Surefire Arc-2 HID

bulbmogul

Enlightened
The closer you can keep them to 20% of charge without going under, the better. The risk at 20% is in not checking them occasionally to charge them back up to 20% due to self-discharge. A 25% of charge, letting them self-discharge to 20%, re-charging to 25% would be near the ideal. But in the real world, anything under 50% is being nice to them.

Thanks and not sure exactly what % but I do leave them below 1/2 for sure at all times..

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Hey, don't need to feel bad despite the admonitions given, as VERY FEW people (including flashaholics) are aware of proper use and care of any type of battery chemistry. Many people buy extra battery pack(s)/cells because of anticipated obsolescence of custom made packs, or because at the time of purchase they anticipate longer practical single event usage time than what it turned out to be.

I can guarantee that every flashaholic has more Lithium Ion batteries than they need, and very few (if any who are being honest) take the time to drain them down to even 40-50%, let alone the ideal 30%, verifying with a DMM, keeping a light on with repeated DMM measurements just to drain to ideal level for long term storage. Then even fewer take the time to mark storage dates or when they put them in a freezer/refrigerator because when you need your light—having drained, frozen batteries just goes against human nature!

One easy habit is to mark the date of purchase with a sharpie when buying them. Li-Ion cells will still last a very long time even if not optimally cared for—just not as robustly as when new. I have some 25-30 year old Pila Li-Ion cells that still give a surprising performance in my custom halogen mag-lights. These old cells never even started with the current mAh storage capacities available as technology/improvements has changed. There's many sides of this issue. The important thing is to keep reading and learn as we all are doing. The battery section of this CPF Forum is awesome.

Well the battery pack for this unit is still very good with the amount of times it has been charged are very few.. Fired right up after being dormant for the last 5 months while overseas.. Yah they are back on the desk and still enjoy owning them...

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Back home in the USA after being gone almost 7 months again in Sri Lanka and appears the battery pack for this light is still holding up quite well after all these years setting on the shelf ..

bulbmogul

Enlightened
A7BD5908-9E0E-4336-9FE1-EE2708F7D3ED_1_105_c.jpeg