Surefire’s 2010 New Lights Discussion

Cypher

Enlightened
Ask and ye shall receive.

scan0021.jpg

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
So does the UB3T Invictus replace the old UB3 or are there now two UB3 models? I was really looking forward to this beauty:

Agreed, that UB3T tooks silly and unmanageable. The UA2 and UB2 looked awesome, the UB3 great also, the UB3T not so. Doesn't SF do customer research or panels? Who would have voted for THAT?

Last edited:

Phredd

Enlightened
I did not see a UB3 there. Only the UB3T. I specifically asked a rep about the UA2, UB2, UB3 situation and he pointed me to the UB3T.

That svcks! I've been waiting for, what, like 2 years for the UA2, then the UB3 -- and now they replace it with this monstrosity?! I guess this could just be another "catalog only release," but I fear THIS will be the one that they will actually release. Ugh!

My wallet HATES this thread.

They just saved me $300.

Phredd

Enlightened
Somebody help me out here. Not being a flashlight aficionado, are eight (8) light levels on the UB3T useful for anything? I had my fingers crossed for SF to cut that to 3 or maybe 4 max with the final version of UB3.

You might be right that nobody needs 8 levels. The problem is that if you limit it to only 4 levels, NOBODY will agree on what the 4 levels should be.

Cypher

Enlightened
Thank you, kindly :).

I can't really tell what the main differences are between the Pen II, III, and IV. They seem pretty similar. It appears maybe the III is HA and the IV is not.

They are all type III. It looks like each has different color options and a little different exterior design. Pen II, III, IV are all click pens. Pen I you twist to operate. Ha! Clickies and Twisties.

Cypher

Enlightened
The UB3T was very cool from a "features" standpoint. It does look just a little bloated with the selector ring behind the cooling fins. I still liked it though. I think it will still have broad appeal just like the other surefires that have turbo heads. They just won't be as practical or pocketable as the edc type surefires.

I thought the M3TL was awesome. It has a slightly thinner profile without the selector ring, it has the simple, beautiful, classic type III ano and the super simple L1 UI. I loved it. I was in shock when I picked it up.

I must say I was almost giddy when I saw the E2L-AA. I don't particularly want one myself but all I could think about was jaws dropping on CPF when everyone heard about a (non-headlamp) Surefire AA.

AlienWorlds

Newly Enlightened
You might be right that nobody needs 8 levels. The problem is that if you limit it to only 4 levels, NOBODY will agree on what the 4 levels should be.

Hmmm, good point. I was poised to pounce on the UB3 if SF offered the non-ghostware version in L/M/H (say, 30/200/400 lumens), but now I'll wait for price and early reviews from CPFers. Meanwhile, the more I use the LX2, the more it seems like pure genius. :thumbsup:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, that UB3T tooks silly and unmanageable. The UA2 and UB2 looked awesome, the UB3 great also, the UB3T not so. Doesn't SF do customer research or panels? Who would have voted for THAT?

Me. :shrug: :wave:

BytorJr

Newly Enlightened
That tan pen looks really cool. Probably 200 bucks though.

Does anybody know how much those weapons lights are going to cost? Me likes!!!!

bigfoot

Enlightened
:faint: Really? Can it be finally true? A SureFire E2L that runs on 2 x AA batteries? This is the light campers, hikers, fisherman, hunters, etc. have been waiting for. Now you can power your GPS, two-way radio, headlamp, and various other electronics off the same battery size.

THANK YOU SUREFIRE!!

(And that new LX1 is looking pretty sweet, too...)

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2L-AA uses a TIR :whistle:

..wait, where did I hear that.

Last edited:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Came back from the SHOT Show and here are my observations:

-Everyone's favorite light, the UB3 Invictus has been reborn into the UB3T Invictus and sports a head similar to the upcoming M3LT. Everything else about the light such as the ring control, battery indicator and combat grip remains unchanged. And yes there is a big optic inside the head. One word: AWESOME (calm down kids, it will be released sometime this year!).

-M3LT will be released sometime later this year. Pretty much a UB3T with 2 modes: 400 Lumens high and 70 Lumens low. I tell you it was bright in the exhibition hall but on high this light very bright. Also available with a strobe (M3LT-S) with the 3X click activation. Like the UB3T it will be available soon.

-The upcoming AZ2-S LED Combatlight has a new cousin, the Z2-S which is a single mode combatlight but with a STROBE (press tailcap 3X and it will enter strobe mode). This will make you the life of the party (and makes a good light in case things go south LOL)

-Everyone has been clamoring for Surefire to make some sort of AA light and apparently they have been listening. The E2L has gone AA (the CR123 model will still be made). Now the output is sporting 80 Lumens on hight (up from 60) and 3 Lumens on low. Word is that it is using a KX1 head.

-Stratum. Not much to say about this light. Think the modernized version of the 6P, now with 3 MODES! (click on/off to change modes). It will be using a new LED head (possibly a upgraded P60L, not sure) that will produce 150L (high), 50 L (med) and 5 L (low). Look for it soon at a retailer near you. Also has flat sides with a M6 style body.

-On a related note, Surefire is working on a new LED head for the P/G/Z series lights. They are redesigning a new module/head assembly that will be sold together (great for those with G2 and want to upgrade to a LED). Apparently the new LED will be 120 lumens (this blow the current P60L outta the water!). It is still being worked on and I guess they will release it soon as all the P/G/C/Z lights in the new catalog are now sporting 120 Lumens ratings.

-The Mini Scout light. You take the Scoutlight cut it half or mount a E1B on a mount. LOL. There's not much to it, its small, light and puts out a good amount of light. Lots of gun manufacturers had the Mini on their guns (recall seeing one on the Steyr A3)

-M720/M720L/M720V RAID Series Weapoinlight (aka Tactical Illuminators). Looks like a new design weapon light that allows people in the field to change their batteries (hence the bent design) without removing the light from their weapon. Push button momentary switch. Mode selection on the sides. Has places on the back to attach a remote pressure switch or a grip switch. M720 puts out 200 Lumens (looks like a LX2 head), M720L puts out 350 Lumens and the M720V is pretty much a mini Vampire light.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire did also have a limited edition 30th Anniversary commemorative collectors set. A set was donated to the MattK party and was awarded to Polklifer

IMG_6637.jpg

IMG_6636.jpg

IMG_6709.jpg