Surefire KX4 head led swap

jamie.91

Enlightened
Hey cpf!

I've searched and searched but I can't find much info on the KX4 head at all:/

I received mine today from a member on the MP :thumbsup: (it's just got dark:D)

Seen as its rated for 2-3 cell lights (3-6v) I was sceptical weather it would work on a single lithium but it does :)

I'm building my self a shortie/3P type surefire and I decided to try the L60 body but it needs boring out to take a P60 drop in, so when I saw the kx4 I thought I'd give it a whirl for the price of it and it works a treat! I'm not sure if I'm getting full brightness or not but it works:)

My main problem is the tint:( it's got a purple'ish tint to it. Now would I be wrong if i guessed it is being under driven from the single AW17500 causing the tint shift or should it be regulated and not make a difference?

On a side note the beam pattern is one of the best I've seen for a while and I do love the head as it is but it would be nicer to lose the purple'ish tint.

Like I say I've searched but not found much at all. I was also wondering if a 6p bezel would fit it and a UCL lense?

Thanks for any info
Jamie

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
I believe I remember someone had a thread where they had sucessfuly swapped emitters. This mod is on my short list, like you said the beam profile is near perfect. I think an xpg2, nichia or xml2 woul be great in a kx4. Anyone else?

yearnslow

Enlightened
Probably not much use, but I have a C2L with a KX4 head. It's rated at 120 lumens at 6v. I believe it can put out more lumens if attached to a C3 or similar. I have never run the KX4 on one CR123, but I would imagine there would be tint problems.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might send a PM to vinhnguyen and ask him for his suggestions. He's done quite a few mods lately, so I'm sure he could at least point you in the right direction.