Surefire P91 with WIDE BEAM & KILLER THROW!?

Scotty007

Newly Enlightened
I have one thats a really wide beam and i dont think they are supposed to be that way...i played with a couple other P91s ( i work for a SF distributor) and they are all tightly focused...so is the P90 that came with the light! and so is the P90 on the 9p from the display at work...is this supposed to be? im kinda saving it cause i dont want to use it up if its rare or something so i put the P90 back in my light...please, anyone have an opinion on this?

BSBG

Enlightened
I have an older P91 that is much floodier (is that a word?) than the newer one I have.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the newer P91's, but my P91 from a couple of years ago is a wall of light. It throws pretty good for that size reflector, but it definitely has a wide beam. I like mine a lot.

Scotty007

Newly Enlightened
AH! thats what it is then....and come to think of it...it is 2 years old, wow! thanks alot guys, now i just need to find out if its possible to order an old P91 and hope its floody....because i like that alot better than the newer ones! :twothumbs:clap:

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I remember hearing that the P91 does not have much more throw then the P90, just a wider hot spot. Have they changed that recently? Lumens factory bulbs might be better as they are just as bright and can have more throw.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Everybody who has ever described a P91 on here has described it as huge oval wall of light. Not sure where you would have seen a P91 that's focused any differently... Maybe SF changed something?

It's very difficult to get a high power lamp (larger filament structure) to focus into any sort of tight beam when you are dealing with a 1 inch textured reflector.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everybody who has ever described a P91 on here has described it as huge oval wall of light. Not sure where you would have seen a P91 that's focused any differently... Maybe SF changed something?

It's very difficult to get a high power lamp (larger filament structure) to focus into any sort of tight beam when you are dealing with a 1 inch textured reflector.

I think you are on to something, (I keep learning every day) this has been proven to me in my last beamshots (in my signature) all the bulbs in the FM G4 D26 reflector could not be focused any more than what you see. Perhaps this is why the FM1794 narrow bulb has a brighter centre spot than the WA1111.........but in the FM Prince and the Mag with their bigger reflectors, the WA1111 performs great.