Surefire’s 2010 New Lights Discussion

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to even participate in this subtopic but what 2 x AA light is actually 230L OTF ?????

One is not 230L OTF, but 206L OTF Quark 2AA
The other is the upcoming PC20A2 from EagleTac listed at 230L OTF. I can only quote what they list until someone prove it other wise.

I did not posted my first post to bash Surefire. I, in fact, really like the quality for I had a G2L (I bought from you) and an E1L. I am just disappointed that its only 80 lumen and I think the catalog stated the runtime to be 3hrs.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It was a good analogy however...

It's still a good one. I'm over six feet tall, and can't even fit in a Subaru. (Literally. I tried them on for size at the New York International Auto Show a couple of years back).

Meanwhile, I'm very happy with my Mazda6, and the great customer service I get at the Mazda Dealership I bought it from. I've got speed, comfort, good looks, and a buttload of grin-enducing low-end torque!

While I have a number of other lights I enjoy, my Surefires are in a class by themselves. I want the total package. The light that is good at everything. I learned the hard way that a cheap price-tag and screaming bright output alone is not worth it.

You can go to a street corner and spend your money on something that has a cheap price-tag and screaming good looks. . . And what you end up with also isn't going to be worth it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
No more of this boring car talk. That's a cafe thread or one for a car forum please!

Also, as we've done before, we'll start a new thread for each new flashlight model to concentrate discussion. This is especially the case if a new model is actually released.

This thread is useful to discuss the wider implications of SureFire's new products for 2010.
There is so little detail of specific ratings and performance that getting too bogged down with specific model discussion this early seems rather wasted effort.

But in terms of concepts and direction - surely there is plenty to discuss about what SureFire showed off as new for 2010 at SHOT Show 2010.

Al :)

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree, we have discussed the aspects of the new AA light shown, I think the most significant aspect of the new releases is actually the (we assume) 6P replacement that does NOT support incan Lamp Assemblies (LA) or any other assemblies of any sort - commonly referred to as 'drop-ins.' This cuts out what I'm sure SF saw as others eating their lunch on their most popular model, but does address one thing I see as the biggest limiting factor of the 6P platform with respect to LEDs - Heat Sinking, or the lack thereof. The new design essentially replaces the 6P bezel (a term I think will fade as it is no longer just a bezel that covers a LA as in the incan past) with a KL3 type 'Head' that you will now have to buy the entire thing of to upgrade your C-series. This is a change for 95% or more of 6P users who use the 6P bezel with LED (or even incan) aftermarket drop-ins.
Sooooo....
1) will the current drop-in suppliers be forced to start making entire heads?
2) will they decide only to support legacy product (old 6P bezels) with the same style drop-ins as they supply today? This market will still be around for a while.
3) will they just make their own old style 6P bezels as Solarforce and modders do now? I think this will continue too, but as a less efficient option to the dedicated, better heat sinked heads.
4) will there be a way to easily upgrade the new bezels with a new style of drop-in that still takes advantage of the improved sinking? We won't know until we get our hands on one and open it up.
5) will there emerge a supplier or two that you send the new drop-ins to so they can modify the head for such a new drop-in as #4?
6) or will the new heads be like KL & KX heads that require a modder's effort to open and upgrade the LED itself?
Only time will tell on the last few, but I think the first few will all hapen to varying degrees.

There, is that back on track, Al?
This thread is useful to discuss the wider implications of SureFire's new products for 2010.
But in terms of concepts and direction - surely there is plenty to discuss about what SureFire showed off as new for 2010 at SHOT Show 2010.

Al

Last edited:

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Yeah I'd love to know more about the Anniversary set. How limited will the availabilty be on it? Or will it be commercially available at all?

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
I was just catching up on this thread and thought I'd wandered on to Car & Driver's web site.

The idea of SF lights no longer being 'hosts' is disturbing to me. While I would never buy a cheapo drop-in for my weapon lights, there is one manufacturer that I and many in the LE/Military/Contractor community do trust. I like options and I believe, whatever the form factor, that after-market engineers will continue to design develop and sell alternatives that meet or exceed even the high quality standards of Surefire.

iapyx

Enlightened
Also, I'm too lazy to search through 10 pages, so forgive me if someone else has done this, but I plan on scanning the catalog today or tomorrow.

I have the catalog - I was just surprised at the lack of discussion....

Really? dont kidding me! :mecry: could u share it? someone?

That's why I posted a giant carrot in post #325.
Carrot, have you been able to make that scan? :)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I'd love to know more about the Anniversary set. How limited will the availabilty be on it? Or will it be commercially available at all?

1800 Sets are being made.

It's an E1B and a Pen with this insanely beautiful hand-andozing effect in a wooden case with a plaque with the same anodizing.

PolkLifer one won at our party - I'll see if I can get him to snap some pics.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone post pics of the 30th Anniversary Set yet?

I took the photo of Polklifer's set that he won at the MattK party and he did request we post photos. :D Looks like it got eclipsed by all the discussion of the new lights

Post # 198 on page 7. Nice stuff and the splash anodizing looks really neat.

Last edited:

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire AA . . .

29-01-2010, 4:52PM PST and the Surefire CS person yes it's real, but not for 6-8 months? Guess it's time to get the LX2. It IS available, right?

davidt

Enlightened
Re: Surefire's 2010 New Lights Discussion

I don't think anybody has noticed yet, but the Surefire 2010 tactical catalog has been posted on Surefire's website.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think anybody has noticed yet, but the Surefire 2010 tactical catalog has been posted on Surefire's website.

Woo-Hoo! Thanks DavidT!!!! Does this mean there gonna finish releasing th stuff that was in there '09 catalog? I too don't like the idea of the "P60 Host" going away, which it looks like it's heading in that direction...