SureFire E-Series Addicts Unite!

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo's done a few (here and here - and a 3x123 L2). But you're right, he did have to shorten the internals of the head.

I can't find them now, but I've seen a few others post about making 2x123 L1's.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Crenshaw's was the one I was referring to needing the KX head with positive contact moved forward.

Milky did my 17500 old body right around the same time he made Crenshaw's light. He had just gotten a lathe & was still learning on it. The battery spacer in my 17500 body is only about 12mm long, so you would need another 22mm of length to fit two cr123's. I'd love to have one.

The one place I know you can get one is OpticsHQ - get an LX2!

I actually have an Aleph 17500 body (see post #20 - last picture, left side) and the McE2S switch (4 of them) and the only problem I have is that they need more force to activate then the L1 switches. Plus the L1 body is about perfectly knurled and a good diameter to grip. The Aleph bodies are thinner and only knurled in a small area (see post #20 again). not nearly as grippy, and the clip of the L1, while not a great clip (Needs to be LONGER SureFire!), IS a clip if you need it in a pinch, and provides anti-roll which I use a lot. Crenshaw's light rocks, but I want to be able to use all ten of my E-series compatible heads on it, not just the one head modified for it.

Maybe if I get a machinist to make the short E-series extension tube I have envisioned, I might as well make a few different lengths, such as the 22mm length to enable 2xcr123 L2's.

Last edited:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another SureFire E-Addict signing in. For me, the E2 is the perfect size and form factor for a flashlight. Was not crazy about the E1...until the KL1 heads were introduced. Now, all I "need" is an E3. Sadly, I dont' think SureFire will ever produce one. Woe is me.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Any issues with the forward-clickie being able to handle the high-output combo?

So far it's fine. I'll fine out in the long run I guess since it seems fairly difficult to find the twisty for these.... (was it a Z52?)

I've run it as long as about 5 minutes continuous already as this thing is quickly becoming my go-to for almost everything. The head sure does get hot fast though! wow....

Oh.. and it'll start "news"-paper smoking in 3 seconds flat.

-Eric

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So far it's fine. I'll find out in the long run I guess since it seems fairly difficult to find the twisty for these.... (was it a Z52?)

I've run it as long as about 5 minutes continuous already as this thing is quickly becoming my go-to for almost everything. The head sure does get hot fast though! wow....

Oh.. and it'll start "news"-paper smoking in 3 seconds flat.

-Eric

Thanks for the reply. :)

Yup, z52 is the designation for the E-series version of the good old z41 on the 6P. I aquired a z52 without first realizing it. Very nice, but a bit rock hard. It's nice knowing that when I convert one of my E2Es to use the same set-up you have, I'll be able to use the z52; and not even have a tiny bit of worry. I'm sure the z57 will be fine, but I just really prefer momentary / twist constant-on tailcaps.

Wasn't aware of the newspaper thing. Would you call it a miniature Mag623. (And should I wear shades)? :cool:

SolarMan

Newly Enlightened
I think mdocod needs a twisty ...

as long as he doesn't mind the burgundy flavour...

I just want to say that mdocod has been the source of info which enabled me to build the lights I have and use daily (and nightly!)

And I want to thank him!

(I'll PM you, Eric)

-Eric

Last edited:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I just wanted to provide links to the instances I mentioned of E series tailcaps failing after more than a few minutes of use with the IMR-E2. First was this post in which the spring lost its temper (no, not like :mad:), and then this post in which the failure was more complete. They can certainly work for a few minutes at a time, but I suggest adding solder braid to help that poor spring conduct the 2.25 Amps.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindasabat and Ictorana, thank you for the suggestions--will check them out. What I was hoping for, is a stock SureFire E3. (Trying to "decipher" the many modifications and/or SureFire lego options is way beyond me.)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
SF E3e with Turbo Head. Exterior is stock, interior modded by McGizmo :D :D :D

MCRedeye04.jpg

Here's the elusive HA-BK E-Series twisty:

E-SeriesHABKLOTC.jpg

And here another nice little gem ... the ICE head:

ICEBK1.jpg

E-Series rock.

bernie

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
We need for someone to come out with another 3 cell body with E compatibility on both ends, like the Blarog or UBH.
Always wished we'd see a 3x123 Aleph body...

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARC mania did a batch for his 15-3 project, but I don't think he (or TnC) made any extras.

IMG_3087.jpg

(picture borrowed from smokelaw)

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my E1E BK (HA?) and E2E Satin Gray.

A couple of observations: the finish on the BK E1E is great, and the switch is nice. A very nice looking little light; nicer than my HA E1E, I think. The lamp is bright (for its 15 lumens) but the bean has an imperfect hotspot, and lots of artifacts, particularly near the edges of the spillbeam. This may be a candidate for a TLS head, or one of the upcoming Malkoff bezels, if my incoming LF HO-E1A lamp doesn't substantially improve the beam quality.

In contrast the E2E in Satin Gray, is well...it ain't satin finished, and frankly, it ain't gray, either. Kind of nasty bluish-silver, except for the head, which is plain silver. And it feels, well, not so good. The knurling isn't nearly as well executed as that on my E1E HA or E1E BK. You can call this one the E2U(gly.) Give this finish option a miss, E-series fans.

But, that's why it's cheaper than the other two finish options. The switch, as would be expectd, is great, and the MN03 lamp is . BRIGHT! 60 lumens? This puts several of my 100+ lumen rated LED's to shame. The beam is also, like my first HA E1E, just about flawless (though the hotspot doesn't seem perfectly round, on a white wall, which is of absolutely no practical import.) This is going to be my beater incan. High quality, just the right size, reliable, bright, great beam, but looks like @)*$, frankly. With the MN02 lamp, should be a great camping light. Though now I see a need for a nice E2E, HA or BK.

I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

auxcoastie

Newly Enlightened
THis is a perfectly timed thread.

I had 9 Surefires at my peak but due to needing money to fund the honey moon I dumped all of my P60 hosts and am just left with my E-series.

I used to carry a E1L as my EDC but when the E1B came out it became my EDC. I had a e2D but replaced it with an L4.

I think that the executive series are the perfect lights for regular users. E1b fits perfectly in my pocket and the L4 is perfect for doing vessel checks and other tasks due to its size.

The only thing I need to figure out is do I get a KX2C head to upgrade the old 100 lumen head or do I buy a P60 host? I cant really see buying another G2ZL when I don't carry a duty belt.

E-series = perfect.

phxccw

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at picking up a E1E Executive Elite for $55...good deal? And if so, what's the first thing I need to do to pump lumens?

paintballdad

Enlightened
I'm looking at picking up a E1E Executive Elite for $55...good deal? And if so, what's the first thing I need to do to pump lumens?

Would you mind sharing where you can get this deal? And is it the HA or HABK? Thanks.