Surefire A2 Aviator bi-pin adaptors/Tad's customs

1pt21

Enlightened
Why not?

How about this?

Solid Brass bi-pin Socket for E1/E2 - US$25 (one bulb included)

Bi-pin Xenon Bulb - US$2

Options:
3V (2.4V) 1.3A
3V (2.4V) 1.8A
3.7V 1.3A
3.7A 1.8A
4.8V 1.3A
4.8V 1.8A
7.2V 1.3A
7.2V 1.8A

Anyone wants to test this E1/E2 bi-pin socket? Please email me. I will try to finish two samples in 2 weeks.

Edit: E1 / E2 bi-pin kit samples reserved for ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond and MaxStatic.

Hell yeah!!! :party:

Feels like years I've been waiting for a re-run of basically all of these offerings.. CANNOT WAIT!

MaxStatic

Newly Enlightened
I jumped into the pre order for the A2 kit and will also be testing the E kit. I have an E2D and E1E and will be doing some basic testing with both primaries and 16430's with the various bulbs.

I dont have have a bunch of fancy test equipment to show run times or output or the like but I'll do my best to fill everybody in on what to expect.

If if you have questions, send him an email, he is very responsive. It will be a bit before everything is cranked out so be patient and I'll fill you all in with what I find. Cheers.

Just tried out Tad's adaptor, a 3.7V 1.8A bulb and a 4.8V 1.3A bulb. My pictures show a clear difference between the two prior mentioned bulbs and the stock Surefire unit. In order of brightness from least to most we have the 4.8V, the stock bulb, 3.7V coming out as the clear winner in light output.

The adaptor itself is very well made. In my very short testing so far it's functioned perfectly in my round-body. It was very easy to install; it just dropped right in with the perfect amount of fitment IMO. The stock Surefire bulb fits very tight and can be a pain to remove.

Tad's packaging was stellar. I will be posting pictures of the beams, the adaptor and packaging in a few hours when I get home.

Double Barrel

Enlightened
Just tried out Tad's adaptor, a 3.7V 1.8A bulb and a 4.8V 1.3A bulb. My pictures show a clear difference between the two prior mentioned bulbs and the stock Surefire unit. In order of brightness from least to most we have the 4.8V, the stock bulb, 3.7V coming out as the clear winner in light output.

The adaptor itself is very well made. In my very short testing so far it's functioned perfectly in my round-body. It was very easy to install; it just dropped right in with the perfect amount of fitment IMO. The stock Surefire bulb fits very tight and can be a pain to remove.

Tad's packaging was stellar. I will be posting pictures of the beams, the adaptor and packaging in a few hours when I get home.

This sounds promising!

Tad, please put me down for one, when and if these become available for purchase.

Looking forward to more updates

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pictures.

I myself have to both TadCustoms bi-pin kit for C mags and the packaging is incredible. The build quality seems equally impressive, but I am waiting for my 2C Hosts to come in the mail to do my full review and opinion.

This thread is making me want to pick up an A2 Incan now.....

bigC

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a very interesting development; having a new readily-available source of both sockets and bulbs! jimbyjimb, do you have a newer, rounded 3-flats Aviator or one of the old Digital Plus Series 4-flats models? The bulb contact distance was slightly different between the two and it'd be interesting to know if it fits both.

I am waiting for my 2C Hosts to come in the mail to do my full review and opinion.

This thread is making me want to pick up an A2 Incan now.....

I'm looking forward to seeing that as well. My flashlight introduction was via LED, I'm quickly falling in love with incans. A2's can be had for about 90 bucks in primo shape. I bet if you hunted long enough you could find a pretty good deal on one. The LED flood and 'gas-pedal' momentary push-button/twist for constant features make this one hell of a light. I loved it so much I just bought another from the WTS forum...

Tad CSW

Newly Enlightened
I have a round body.

Thank you Jim for the review!

The A2 bi-pin socket is compatible with both new / round and old / 4-flats versions.
I am planning to change the 4.8V 1.3A to a 4.8V 1.2A bulb. The new 4.8V 1.2A bulb should have a higher efficiency. I will test the samples in a few days.

Tad CSW

Newly Enlightened
This sounds promising!

Tad, please put me down for one, when and if these become available for purchase.

Looking forward to more updates

Thank you.
The production of A2 sockets should be finished by June 10. And I think I can get these bulbs by the the same day from the bulb factory:
1) 3.7V 1.8A (the one just tested by Jim)
2) 3.7V 1.2A (new, longer battery runtime)
3) 4.8V 1.2A (new, replaced the old one tested by jim, brighter than the old one, longer life than 3.7V bulbs.)

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics. I really like the 3.7 volt bulb.

Can't wait to try out the E-series adapter with some of the bulb options. I'm excited about Tad's offerings. A very nice refresh for parts which have been very hard to come by to date.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
This is a very interesting development; having a new readily-available source of both sockets and bulbs! jimbyjimb, do you have a newer, rounded 3-flats Aviator or one of the old Digital Plus Series 4-flats models? The bulb contact distance was slightly different between the two and it'd be interesting to know if it fits both.

Yeah I always wondered why no one came up with a small spring soldered to the center button to accommodate the slight variance? Seems like such a no brainer. I just cut down the outer contact ring on my LF bulbs which allows them to be used in both A2 variations. Time consuming but it makes them work!

StudFreeman

Enlightened
I'm super excited for all these new parts! Gonna get one for each A2 and (and hopefully E2E) :)

Tad, do you think you could source a low-output A2 bulb? The A2 never had a LO, laser-focused lamp like the E2's MN02 vs. MN03 lamps. A 3.7V bulb with a tiny filament and medium output (~40 lumens OTF) would be awesome and (potentially more than) double runtime over an MA02.