Sunwayman V11R (XM-L, 1xR/CR123A, 1xAA/14500) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOT+

benji.hi

Newly Enlightened
I got it direct from the HKequipment e-store not ebay, thought they also sell on ebay. As for if they are an authorized SWM distributor I confess I didn't do my research.
I did get the light with shippign to Europe + the ap05 extension for $81,50 USD though.

Newguy2012

Enlightened
Excellent review! Thanks!

Out of the box my sample would not work with a 14500 or any AA size battery. After contacting the vendor, a suggestion of backing off the set screw & retightening seemed to work. However, I've had to do this several times and regardless of how tight I have this screw I can detect a rattle in the head. If I place a fingertip on the actual pos contact the rattle stops but this continual tightening has me "rattled"! Would anyone care to chime in as to whether they can induce a rattle on theirs when the head is removed from the body? Just a simple "give your head a shake"!:D
I'm liking the tint and travel of the control ring and would prefer not to return it, but I fear this issue is a harbinger of things to come!

Any feedback is welcome.
Thanks!

My V11R developed a slight rattle in the head after two months that I tracked down to the reflector being slightly loose. After some o-ring changes to the lens/reflector interface and no luck, I wrapped a slim strip of teflon tape one revolution around the circumference of the widest part of the reflector to take up the loose slack/fit and it worked. Nice and tight now with no loosening after several weeks of carry.

My V11r rattle since the day I got it. It's the magnet. If you guys didn't notice, the black circle under the head is the magnet.

hawk45

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review and updates. Just ordered one tonight (with extension). It's my first real flashlight (outside of some basic headlamps, toolbox lights and Steamlight Polytacs). Really excided.. came down to this or the ZebraLight SC80. I wanted to try the XML LED first and this allows the use of so many battery options.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the great review and updates. Just ordered one tonight (with extension). It's my first real flashlight (outside of some basic headlamps, toolbox lights and Steamlight Polytacs).
Let us know how you like it. I am still EDCing mine on my belt pouch, with the extender. While still not quite the perfect EDC, it does do the job well.

Of course, what would be the perfect EDC? :rolleyes: ... outside of some sort of transforming, Inspector Gadget-style multi-tool ... :laughing:

Up All Night

Enlightened
Excellent review! Thanks!

Out of the box my sample would not work with a 14500 or any AA size battery. After contacting the vendor, a suggestion of backing off the set screw & retightening seemed to work. However, I've had to do this several times and regardless of how tight I have this screw I can detect a rattle in the head. If I place a fingertip on the actual pos contact the rattle stops but this continual tightening has me "rattled"! Would anyone care to chime in as to whether they can induce a rattle on theirs when the head is removed from the body? Just a simple "give your head a shake"!:D
I'm liking the tint and travel of the control ring and would prefer not to return it, but I fear this issue is a harbinger of things to come!

Any feedback is welcome.
Thanks!

After having the above issue start to occur w/123's I sent the light back for exchange. I received the replacement today and have had the issue that benji.hi encountered. While not constant as his was I've had to cycle the switch a couple of times to get it to shut off. After several on/off cycles it seemed to be fine, so I thought all was well. I then came back to this review because I remembered benji's post and as I started reading the light just came on of its own accord. I can't seem to win for losing with this model!:banghead: Benji, has your backing out the switch been a permanent fix?

benji.hi

Newly Enlightened
Sorry It's taken me a while to reply, yes backing out the switch about a 1/3 turn has been a permanent fix for me.

Up All Night

Enlightened
Sorry It's taken me a while to reply, yes backing out the switch about a 1/3 turn has been a permanent fix for me.

No worries, I appreciate the reply. I backed mine out about about the same and had one misfire, so I continued until I could see the retaining ring through the lanyard holes. I then slowly tightened it(switching as I did) until firm & clear of the lanyard holes. Seems to be ok, fingers crossed! I hope that's it because I hate playing shipping tag!
Thanks again!

michelkenny

Newly Enlightened
One question, is the clip sturdy enough to have the light clipped on a belt, but not in a pocket (i.e. will the clip remove itself with a jolt?)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
One question, is the clip sturdy enough to have the light clipped on a belt, but not in a pocket (i.e. will the clip remove itself with a jolt?)
I haven't tried carrying it this way. While fairly sturdy (and not likely to come off easily), it could come off with enough force.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Selfbuilt,

As usual I will give an eloge for the amazing reviews you do!
I just have a question: 4Sevens AA Mini XP-G and Fenix LD10 XP-G R4 are two lights who according to the manufacturers specs are not allowed to be used with 14500(4Sevens actually put the 1,5V limit) I earlier read that these lights then should be damaged. But you still give report of brightness with these lights and 14500s. Just curious...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I just have a question: 4Sevens AA Mini XP-G and Fenix LD10 XP-G R4 are two lights who according to the manufacturers specs are not allowed to be used with 14500(4Sevens actually put the 1,5V limit) I earlier read that these lights then should be damaged. But you still give report of brightness with these lights and 14500s. Just curious...
There's a difference between not recommended and not supported by the circuit. The Fenix lights have always been able to take 14500, but you loose all the low modes initially (i.e., run as direct drive until the defined level is reached - usually shortly before protection circuit shut-down). The early Foursevens lights I tested were similar in this regard.

