SureFire E-Series Addicts Unite!

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
A sublime purchasing decision, bykfixer. And if you can find one of these:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?168327-(5th-Run)-E2e-Bi-Pin-socket , you can run a Streamlight Strion bulb off of a 16650 cell (I assume these fit in an E2E), or a Streamlight TL-3 bulb off of 2x16340 cells. Those Streamlight bulbs are not as common as they used to be, but when you can find them, they are still more economical than the Lumens Factory lamp assemblies. I mean no disrespect towards Lumens Factory; I revere their continued support of SF incan lights.

I have a couple of E2x incans. With my current selection, even though I don't use them often enough, they are definitely keepers. The E2O Outdoorsman will take a 17670 cell without any internal re-dimensioning, although these days the 16650 has more storage capacity.

1pt21

Enlightened
My first incan E.

Definitely not my last.

This one has the original bulb. I ordered some modules from Lumens Factory to preserve the original while I study up on these babies. This one will remain pretty stock since it was my first.

Oh, at some point I'll pick up another E to play around with. No big numbers or fancy parts n pieces will be sought. Just a pants pocket carry friendly deal with a couple hundred lumens and longer run time.

A mighty fine acquisition indeed my friend! You're first incan E series?!?! Well you sure are full of surprises, but a heck of a first in my book :thumbsup:..

I like your decision to keep it running on 2x123 primaries with some LF bulbs. This light with the LF bulb will put a smile on your face, that I can guarantee!

The mods out there and lego possibilities are strong with this one, but knowing you (and us few remaining incan lovers out there), you will be more than happy with your decision. Enjoy it, I look forward to the various red brick wall and backyard comparison beamshots that are sure to come ;)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Novice, I have some Strion bulbs. Since I own a couple of them I bought a few thinking the supply would dry up some day. And after trying some different types of bulbs in a bi-pin Mag 3 cell ML25 with low output 18650's for fuel I picked the TL3 bulb over others tried for the beam. As time passes I'll probably end up with a Tad's bulb holder. Thanks for the tip(s).

1pt, I never really got SureFire fever beyond a bunch of G2's (of various platforms) and 6P's. Not long ago I scored some nice A2's including the 4 flats version. I looked into onion rings and all sorts of bulb variations but ended up stashing some oem bulb modules and that was that.
Regarding the E, I can see what all the excitement is about. Between some Vital Gear stuff, a Fox Fury PK-1 and a Vital Gear adapter I'm already well under way with lego parts (including an E/Scout tape switch to PKDL PR-1 adapter prototype). Yet I'm not all studied up on the multiple versions of the E series. I suppose an incan E1 will be added at some point and perhaps a more pocket friendly version of the E2 at some point.
My light collection varies so widely that I just haven't added SureFire stuff in anything beyond small steps.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Good that you invested in A2 bulbs. They last forever to me it seems. As js notes in excellent A2 thread:

"Seriously, though, a lot has gone into making the MA02, above and beyond the lamp itself, which is a very nice high pressure xenon lamp with enough halogen added to it to slow the rate of tungsten deposition on the glass, but not enough that the pressure would need to be lowered in order to prevent corrosion of the filament and support wires."

Bill

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Invested... man you aint kidding. It took a bit of effort and geez they were pricey.

The bulbs for the E aren't hard to find and I'll scoop up a couple along the way. I'll use the Lumens Factory ones first though and will probably grab some LF bulbs for the A2's as well.

I like the A2's ok, but man-o-man I dig that E2D.

UVvis

Enlightened
X77XyrA.jpg

ningenmodoki

Newly Enlightened
I'm a climber.
I need a headlamp.

Love the "e" lights cause they fit in the fenix head band perfectly!
95895c0e31bc0b2fd60bd70ada80388f.jpg

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
ningenmodoki,
Thank you so much for this tip! I was unaware of this headband option. I am going to get one!

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
These lights are so cool. Got to mess around with a friends a few weeks back. If they could run 2xAA I would be trying to find one myself. I had my Malkoff MDC 2aa with me and completely forgot that he two lights could Lego together so wasn't able to try that out.
My first incan E.
IMG_20171029_120316.jpg

IMG_20171029_120013.jpg

Definitely not my last.

This one has the original bulb. I ordered some modules from Lumens Factory to preserve the original while I study up on these babies. This one will remain pretty stock since it was my first.

Oh, at some point I'll pick up another E to play around with. No big numbers or fancy parts n pieces will be sought. Just a pants pocket carry friendly deal with a couple hundred lumens and longer run time.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Man these things are addictive.

Since I got the first one I scored an HA E2E with a twisty an olive green one with a clicky and just won an E2E HA with a clicky. All stock so far but...

I also scored an E2D LED body for use with my incan D stuff and have contacted Tana about a SingLED.

Wanted the 2way clip for EDC purposes and thought "hmmmm LED drop in, LED body? Yeah, why not?"

When the family has all arrived I'll do a group photo.

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened
Not all Surefire but E-series base...

M61N running on 2xAA

jVFPw93.jpg

Hmm, this is inspiration to my similar build posted on the previous page some posts back. I'm not very happy with the way my M31 is making contact with the LF E-to-C adapter and SolarForce head combo. Requires quite a bit of folded aluminum foil or copper wrap for proper contact/heat sinking. I do also like to smaller, more pocket friendly head.

I do have a couple of those Malkoff (VME?) heads sitting on un-used lights that I can sacrifice. I KNOW that will make a perfect contact for the M31 (it was, after all designed for M series drop-ins) LOL..

How is the M61N on 2xAA's? Are they alkaline? Any idea of runtime?

Malkoff lists the operating voltage of the M61N at a minimum of 3.4v before it drops out of regulation, which is why I ask. I waited a long, long time to find a used Malkoff M3xx drop-in to avoid any issues in my light which is running 2x AA Eneloops with the ability to run 2xAA alkaline in an emergency situation.

Thanks for any info!!! And thanks for the idea!!!

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know the runtime but other members have run m61s successfully with two aa or nimh for 'hours' since the drop in came out.

Solarforce hosts are two big for malkoff's in my opinion likely because of the bore diameter of the tube. Additionally, for some e series bodies that's been bored to fit larger cells won't make proper contact with the drop in since the negative end of the module is close to 18mm in diameter.

Good luck!

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome, thank you! Are those e2l aa bodies hard to come by? Looks like it could be a good contender as a replacement body for my 2aa Malkoff MDC. Love the light but tis a bit slick without any knurling. QUOTE=euroken;5151761]FYI

HnR01pH.jpg

SMLvUhJ.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Latest posts