Super Reliable Headlamp for backpacking?

doughogg2

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a super-reliable headlamp for backpacking for 3 or 4 days?

Needs to be light, not super bright but very reliable. I suppose that carrying another light is an option, but if there is a headlamp with replacement parts that would be lighter than carrying a 2nd light, that would be great.

:)

Doug

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
For a super light headlamp I really like my Fenix HL50. It packs nicely in an Efest 18650 battery case. The case prevents accidentally turning on the headlamp while it is in your backpack. You can even squeeze in a spare battery.

Bob

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hl50-led-headlamp/

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...XM-L2-T6-Neutral-White-CR123A-or-1xAA)-Review

20160309_181259_zps24vsceat.jpg

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Petzl for me all the time + I would carry a backup light if I were you,something light and tiny worn around the neck could be a lifesaver,any zipper pull light would be sufficient but my preference would be Nitecore Tube or EO1

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
Petzl for me all the time + I would carry a backup light if I were you,something light and tiny worn around the neck could be a lifesaver,any zipper pull light would be sufficient but my preference would be Nitecore Tube or EO1

X2

I always carry a backup light. Usually it is a "cigar" light in a holster next to my knife.

Bob

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a super-reliable headlamp for backpacking for 3 or 4 days?

Needs to be light, not super bright but very reliable. I suppose that carrying another light is an option, but if there is a headlamp with replacement parts that would be lighter than carrying a 2nd light, that would be great.

Doug

What battery type do you prefer and what is going to be your activities? If we are talking about general camp stuff I think the recommendation for the HL50 is a good one. The 1XAA battery is easy to change and buy. The HL50 has a metal construction and Fenix is a good brand. I would also recommend using LSD NiMH batteries as they will perform better. The HL50 can also run 1XCR123 (Surefire battery) primaries which can be advantageous for longer runtimes or if you also use lights that run them. On a side note packing a small 1XAA flashlight to go along with the HL50 isn't a bad idea. It can act as a backup light in case the headlamp goes MIA, battery carrier for an extra 1XAA and help facilitate battery changes in the dark. Multi use gear item which would add next to nothing in terms of pack weight and bulk.

doughogg2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Great ideas.

Carrying an extra battery in a backup flashlight makes sense.

Doug

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
Thanks. Great ideas.

Doug

Two is one; one is none.

All of my flashlights use the Cr123 and/or the 18650 rechargeable batteries for that reason. The longer you are here the more flashlights you will accumulate. :p

I prefer the the lithium batteries as you will get better cold weather performance and longer run times.

Bob

scout24

Flashaholic

Woods Walker

Thanks. Great ideas.

It works great.

These two can take 1XAA, 1XAAA (with packed adaptor) or 1XCR123. The little Quark flashlight can even take lithium ion (but not the HL50). So if the headlamp (in this case HL50) runs dry I can use one from the Quark.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is another pic of the Gloworm case with 2xZebralight H600's, headbands including top straps, and a spare 18650 in a EVVA silicone sleeve. It will fit 2 more spare cells if needed as well. Great case for this purpose:thumbsup:

f0Wv4w7.jpg

Last edited:

jeepchic55

Newly Enlightened
I just got a zebralight h600Fd and love it. The quality is great, and it is really comfortable. The UI is intuitive, which I love because I hate trying to get used to a new light.

hazza

Newly Enlightened
The most reliable headlamps I've owned are Petzl. They just work. The downside (for me) is that they generally take 3xAAA.

If you're after something small and lightweight, and that you may be able to find extra batteries for, the Zebralight H52 might fit the bill. It takes 1xAA. If you had a backup AA light, that could be your spare if you need it, as someone suggested.

Omega73

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Great ideas.

It works great.

These two can take 1XAA, 1XAAA (with packed adaptor) or 1XCR123. The little Quark flashlight can even take lithium ion (but not the HL50). So if the headlamp (in this case HL50) runs dry I can use one from the Quark.

Whar is that little black thing between the headlamp and flashlight?

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
anymore information on the backpacking? rain? cold?
i would bring two lights using the same battery format. another way to look at it is to ask what battery format your friends will carry. that way you are each other's backups.

do you mean light on the head or light overall? to be honest, one 18650 is good enough for several days. you wouldn't really need to carry spare. meaning 1 18650 headlamp weight vs 1 aa headlamp and several spare batteries. but an 18650 headlamp is much heavier on the head because of the cell weight.
i would cr123/16340 or aa/14500 and have a spare light that carries similar.
on durability? i don't think i had a headlamp really fail on me in normal use. i had a petzl case that cracked on me so i would consider headlamps in a plastic format to be least reliable because they are subject to that and are not waterproof at all. i think you would be safe with any premium chinese company.

Woods Walker

Whar is that little black thing between the headlamp and flashlight?

That's an extra body for the quark holding a 1XCR123 battery. The Quark can lego so to swap batteries types I just change the body. Also we have a great little battery holder that is so UL. This way the HL50 and Quark can use all the same battery types with the exception of lithium ion. The Quark can take them but not HL50.

TKhanson

Newly Enlightened
Here is another pic of the Gloworm case with 2xZebralight H600's, headbands including top straps, and a spare 18650 in a EVVA silicone sleeve. It will fit 2 more spare cells if needed as well. Great case for this purpose:thumbsup:

Where do I purchase an "EVVA silicone sleeve"? I could really use one of those.

f0Wv4w7.jpg

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine in a package deal from Amazon but, you can find them at other places like Mountain Electronics, Fasttech, many vape shops, exc. Just run a Google search for "EVVA battery case or sleeves" 👍

macosxfiles

Newly Enlightened
The best all-around reliable headlamp I have found is the Black Diamond Storm. I had the previous version which was fantastic, and recently bought the 2016 version which made several improvements.

black-diamond-storm-2016.jpg

I also like my JETBeam HR25 headlamp which has a great long throw, but it is heavier and has an additional strap on top.

jetbeam-hr25.jpg

Last edited: