Surefire Kroma Check In!

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Anyone have a Surefire Kroma? I have one and keep it on the nightstand next to the bed, mostly to check on what the cats have done to the desert house now.

The other night I took it outside to see if it is functioning properly, and I really like this light, Surefire did a great job on this one. I love the levels, and the shower head design for the red and blue LED's, the levels are just right, and the high on the white is very useful even after all these years.

Just thought I would see who else has one and their thoughts on it compared to present the day.

Overall, it is still a very useful light, and is one of the most fun to use. This is one I plan on keeping for sure.

That's all for now.

All the best,

RedLED

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are talking about the Surefire Kroma, I prefer the Surefire Kroma MILSPEC. I have both versions of the MILSPEC, the one with ~40 Lumens and the improved version with ~130 Lumens.
I have the 40 Lumens version since a decade or so on my Nightstand and often I also take this light with me when I am on vacation.
The good thing with the Kroma MILSPEC is if you select the color (red / green blue) than the white color is disabled. That is the fact I do not like on the normal Kroma. (I also have 2 normal Surefire Kroma).

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if my user name is any indication...🙂 (I took it right off the label on the box!) I actually don't own one currently, but they are great lights! My first "real" flashlight!

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I've owned two, an older standard Kroma and a newer Mil-Spec Kroma with the new 140 lumen LED. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

The older standard Kroma has the advantage of the two stage tailcap allowing you to instantly hit the high beam when using any of the low modes. Disadvantage is that the standard Kroma is only available in the old 50 lumen LED.

The Mil-spec's biggest advantage IMO is the yellow green LED's. They are wonderful for those late night trips to the bathroom, and their color rendering is much better than one would expect for being yellow green. The main thing I disliked about the Mil-spec is the two stage tailcap will not allow you to hit the high beam when using a colored mode.

They are super cool, innovative flashlights. But they are a but impractical as well. The large bezel also made pocket carry difficult.

Lumen83

Enlightened
I have three. My favorite light of all time. One is modded with a modern 700 lumen LED and made to accept 18650s. What a light that one is! I use it in the field during Search and Rescue operations, for hunting, and on the boat. The other two are stock. The first one is my bedstand light. The low red is perfect for retaining my night adapted vision and not disturbing anyone else while roaming around in the middle of the night. I've had that one since around the time they first came out. It was my first real flashlight. It is very worn and shows its age cosmetically but is in perfect working condition. It has been all around the US with me and has serviced me well from finding the bathroom in las vegas hotel rooms to lighting up camp on backpacking trips in the Rockies. My third one is a safe queen that I keep just in case something happens to one of the other two. I want to have a Kroma for life.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I know it's an old thread, but there's not a lot of chatter about the Surefire Kroma. A number of years ago I picked up one along with a U2. My main focus was the U2, which I'd mistakenly thought was the later version that would take 18650 cells... and it did not. It has the newer LED. Anyway, the Kroma was a real curiosity. Definitely not the MilSpec version. But wow, build quality on it is excellent. I popped a 16650 cell in it and worked with no issues. I'd really like to upgrade the LED, but I fear it may be too complex to do with this light. Lumen83, what LED did you use to achieve 700 lumens in your Kroma?