Surefire M3

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a pretty early example. Had this on the way and was wondering what to do with it... I guess maybe dismantling the head to try and get a D36 in it is inadvisable.

Serial # A00180

sj9x1.jpg

Link to a slightly larger bigger version: http://i.imgur.com/AscXN.jpg

Whoa! How much ya want for it? Man, that is one awesome specimen. Seriously, if you ever want to try an do anything to that to "upgrade it", shoot me a PM first...that thing is way too nice to mess up! That's only the second one of those styles I've seen. Mine's S/N A00308...sigh...Nice Light!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Z-Tab thank you for posting that!!! Perhaps I am wrong then.. or possibly, the second from the left bezel was on the first hundred lights or so.. or they mixed and matched on the early lights. I will keep an eye on this, but I thought that in addition to ones I've already seen, I saw just the other day an Ebay auction with with one that had a second from the left bezel style, and a lower serial number than mine. I can't seem to find the auction now. Very nice light here's mine next to a couple of round body C3's and a round body C2, it's serial 1471, the Surefire crosshair logo is outlined in white, otherwise it is basically the same as yours. The C2 and M3 both have Laser Products marked tailcaps. I have the box and papers for the M3 as well.

I love that early golden anodizing, I wish they still did it!

lights.jpg

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woah! Z-Tab I've been searching for one of those M3's for a longgggg time!

If you wanna sell it let me know :D

Illum

Flashaholic
I've tried the M3, figured I needed more throw so I've opted for a Seraph P7 as my M3 head. For the ease of pocketing and the balance between throw and spill though, the M3 form factor can't be beat, except probably the L6.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
In the spirit of community, I traded it to angelofwar for something that I will be able to actually use. I doubt that M3 is going to spend much time on camping trips.

The anodizing really is way nicer than current lights.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats angelofwar!

You're a lucky bugger! :thumbsup:

Thanks DRB! Yeah, Z-Tab was a great guy to deal with...these guys in CA seem to have more access to these classic SF's. But, I;m that way about somethings as well...I can have something really nice (besides a flashlight), but if it doesn't mean that much to me, I'll trade it or or sell it to get what I can use/need more. He'll be "at home" with his brothers in my Peli-Case, I'm sure. Wanna see what a new one looks like with a new KL2-Head. The KL23 head i got a few weeks ago looks outta place on my old beat-up M3. Thanks again, Z-Tab! If I run across another DRB though, I'll be sure to send ya a PM.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got it, Z-Tab! Thanks a bunch! Just to show you that it's in good hands, here's a pic of it with it's other relic cousin, a mint L6...

HPIM1800.jpg

And in bed with his "older" siblings, mint 3-Flats C3, mint L2, mint 2rd Gen E2L w/ KL1...unfortunately, the M6 may soon be joining the "museum" piece collection...

HPIM1802.jpg

Thanks again Z-Tab...it's in good hands! Enjoy your new light!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my M3 and my M6, :thumbsup:

Welcome to CPF Green Bean! Enjoy them while you can! Unfortunately it looks like all there Millenium Series incans are on the chopping...a sad day for M3/Incan lovers alike. Iwas considering selling my M6, but no more. Hopefully I'll get my 2nd gen M3 here in the next week or two, giving me a 1st, 2nd, 4th gen M3. Now I just need a 3rd gen. I really love the feel of these light...great sense of heft and just awesome to hold. Glad I got a new one, so I can free up one to be a user and actually EDC this bad boy! Next stop is to stock up on MN10's...

Mike Docherty

Newly Enlightened
My M3 has the 2nd bezel from the left. I used this as a police duty light for many years so it's not in great cosmetic shape. At some point I melted the non removable lexan lens. Replacement lenses, like those on the old 6P's were never available, so Surefire sent me a whole replacement bezel which I use to this day. I still have the old bezel. I was wondering if there might be a way to replace that lens, even if some extensive customizing is needed.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
My M3 has the 2nd bezel from the left. I used this as a police duty light for many years so it's not in great cosmetic shape. At some point I melted the non removable lexan lens. Replacement lenses, like those on the old 6P's were never available, so Surefire sent me a whole replacement bezel which I use to this day. I still have the old bezel. I was wondering if there might be a way to replace that lens, even if some extensive customizing is needed.

AFAIK there is... Just not sure which model it is. Check out the LAPG sale...they have several lens kits on there.

Mike Docherty

Newly Enlightened
No such luck. They have the Z30 (8X) and Z19 (6P) lenses. I have been told by Surefire and other sources that there is no replacement lens for this, but I would love to be proven wrong. I can't imagine that it would be difficult to have someone cut a piece of Lexan to the proper size, but I've never found a source.

You can't even get a current production Pyrex lens. I am the Armorer for a medium size police department that uses Surefire dedicated handguard rifle lights on M4's. We have broken two Pyrex lenses and Surefire just sends us replacement bezels. This seems like a waste of money to me.

Flashlightlens.com won't make UCL's unless someone is willing to order a boatload of them.

If anyone has any possible leads, i would appreciate the info.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
No such luck. They have the Z30 (8X) and Z19 (6P) lenses. I have been told by Surefire and other sources that there is no replacement lens for this, but I would love to be proven wrong. I can't imagine that it would be difficult to have someone cut a piece of Lexan to the proper size, but I've never found a source.

You can't even get a current production Pyrex lens. I am the Armorer for a medium size police department that uses Surefire dedicated handguard rifle lights on M4's. We have broken two Pyrex lenses and Surefire just sends us replacement bezels. This seems like a waste of money to me.

Flashlightlens.com won't make UCL's unless someone is willing to order a boatload of them.

If anyone has any possible leads, i would appreciate the info.

Maybe CPF could come together and order some??? It definitely seems like a waste with the newer bezels even more so, since all you have to do is remove a ring, and not "pop" the bezel out like you had too back then.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I liked the ergonomics of the M3 so much that I've bought another one. I think I'm going to keep this as a pure incan set-up for the time being.

I'm planning on getting a couple of spare lamps while they're still readily available. Is anybody making new lamps for these besides Lumens Factory? Mine is 18mm bored, so I'd like to try one of their 500 lumen IMR bulbs.