SureFire A2 Aviator warranty still valid?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Its been a while with SF but I have two choices. What should I do?

1. Have faulty Black A2 returned unrepaired (spares no longer available)
2. SureFire 'destroy' my Black A2 and send me a new EDCL2

Is a faulty - but mint condition Black A2 worth more than a new EDCL2? Advice appreciated.

If the head is fried and can't be fixed it is now nothing but a sentimental piece I would think. Anyone know if you could take the guts out of another A2 and put in the spent host?

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, guts can be taken out and installed into other body.
You only need to be really carefull with those tiny black ratining legs on top. The best way is to use a heatgun to soften them a bit (they are really stiff) and pry it with a screwdriver or similar.
Then gentile tap from the back (inside of the tube) with a pin punch will do the magic.

Sent from Tapatalk

Minimoog

Enlightened
What's wrong with the A2 ?

The lamp regulator and driver PCB is faulty. LED's work fine, lamp does not.

It would not light after the light got warm when I used it continuously for 20 minutes one time, then would not turn on again after that. I fitted fresh batteries then just a small burning smell of the IC failing.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Yes, guts can be taken out and installed into other body.
You only need to be really carefull with those tiny black ratining legs on top. The best way is to use a heatgun to soften them a bit (they are really stiff) and pry it with a screwdriver or similar.
Then gentile tap from the back (inside of the tube) with a pin punch will do the magic.

Sent from Tapatalk

This is a fair option, but would mean robbing another A2 - which are in short supply in the UK as it is - and it would be criminal to render another A2 useless.

Its a real quandary. I suppose unless there is someone really wanting a black A2 the offer from SF is fair - and they are firm that it is not sent back as well as the new light - which is fair enough.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Is that on the ring, or not ?

Its inside under the lamp - but not able to see it without taking it to bits - which I did not do as returned it to SF for evaluation.

Without spares, all A2's are on borrowed time.

archimedes

Flashaholic
This is a fair option, but would mean robbing another A2 - which are in short supply in the UK as it is - and it would be criminal to render another A2 useless....

The HA-BK finish A2 were a special limited run, released overseas only I believe, thus rare and (much) more desirable than the common HA (natural) finish A2.

Its inside under the lamp - but not able to see it without taking it to bits - which I did not do as returned it to SF for evaluation.

I was specifically asking if you happen to know if the damaged part is on the "onion ring" because many replacements for those were produced by a variety of modders.

Without spares, all A2's are on borrowed time.

This is why I bought several heavily used and cosmetically rough A2 "parts lights" a few years back.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
With so few A2-BK's out there (compared to the standard HA-Nat), speaking as a classic SF collector I hope something can be worked out. Please keep us posted, :)

Minimoog

Enlightened
I don't think I will be able to get it back now as it was either have it returned broken or no replacement. As A2's are borderline impossible to get in the UK I would not be able to fix it easily either. Anyway, will give me a chance to break open my new reserve A2 (also a black one) and this is as good as a time as any to use it - otherwise it is just malingering in its box isn't it?

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I don't consider it a wise move to open a new A2 in Black and "Use" it. What you have is a very rare and highly collectable piece.

Used A2's pop up on the marketplace here all the time. If you want an A2 for actual usage, personally, I would sell the Black A2, and buy 3 other Aviators with the funds.

You may want to consider searching around for other lots/sales where these Black A2's have been sold to get an idea on current value.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm aware the dual-stage tailcap is A2's weakest link, and that I've helped a friend ask SF for a replacement, which was honored. But that was some 8 months ago.

Just acquired a used mint A2 weeks ago and would like to have a spare tailcap handy, just in case. Can I still contact SF, explain the situation, and ask for a spare replacement?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
No way I would let Surefire keep an old black square body A2 for a new replacement light! Have them send you the old light back.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Today I got my replacement light. It's an EDCL2 and I am pleased with it. A successor to the A2 original for sure. My only small quibble is the way it flickers constantly a little bit on low, probably due to the driver circuit, but I am not sure if that is a fault or not. I'll ask on the proper thread.