Surefire’s 2010 New Lights Discussion

knightrider

Enlightened
The E2L-AA is cool!

I couldn't wait for Surefire... no cool clip, though.

e1laa.jpg

Is that a DSpeck Universal body? Heard about them but haven't seen them around. Great idea that Surefire seems to have taken notice of.

When this comes to market I will have to get one for sure. Only thing I don't like about AAs is leakage, but with how much I'd use a light like this I'd be changing out the batteries a lot.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been running Surefires on AA's for years! It's no mystery to me.

I used to have a Dspeck body. That isn't the one I sold awhile back, is it?

I just preferred the Vital Gear 3 instead. 2 x AA or 3 x AA with the Dspeck extender.

I have a 4xCR123A E-series Balrog body on the way from the Marketplace, I might be able to make some weird multi AA E-series Frankenlight out of it. :grin2:

I am abstaining from Surefire LED heads for now, until they join the modern age with warm tints. And no modes!

Last edited:

sfca

Enlightened
Wait, that's not the long awaited AZ2, it's just an upgraded Z2. It's single mode only.

Sigh... 4 leds for low floodbeam and 1 for high beam would be great.

Cypher

Enlightened
The P60L is being replaced by a new 120 lumen head. There will no longer be an led drop in. The rep told me this is to ensure a good thermal path. It's not a seoul led that was in them either. I've not kept up with every led but it looked luxeon K2-ish to me. Come to think of it I did see something there with a seoul but I can't remember what it was now. The rep didn't know what led was being used.

The Stratum is basically a 3 level 6p in a new body.

Anything with an S in the name has strobe feature accessed by triple clicking the tailcap.

E2L-AA has been covered.

Lx1 looks cool.

I'm really digging the M3LT. High is 400 lumens. I think low was 70? Can't remember for sure. Asked which led it uses and he didn't know that one either. He did confirm the obvious point of it being multi-die but that's it. TIR optic.

The UB3 and M3LT are basically the same except the addition of levels and strobe, blah, blah, blah. Both high of 400 lumens, same emitter, same TIR. Obviously the UB3 has a few extra "features".

The stratum, Z2s, and all the various 1" bezel lights appeared to have a serrated bezel ring that some of you have mentioned in previous posts. The reflector looked kind of shallow to my eyes and then the end of the bezel has the same treatment as the edge of a quarter.

That's all I can remember for now. I think it's all correct unless the reps or my memory is flawed.

Cypher

Enlightened
Sigh... 4 leds for low floodbeam and 1 for high beam would be great.

I remember playing with one just like that. It has 4 green flood leds and one single main emitter. Can't remember what the model number was though. Maybe it was the AZ2...

Cypher

Enlightened
I think there was a M3TL-S there too now that I think about it.

rtt

Enlightened
Wow, the E2L-AA Outdoorsman, is just what I have been wishing for! Hope it comes to market. I can finally get a stock SF that takes AA cells:)!

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
" It has 4 green flood leds and one single main emitter. Can't remember what the model number was though. Maybe it was the AZ2..."

That would be the A2L.

Some awesome info coming out. Can't wait for the lights to actually come out!

sfca

Enlightened
The P60L is being replaced by a new 120 lumen head. There will no longer be an led drop in. The rep told me this is to ensure a good thermal path.

Sigh.. That kinda sucks. An advancement on a better C2/6P/Z2 head would have been nice.
icon14.gif

I trust non-OEM drop-ins, but.. I mean I know a lot of people do, but I can't quite trust fully a non-OEM replacement head - if this will be the path we are moving towards.

Anything with an S in the name has strobe feature accessed by triple clicking the tailcap.

As long as Surefire can explain their reasoning behind jumping on the strobe bandwagon instead of the short/simple&sweet philosophy of the past; I'm good.

Must be one hell of a strobe!

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the new heads will be good!

It is the long awaited P61L when you think about it.

I have a KL5, and I find it easier to install, and more robust then the drop-ins.

Cypher

Enlightened
Oops, what I called the UB3 is actually the UB3T.

scan0005.jpg

The new heads with the serrated bezel edge were on the Stratum and Z2-S. The Z2-S has a 150 lumen output on high but the regular Z2L has a high of 120 lumens. I don't know if that has something to do with the Z2-S having the serrated bezel (meaning new?) and the Z2L looks like the regular surefire bezel.

scan0007.jpg

Here's the Stratum and E2L-AA.

scan0006.jpg

Cypher

Enlightened
Both the UB3T and M3LT use the L1 style two stage tailcap for low and high. High being instantly accessible on the UB3T without having to turn the dial.