Sunwayman V11R (XM-L, 1xR/CR123A, 1xAA/14500) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOT+

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Output/Runtime using 1 x CR123A: Max 190 lumens (1.5 hrs), Min 1 Lumen (35 hrs)
Using 1 x Li-Ion 16340, Turbo Mode: 500 lumens (25 min) - CAUTION: Do no run for more than 5 minutes in Turbo Mode
Do I read this that with Li-Ion batteries the light looses its modes?

Bl4ckSheep

Newly Enlightened
The light arrived today from Hkequipment and i have to say that its absolute amazing.
I love this EDC! Thank you for the review selfbuilt it was one of the reasons i bought it.

JudasD

Enlightened
I just received the V11R as well. Honestly i thought i would be happy with it, but then i read the review of the EagleTec D25C. The D25C is even shorter! In XML it has more lumens and in XPG it has more throw! ohh the choices!!!

JD

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the V11R as well. Honestly i thought i would be happy with it, but then i read the review of the EagleTec D25C. The D25C is even shorter! In XML it has more lumens and in XPG it has more throw! ohh the choices!!!

You have clearly explained why each one of us has many many lights .... :p

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, just charge it regularly since the light will happily overdischarge an unprotected cell.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly on max normally. afaik it draws a bit more current from an IMR because it can better cope with the high current draw (compared to a normal AW li-ion) Runtime on lower brightness levels is lower, but an IMR can sustain max a bit longer before dropping in brightness.

I use IMRs in mine when not using 17500s (with a bored out extender). 17500s better cope with the 2A current draw than most 16340s

thaugen

Enlightened
my Sunwayman V11r arrived today and I am very pleased with the quality of this light! The fit and finish are perfect, the switch is great (now that I've installed the included rubber boot switch), the XM-L beam is nice and white without too many rings or artifacts and this thing is a little powerhouse on AW ICR 123 or IMR 16340's.

I am glad I gave Sunwayman a chance and understand why there are so many positive reviews of this tiny tank of a light!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I am glad I gave Sunwayman a chance and understand why there are so many positive reviews of this tiny tank of a light!
FYI, I've been EDCing this light (with AA-extender, on 14500) since the review, and it has continued to perform well.

Two quibbles that I have are on the control ring - it remains stiffer than I would like (I had hoped it would loosen up with time), and you can potentially unscrew the whole head (breaking contact) when trying to turn it.

Others have commented on this latter point, but it hasn't been a big issue for me in practice for single-handed use (I think because the longer length of the AA-size makes it easier for my hands to grip it solidly - may be more of an issue in default 1xRCR length). When I've handed the light to someone else to inspect, they often wind up loosening the head because they use two hands to turn ring (and thus wind up twisting the body slightly). But for the single-handed way I use the light, it hasn't been much of an issue (i.e., a relatively rare occurence).

thaugen

Enlightened
the control ring - it remains stiffer than I would like...

Selfbuilt...thanks for your great reviews! I am glad to hear your V11r is holding up well over the long haul. Also, my V11r's control ring is very easy to turn, not too easy, but just about right in my opinion. Perhaps it depends on the light sample...

Newguy2012

Enlightened
FYI, I've been EDCing this light (with AA-extender, on 14500) since the review, and it has continued to perform well.

Two quibbles that I have are on the control ring - it remains stiffer than I would like (I had hoped it would loosen up with time), and you can potentially unscrew the whole head (breaking contact) when trying to turn it.

Others have commented on this latter point, but it hasn't been a big issue for me in practice for single-handed use (I think because the longer length of the AA-size makes it easier for my hands to grip it solidly - may be more of an issue in default 1xRCR length). When I've handed the light to someone else to inspect, they often wind up loosening the head because they use two hands to turn ring (and thus wind up twisting the body slightly). But for the single-handed way I use the light, it hasn't been much of an issue (i.e., a relatively rare occurence).
It is true that the v11r max is 190lm on an single AA? I asked because goinggear just reviewed the v10r ti. He said it's around 120lumens on AA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHFp1PCTbZA&list=UUbIlyOsx2GFLIqDTaFlS0Ig&index=3&feature=plcp The specs for v10r ti is the same as the v11r.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
It is true that the v11r max is 190lm on an single AA? I asked because goinggear just reviewed the v10r ti. He said it's around 120lumens on AA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHFp1PCTbZA&list=UUbIlyOsx2GFLIqDTaFlS0Ig&index=3&feature=plcp The specs for v10r ti is the same as the v11r.
My lumen estimate for the V11R on 1xNiMH was 190 lumens, so that sounds bang-on with specs. Don't know about the V10R Ti ... but my original XP-G R5-equipped V10A I estimated at 140 lumens on NiMH.

