SureFire A2 Aviator warranty still valid?

archimedes

Flashaholic

rrego

Enlightened
I recently had a "user" four flats HA "fixed" (replaced with a basically mint round body A2, but my old four flats tail cap (has dings/scratches).

I originally sent it in for chipped lens down to the o-ring, rattling regulator in the tube where it makes contact with the lamp, and non-working (I thought) tail cap. I think the tail cap was not working due to the rattling/loose regulator. The plastic retaining ring thing was very loose and I think that caused the intermittent connection problems.

I was a little bummed to not get my four flats back, but the round A2 is cool too :thumbsup:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone in CPF knows how to diagnose and repair the electronics inside the A2, whether it's the tailcap electronics or the actual driver inside the body?

Minimoog

Enlightened
Yes option 2 was selected - mainly because A2's just don't come up for sale in the UK even to rob parts from. It was a VERY tough decision and I did offer a couple of CPF members the same deal - my black A2 for a EDCL2 - but those are expensive too so of course nobody wants to shell out for a broken A2. Sad, but if I had of asked for it back I would still have had to pay for another A2.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Ebay and the Marketplace here are littered with A2's for sale all the time, at an affordable price. Is there an issue with ordering online?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought Surefire shipped international as long as it's not covered under ITAR? I know they have plenty of authorized dealers outside of the U.S. To bad about the A2-BK (Burger King edition) getting chopped. I'm sure plenty of folks would have offered enough to pay for one of their new models.

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another question: has anyone tried to disassemble the A2's tailcap for maintenance, or at least, tried to access the rubber boot from the top? The retainer ring is very tight and I have no luck unscrewing it (nose pliers slipped a few times despite having applied torque slowly).

The reason is that the boot concerned is too easy to get worn out, and I'd need to access it to see if it's the same boot as on the E2e (or otherwise) so that I can search for alternative replacements.

Can somebody please help?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ampdude Surefire do NOT send ANYTHING international and their distributors like Edgar Bros are a true pain. I was in the UK and even a Clicky mechanism had to stay in Arkansas for over 2 years because I couldn't get it sent over the pond.
If you have a significant warranty problem and send the product back they "sometimes" will fix it and either send direct or you have to go through their distributors but the product does get fixed. But you can't buy from US and have it sent internationally.
Regarding ITAR I think it's not so much for us little people but an effort to prevent criminals and terrorist from getting the good stuff that could be used against our soldiers.

@yazkaz
Best to send it to Surefire and they will fix it. Take it apart yourself and mess it up you ll have trouble getting them to repair it after

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
@yazkaz
Best to send it to Surefire and they will fix it. Take it apart yourself and mess it up you ll have trouble getting them to repair it after
No they won't. Instead they would send in a replacement (as long as stock lasts) but now it's highly possible these parts may be depleted. Will have to check with SF first...

Think I just solved my problem with the boot and retainer ring -- had to use a custom opening tool (previously designed for the E2e) to access both (nose pliers didn't help surprisingly). Once done it's all about cleaning and some reconditioning. That's all.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just another update. A day ago I contacted SF Tech Support to see if they still have any spare A2/A2L tailcaps left. Unfortunately NO more...

Here's the response:
"Items have been discontinued no longer available, stock is depleted."

What a bummer......

Looks like the only option would be to hunt for used tailcaps on eB in various beaten condition, with or without rubber boot/retainer ring....

scout24

Flashaholic
I tried getting an A2 tailcap and/or boot from them a month or two ago. No dice, depleted stock. The gentleman I spoke with was kind enough to give me a generous discount code to use on a future purchase, which was unexpected and appreciated.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried getting an A2 tailcap and/or boot from them a month or two ago. No dice, depleted stock. The gentleman I spoke with was kind enough to give me a generous discount code to use on a future purchase, which was unexpected and appreciated.
Guess SF ran out of most old model resources since this year...?

Last time I requested the A2 tailcap replacement was around late last September (early October) and the request was fulfilled within a week. But that tailcap is for my friend who suffered from one stuck in low mode.

And NO, you cannot just request for boot replacements but the entire tailcap assys instead. I had a similar encounter with my first Z58 some 10 years ago when the boot wore out and I was instead offered a new Z58 replacement that features newer internals, which I could not accept. In the end I chose to keep the old Z58 with the worn-out boot (which was since substituted with a different one for a different switch application inside the said host).

Meanwhile, discount code is generally appreciated, but that means you're to do a brand new purchase that serves no justice to your old light (esp. any A2 in need of service). Like I said before, the only alternative would be to browse thru eBay for used Z62s, and some even come without a rubber boot and retainer ring. Luckily substitute (third party) boot replacements will be available in a few months, while dedicated retainer tail shrouds are already available.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I expected this to happen eventually, and had purchased a few "parts lights" back when scratched up A2 were selling for cheap.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Me too. Plus bulb modules while they were still available.
Ended up using a Tads setup to preserve my Lumens Factory stash so I would (hopefully) never have to break into the SureFire stash.

Evidently there was a strong dislike for the white LED version because they were plentiful and inexpensive a couple of years ago.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Evidently there was a strong dislike for the white LED version because they were plentiful and inexpensive a couple of years ago.
Not me man. Was told those small white LEDs are more versatile for general illumination and that the colored ones would mess up the beam quality in high mode.

BTW for the record I use my A2 exclusively with LF's 319a tower (4000k 80CRI). The side white LEDs complement the beam profile well with no intrusion whatsoever. Can't imagine that if green/blue/red LEDs were present......

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like my purple beam'd white LED A2 just fine.

I bought a red one in case I become a pilot some day and a green one because it was an extremely inexpensive minty four flats.

At one point I bought a beater for parts for the day when SureFire said no more parts available. It ended up my user so that the better ones would be available later.

Last edited:

strideredc

Enlightened
Is there anyone out there that can repair/replace the regulator in these lights?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there anyone out there that can repair/replace the regulator in these lights?

a high quality pic of both sides of the board or better yet me with one in hand would help.
dont know if anyone has dismantled one recently but such an event should have pics taken at every stage.
if someone has a dead one to send i can likely figure it out.
my "day job" is repairing undocumented industrial stuff not intended for repair outside the mfr.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
...to see if they still have any spare A2/A2L tailcaps left...

Just to get some clarification: Will the A2L tailcap work on the A2 Aviator? I don't have an A2L, so I can't check this out.