SureFire E-Series Addicts Unite!

Munkel

Newly Enlightened
Curious how Surefire E1 heads will handle 18350 or 18500 batteries, will it fry the head eventually or cause battery problems? Really liking an SF E1B head I have with a fivemega 18350 body.....

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious how Surefire E1 heads will handle 18350 or 18500 batteries, will it fry the head eventually or cause battery problems? Really liking an SF E1B head I have with a fivemega 18350 body.....

QDSWphS_d.webp

This is an E1. Incan. Any secondary Li-ion would fry the MN01 lamp. I'm not certain the E1e is identical inside, but it's also incan and came with an MN01. Lumens Factory makes other lamps for E that take Li-ion, and so did Tad Customs before withdrawing. E1L and E1B are LED, and iirc they're also primary 3V only. Mark @ LumensFactory also sells replicas of 3 types of the LED heads Surefire once made, I believe with various color temperatures available, some with modes, and they will accept primary or secondary Li-ion, one or two cell heads available. Check out the one with fins (KL1 replica).

Munkel

Newly Enlightened
QDSWphS_d.webp

This is an E1. Incan. Any secondary Li-ion would fry the MN01 lamp. I'm not certain the E1e is identical inside, but it's also incan and came with an MN01. Lumens Factory makes other lamps for E that take Li-ion, and so did Tad Customs before withdrawing. E1L and E1B are LED, and iirc they're also primary 3V only. Mark @ LumensFactory also sells replicas of 3 types of the LED heads Surefire once made, I believe with various color temperatures available, some with modes, and they will accept primary or secondary Li-ion, one or two cell heads available. Check out the one with fins (KL1 replica).
Yes, I should have specified newer E1B MV Backup head, I do have a few of the LF heads as well, like them a lot. Thanks!

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
We'd be nowhere without Mark, that is for sure. Probably within the next 3 purchases, I will succumb to a 3 mode 3.7-9V KL1 HA flat w/ Cree XP-L WW 90CRI. I wonder if Mark can remove the memory for me. 3 modes always starting in low are really cool, because you can go back and forth between low and medium. I doubt he can, because of the design, but it would also be awesome with an OP reflector rather than TIR.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I should have specified newer E1B MV Backup head, I do have a few of the LF heads as well, like them a lot. Thanks!
The newer E1B MV will handle 3.7v li-ion 16340 and other sized 3.7v batteries. I've tested this and no change in brightness from LED. I had also emailed Surefire and had asked if it can handle the voltage and they said yes. The E1D, E1B, EB1, and newer one cell lights are secretly duel fuel, they don't actually specify it because they market their lights as dependable and make money off their CR123s.

Munkel

Newly Enlightened
The newer E1B MV will handle 3.7v li-ion 16340 and other sized 3.7v batteries. I've tested this and no change in brightness from LED. I had also emailed Surefire and had asked if it can handle the voltage and they said yes. The E1D, E1B, EB1, and newer one cell lights are secretly duel fuel, they don't actually specify it because they market their lights as dependable and make money off their CR123s.
Thank you, one of these days I need to talk you into a picture of a MDC Bodyguard V2 head on a E1 body if you have that, which I am guessing you do. :ROFLMAO:

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have that head, not anymore. It would look like this without the SS crenelated bezel, one of my favorite Lego combos. Here is my post of the bodyguard V2 beamshot Here
784E1581-42E6-4823-B275-CF63239D94B2.jpeg
F149F818-8F19-4ECF-81CD-845B18DB14CC.png

Last edited:

Munkel

Newly Enlightened
OK, pretty sure my next head for an E1 will be a Malkoff BGv2 but what other awesome heads do ya'll like? I tend to prefer single mode, or at least a head that always comes on in high. Looking for something with some more throw than the SF E1BMV head I have. I have 2-3 from LF that are all pretty floody as well. High output and crenelations a plus. Maybe an E2D LED Defender 1000lm head, wonder how that would handle an 18350 battery?

I may have to sell off some of my LF heads, tails and bodies to fund a Malkoff head though. I've found I REALLY like the Malkoff tri-tail and fivemega bodies best. :ROFLMAO:

IMG_5284.jpg

Megalamuffin

Enlightened

Did surefire tell you the E1D and EB1 can handle 3.7v, or did you find out by trying it? I use a 3.7v in my e1b mv and it's been doing fine, but I'm hesitant to try my E1D and eb1 since they'd be harder to replace if it fried them.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the head says KE1 you are safe. So the E1D is safe to use. I'm not 100% on the older EB1 as the stock output is also much lower. I would email Surefire and just ask to be safe. I've heard people running 3.7v 16340 in the EB1 and it working but I'm not sure on long term if that higher voltage will jeopardize that LED or not

michaex

Enlightened
E1D uses KE1D-A head - unless you meant just first three characters? E1L-A uses KE1.

I have never heard of SF confirming that rcr123 can be used in any of cr123 lights :)

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1D uses KE1D-A head - unless you meant just first three characters? E1L-A uses KE1.

I have never heard of SF confirming that rcr123 can be used in any of cr123 lights :)
Yes if it has the first 3 letters of KE1 it can safely run an RCR123 3.7v.

Surefire has confirmed with me when I asked in an email if my E1D Defender can safely use a 3.7v 16340 they said "yes"