Up All Night

Enlightened
Excellent review! Thanks!

Out of the box my sample would not work with a 14500 or any AA size battery. After contacting the vendor, a suggestion of backing off the set screw & retightening seemed to work. However, I've had to do this several times and regardless of how tight I have this screw I can detect a rattle in the head. If I place a fingertip on the actual pos contact the rattle stops but this continual tightening has me "rattled"! Would anyone care to chime in as to whether they can induce a rattle on theirs when the head is removed from the body? Just a simple "give your head a shake"!:D
I'm liking the tint and travel of the control ring and would prefer not to return it, but I fear this issue is a harbinger of things to come!

Any feedback is welcome.
Thanks!

cyclesport

Enlightened
Excellent review! Thanks!

Out of the box my sample would not work with a 14500 or any AA size battery. After contacting the vendor, a suggestion of backing off the set screw & retightening seemed to work. However, I've had to do this several times and regardless of how tight I have this screw I can detect a rattle in the head. If I place a fingertip on the actual pos contact the rattle stops but this continual tightening has me "rattled"! Would anyone care to chime in as to whether they can induce a rattle on theirs when the head is removed from the body? Just a simple "give your head a shake"!:D
I'm liking the tint and travel of the control ring and would prefer not to return it, but I fear this issue is a harbinger of things to come!

Any feedback is welcome.
Thanks!

My V11R developed a slight rattle in the head after two months that I tracked down to the reflector being slightly loose. After some o-ring changes to the lens/reflector interface and no luck, I wrapped a slim strip of teflon tape one revolution around the circumference of the widest part of the reflector to take up the loose slack/fit and it worked. Nice and tight now with no loosening after several weeks of carry.

benji.hi

Newly Enlightened
There are two review threads up, I've posted my initial impressions on the other : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-review-%28XM-L-U2-1-x-16340-1-x-AA-w-ext-%29
But for the heck of it I thought I'd post it here as well to up the visibility.

I received mine from HKequipment yesterday.
Sorry to say, but out of the box my first impressions where fairly negative for a light this price. :mecry:
The BIG issue was that the light was stuck always on! I could click the tail switch as much as I liked and the light just stayed on.
After trying all possible forms of batteries(I got the extender) I decided It must be the (rubber) switch. If I followed the manual I should now return it to the dealer! :mad:
Instead I thought I'd try to change the switch for the metal one and figured out that you could unscrew the cap with needle nose pliers.
That gave me the idea that maybe the switch was on too tight. I backed it out half a turn and BINGO it works perfect.:thumbsup:

During all this the Threads seemed VERY dry and quite dirty, so I cleaned and lubed them. THEY WHERE FILTHY.

The light works fine now and I'm very happy with the beam (color shape and throw) and the control ring (a bit stiff). I'm runing it on a 16340 and it's great, the Low is SUPER low and the high is definitely blinding.

I guess I just expected better finish (clean lubed threads) and QC from what I've heard about sunwayman. My unboxing experience was WAY below a Fenix, more on par with a XXXXfire :sigh:

Maybe I'm being a flashlight noob, any opinions?
Also whilst the momentary on is working ok, am I correct in thinking that if I back out the switch a bit more it'll be a bit longer before the "click" (full on) ? could this cause problems?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I received mine from HKequipment yesterday.
Sorry to say, but out of the box my first impressions where fairly negative for a light this price. :mecry:
That seems unusual - in my experience, SWM lights have always been fully functioning and in very pristine condition coming out of the box.

In terms of the switch, it is true that misalignment could lead to issues (i.e., not turning on or off). But again, that should have been properly set at the factory. I wonder if you don't perhaps have a returned sample? That could explain the diry threads as well. I wonder if the eBay vendor could be a factor - are they an authorized SWM distributor (outside of Asia)?