Surefire M3

Lucky Jim

Newly Enlightened
I got one of the LF tower modules. As you say, it is an XP-G2. It's good but not that bright. I prefer my Malkoff MD60 which has a higher output.

Lucky Jim

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm - I can no longer see the MD60 on the Malkoff website. In the past there have been messages saying when these drop-ins have been out of stock but now they seem to have disappeared! I hope Gene is still making them. Makes me wish I'd picked up a couple more. Anyway, I suggest that you e-mail Gene via his website and ask.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm - I can no longer see the MD60 on the Malkoff website. In the past there have been messages saying when these drop-ins have been out of stock but now they seem to have disappeared! I hope Gene is still making them. Makes me wish I'd picked up a couple more. Anyway, I suggest that you e-mail Gene via his website and ask.

Sadly, to my shock and horror since I finally got a millenium turbohead for my M3, I got an email from Gene. MD10 and MD60 are discontinued.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Sadly, to my shock and horror since I finally got a millenium turbohead for my M3, I got an email from Gene. MD10 and MD60 are discontinued.

No loss. The MD60 I had had a horribly blue-purple tint to it. It was bright, but ugh. I'd rather 125 lumens of beautiful Surefire goodness.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Finally swapped out the MN10 in my daily use M3 for a new bulb. Not because the bulb blew, but the glass had gotten too dark. MN10's are still all over eb*y.

Still using this great light every day.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally swapped out the MN10 in my daily use M3 for a new bulb. Not because the bulb blew, but the glass had gotten too dark. MN10's are still all over eb*y.

Still using this great light every day.

Did you notice a tangible difference in the output?

Rat6P

Enlightened
Has any one tried the newest xpl 1.5 amp driven M3 LEDs?
I have the xpg versions and they are extremely well made however the output was not what I wanted......still comparable with the old mn10 though with awesome run time.

The newer xpl versions boast 800 led lumens. Anyone with personal experience with these?

I should add I am talking about the lumens factory towers.

Last edited:

Rat6P

Enlightened
I guess not.......so I went ahead and ordered an M3 warmtint 90cri xpl module to see for myself

Up All Night

Enlightened
I would agree, the LF XP-G towers for the M3 left me wanting more as well, still decent though. I really haven't kept an eye on LF since Lighthound went dark.
More than interested to hear what you think of the XP-L! Thanks!

I Do still enjoy the MN10 bulb on a couple of 17500 batteries, . . . . .and the MN11 on two 17670 batts is awesome, if you can get your head around using an extender. No boring for me!

Love the M3! :rock:

Illum

Flashaholic
My M3 is currently headless. I coupled the M3 head to a Solarforce L2 via a lumen factory C to M adapter and then a 1xcr123A extension. Presto, 2x18650+MN10.... hours of fun without burning cash.

Rat6P

Enlightened
I would be interested in your opinion once you receive and test it. Regards.

M3 XPL warm tint LF module.

Finally arrived. Initial observations.

More of a yellow tint than the xpg2 version.
Definitely brighter. I would be comfortable saying it is at least 500 lumens OTF.
Hot spot is not as nice as the xpg2, much bigger, throws as far but I feel it could be focused more so it throws further and takes advantage of the extra lumens.
I don't know if this is due to the xpl led or if the module was tuned this way.

Haven't had much opportunity to take it outside yet.....hopefully in the next week or so....in a rural, bush setting, where the warm tint is most suited for I think. Will see if I can grab a pic or two.

I think my next purchase will be the new millennium adaptor from malkoff that lets you run malkoff p60 dropins.......wallet needs to recover first