrier and all...
Selfbuilt ur the man, a review a day!? Impressive.
Well, more posts, but overall thread views aren't that different so far. ;) It comes down to what people what to discuss ... and the D40A represents more of a departure in build and interface for SWM than the GX25A3 does for ET (i.e., many of the common ET build issues have already been discussed elsewhere).

And don't expect this same level of posting frequency ... this was a special case where I was working on both reviews simultaenously. :)

A potentially troublesome spot worth pondering in the "battery carrier vs no-carrier" debate....:whistle:
It's hard to know what to make of one reported failure, where I gather the original report has been removed (i.e., don't know the specifics of that light, or how it was handled, etc.). If there are any systemic issues with this carrier, I am sure we will hear about them soon, once more people have them in hand.

elbowtko

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me what is the advantage of having a battery carrier in the first place?

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
It's hard to know what to make of one reported failure, where I gather the original report has been removed (i.e., don't know the specifics of that light, or how it was handled, etc.). If there are any systemic issues with this carrier, I am sure we will hear about them soon, once more people have them in hand.

Do you notice that every time you screw-on the head to the body with the battery carrier inside, you can hear the sound of the spring grinding with the positive end of the carrier. I think there is a slit possibility that the grinding actually make the spring go off-center and bend towards the negative contact. which wouldn't happen in normal circumstances. Just my thought.

Bumble

Enlightened
Can anyone tell me what is the advantage of having a battery carrier in the first place?

you can mechanically lock the d40a out to prevent activating the light accidently, (by twisting the battery tube a third of a turn)... you cannot do this on the ea4.

Bumble

Enlightened
Do you notice that every time you screw-on the head to the body with the battery carrier inside, you can hear the sound of the spring grinding with the positive end of the carrier. I think there is a slit possibility that the grinding actually make the spring go off-center and bend towards the negative contact. which wouldn't happen in normal circumstances. Just my thought.

Hi, on my sample the spring is VERY well centred.. there appears to be no "spring" noises made by the light when tightning the battery tube. the threads were quite dry when i first recieved the light, which did make a little noise ,so i used some nyogel 760.