It's possible Foursevens has changed the circuit to no longer take higher voltage 14500 (if that's the case, the circuit could go :poof: immediately). But it may also simply be that that they have lowered the specs to try and prevent people from running the lights this way. As you can tell from my runtimes, there was never an issue with the various Foursevens lights taking 14500 (at least at the time of those reviews - although you do loose the lower modes).

As a general rule, I only test officially supported batteries in any given review. But if a specified voltage range (again, at the time of the review) allows higher voltage cells, I typically give it a try (unless the manufacturer explicitly warns me against it). The Zebralight SC51 comes to mind ... I tested 14500 before the manufacturer came out and said they were not supported. I don't know if there was a circuit change along with that, but my early sample appears to handle them fine.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my v11r in the mail today. I've always liked the looks of this light and after reading your review decided to pull the trigger on one. Tried it first with the 16340 and was immediately impressed by the beam. Opened the extender up and couldn't resist. Dremel time! The AW17500 fits in there nicely. It's definitely a great little light for the money.

Last edited:

Newguy2012

Enlightened
I received my v11r in the mail today. I've always liked the looks of this light and after reading your review decided to pull the trigger on one. Tried it first with the 16340 and was immediately impressed by the beam. Opened the extender up and couldn't resist. Dremel time! The AW17500 fits in there nicely. It's definitely a great little light for the money.
Sunwaman didn't recommend 17500 with the extender. Would it be bad if you use them in the light long term? How much bigger is the 17500 to 14500? I just checked the spec. I wish I got the 17500 instead of 14500. :[

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

I actually carry mine this way. It has come off my belt from being caught on my seatbelt but the clip was still on the light.

I've had 2 V11Rs fail with the AA extender. Tightening the head screw was a short tern fix last time. Then it stopped and I sent it back to HID candada. About a month and a half later I got it back with a new extender. It worked for a day then the same problem occurred as I put the clip on. It just went out. I took the clip off and it still didn't work. Switched to cr123 and it shone like normal. Put the clip on and off and it never shut off. Put the extender back on and it still wouldn't turn on. Put clip on and off again and still nothing.

Jason with HID Canada has been wonderful throughout the process but I have officially given up on the extender. Why is it doing this?

-Alex

Newguy2012

Enlightened
I actually carry mine this way. It has come off my belt from being caught on my seatbelt but the clip was still on the light.

I've had 2 V11Rs fail with the AA extender. Tightening the head screw was a short tern fix last time. Then it stopped and I sent it back to HID candada. About a month and a half later I got it back with a new extender. It worked for a day then the same problem occurred as I put the clip on. It just went out. I took the clip off and it still didn't work. Switched to cr123 and it shone like normal. Put the clip on and off and it never shut off. Put the extender back on and it still wouldn't turn on. Put clip on and off again and still nothing.

Jason with HID Canada has been wonderful throughout the process but I have officially given up on the extender. Why is it doing this?

-Alex

Did you make sure the AA extender is fully tighten to the head?

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwaman didn't recommend 17500 with the extender. Would it be bad if you use them in the light long term? How much bigger is the 17500 to 14500? I just checked the spec. I wish I got the 17500 instead of 14500. :[

Not sure on the exact dimensions of the AW 17500 (Market place/dealers has all the specs) it will fit the host diameter. The extender is what has to be bored for it to fit. A 16340, 14500, &17500 all have the same voltage. The 17500 is just going to give you more run time.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

-Alex

Have you checked the spring on the switch? Bent, mashed down? When the battery is in the tube with the light apart does it stick out the end of the tube? Sounds like a contact problem.

Up All Night

Enlightened
climberkid,
Read posts 37,45 and 47. My first one had the extender issue, then it wouldn't work with 123 size batts. The second one seems to have no issue with the extender but misfires occasionally when switching off. Even after backing the switch out and retightening I still get the odd misfire.
I agree about about Jason's customer service, it's top notch. I'm sure SWM are usually pretty solid but two bad ones in a row has left a bit of a bad taste.

Newguy2012

Enlightened
climberkid,
Read posts 37,45 and 47. My first one had the extender issue, then it wouldn't work with 123 size batts. The second one seems to have no issue with the extender but misfires occasionally when switching off. Even after backing the switch out and retightening I still get the odd misfire.
I agree about about Jason's customer service, it's top notch. I'm sure SWM are usually pretty solid but two bad ones in a row has left a bit of a bad taste.
Did try to tighting the lens head? If the lens head is loose it doesn't turn on. Also is that a retail light? Your OP says sample.