Surefire Cree L1 owners with issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Nice pics and thanks for sharing your experience. I am thinking of ordering right from SF myself. I believe the white dot on the light denotes the LED color (white, red, blue, etc.), as my E1L had a similar white dot on it.

SunStar

Enlightened
Has anyone developed a regulation curve for the new L1 on primaries vs. RCR?

Also, is the low level regulated or is it basically the same config as the previous L1?

ganled

Newly Enlightened
I received my surefire L1 last week. I've ran it for quite a while and it seems to be fine?

Out of curiosity:
If your light had problems, what was your serial number? I don't have mine on me right now but I do believe that it was in the mid 200s.

Have you noticed that the light stays really cool after a long run? Mine barely got warmed up after a continuous 15 minutes.

Have you noticed that the beam has a green tint and has artifacts around the outer edge of the hot spot?

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my L1 today and there does not seem to be any sign of the flickering problems. However, I have noticed that it does seem to have a green tint. A tint that is much more noticeable on low and is almost imperceptible on high. It is rather frustrating since since my other Cree lights (Fenix) do not exhibit this greenish tint. I know that LEDs are still very inconsistent in their color, but I wish Surefire would be more selective in the ones they choose for their lights.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my L1 today and there does not seem to be any sign of the flickering problems. However, I have noticed that it does seem to have a green tint. A tint that is much more noticeable on low and is almost imperceptible on high. It is rather frustrating since since my other Cree lights (Fenix) do not exhibit this greenish tint. I know that LEDs are still very inconsistent in their color, but I wish Surefire would be more selective in the ones they choose for their lights.

Lottery! My Fenix L2D has a very greenish tint but I still like it. E2L is slightly yellowish/greenish. L0D is white, maybe slightly blueish. And compared to all the others, the Wolf-Eyes I received this week is perfect white. In fact, this is the whitest LED I've ever seen. All are Cree lights. They cannot dump slight variations like this, the light will still be useful to you even with the greenish tint and after a few hours of use, you won't notice it anymore. Also, take note that Cree LEDs seems to have less variation than old Luxeon LEDs.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the response WildChild. As you say, I have noticed that the Crees seem to be much more consistent than the old Lux. It is for this very reason I thought that the L1 would be whiter. I also have an old KL1 head that exhibits that yellowish green tint. Evidently Surefire seems not mind using this temp. led. I am trying to get used to the tint and notice that my eyes do compensate for this when there are no other light sources around. However, when I turn on my Novatac or Fenix lights the L1 sticks out like a soar thumb. As I said it is not as noticeable on high but still present.

luminata

Enlightened
Got mine back after 6 weeks. They sent me a whole new light though I beggged them to keep the head of my original. They didn't , no surprise there. They had temporarily "lost " mine again hence the 6 weeks, unbelievable. They assure me "all have the same beam quality" well , not so. New one has Green tint on high and low/artifacts and ringy beam. also output on high is not as bright on this replacement either. There is significantly less "frost coating" on this one. Tested for 30 mins and no drop in output. I am not happy with the end result of this fiasco. These lights are absolute crap and not worth the money . there are so many other options out there. The Novatacs even with the 120p problems are still much more worth the money . The 85t is the way I should have gone. I hate this piece of junk and wont even be carrying it. $150 dollar paper weight. The crappy output/quality doesnt justify carrying as EDC.

Problem is now I have blown my alloted money I can afford to spend on flashlights for the year with so many other committments/responsiblities I can only dump the dinero into a "quality light " once a year . SF has lost it IMO. Will never waste another dollar on them.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Couldn't you call Surefire and request a refund? Maybe you could get your money back and spend it on a light that meets your needs. At the worst, I bet someone would snap it up on the for sale forums, especially since it's a brand new light.

Not trying to rub salt in a wound here, but I had to call their customer service (first time ever) about a week ago regarding a cracked beam filter and they were very professional and courteous. Impressive in this day and age, especially with the amount of overseas call centers.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem is now I have blown my alloted money I can afford to spend on flashlights for the year with so many other committments/responsiblities I can only dump the dinero into a "quality light " once a year . SF has lost it IMO. Will never waste another dollar on them.

eBay or BST. :rolleyes:

As for your "lesson learned", you said you had learned that lesson before you bought your L1 Cree. Hope it sticks this time.

luminata

Enlightened
I wouldnt dump this junk on any poor unsuspecting soul.

If I do ever have a moment of weakness with SF agin I know you Valpo will be there to keep me true to my word this time. I wish I had you next to me day and night to keep me on the straight true path of your wisdom and insight. God Bless all Valpos we would be lost without you.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine back after 6 weeks. They sent me a whole new light though I beggged them to keep the head of my original. They didn't , no surprise there. They had temporarily "lost " mine again hence the 6 weeks, unbelievable. They assure me "all have the same beam quality" well , not so. New one has Green tint on high and low/artifacts and ringy beam. also output on high is not as bright on this replacement either. There is significantly less "frost coating" on this one. Tested for 30 mins and no drop in output. I am not happy with the end result of this fiasco. These lights are absolute crap and not worth the money . there are so many other options out there. The Novatacs even with the 120p problems are still much more worth the money . The 85t is the way I should have gone. I hate this piece of junk and wont even be carrying it. $150 dollar paper weight. The crappy output/quality doesnt justify carrying as EDC.

Don't get stuck with something you don't like - demand a refund from SF or whoever you got it from. Then go get a Novatac or something off B/S/T from known members and you'll know ahead what you are getting. And if you get a Novatac you can expect fast and good service if there is any problem. I think SF has gotten so big they just aren't consistent in giving good service anymore OR the top management there is not doing a good job IMO.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldnt dump this junk on any poor unsuspecting soul.

If I do ever have a moment of weakness with SF agin I know you Valpo will be there to keep me true to my word this time. I wish I had you next to me day and night to keep me on the straight true path of your wisdom and insight. God Bless all Valpos we would be lost without you.

Your sarcasm is very subtle. :ironic: My gripe with your situation is that you said you knew better, but you bought a product from a manufacturer that you already had problems with, but then you were surprised when you got a light that didn't meet your expectations. Then you proceed to give us whiny updates about how bad everything is. Spare us. Finally, if your wish came true and I was next to you day and night, at least you wouldn't have so many run-on sentances.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just sell the light and quit whining about it already! :ohgeez:

uspopo

Newly Enlightened
I haven't been on CPF for awhile so I just ran into this thread. Took my new L1 and fired it up on high for about 2mins with no regulation problems. Yippee!!

Stan

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
uspopo, run your L1 for about 10 minutes then report back if you have issues, problems. This thread is about Surefire Cree L1 owner with issues, and you have not posted any issues. If you do have issues, then report them, but do not over report them, please. Also, Welcome to CPF.

Bill

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not including new L1's with no problems, what is the average time it takes for the flickering to start?

Gimmy

Newly Enlightened
uspopo, run your L1 for about 10 minutes then report back if you have issues, problems. This thread is about Surefire Cree L1 owner with issues, and you have not posted any issues. If you do have issues, then report them, but do not over report them, please. Also, Welcome to CPF.

Bill

Hi Bill

This is a rough way to welcome uspopo back isn't it? Many many posts on this 12 page thread and other threads are little off topic, I think it make reading it fun rather then just reading people complaining for 12 pages.

Gim

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Jimmy, yes you are right. Re-reading my post gives that impression. I had read, previously, a post from another person, a person who has complained, complained, complained in this thread, before I responded to uspopo, and I was not my usual diplomatic self. uspopo, I apologize. Did you recheck your L1, running it for five minutes or so?

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.