Surefire Tactitian Pocket Clip Modification

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hey everyone!

I know a lot of people, including myself, absolutely love the Surefire Tactician. However, I also know that many, including myself, wish it had the option for bezel down carry.

Like a few others that I have seen by searching for a solution, I tried to put a regular Surefire two way clip on my Tactician; the 1 cell clip fit snug, but was too short, and the 2 cell clip was the right length, but was too loose and rattled around.

I emailed Surefire directly, and they said that an option would be to use the 2 cell clip, even though it is loose, but warned that the loose clip could damage the attachment point on the light.

Here is a solution I came up with to stop the clip from rattling around:

1. The materials

-Tactician light

-2 way clip
-Electrical tape
-Leatherman Wave
PL7bbDb.jpg

2. Remove the head of the Tactician, then the O ring, then the clip.
wgvmNLz.jpg

3. Cut a piece of tape slightly larger than the attachment point of the clip. Arrange the clip to one side of the tape.

8Hxzwhd.jpg

4. Fold the extra tape over one of the "wings" on the clip (I chose the right side). Trim the excess with a small scissors (I used the Wave scissors). I tried folding tape over both "wings," but it was too thick to fit back into the light.

sNO9Wdk.jpg

5. Carefully slide the clip into place. Some tape will bunch up, but it still worked for me. I may redo it later to see if I can get it straighter.

2lROh9i.jpg

6. Use a small knife or razor (I used a box cutter razor) to trim the excess tape.

PPTZixu.jpg

7. Reassemble the light.
WFrrIA5.jpg

8. Enjoy!
orfb7Av.jpg

ZjNJQYQ.jpg

As previously mentioned, this job could have been cleaner had I allowed myself more time. I may try it again tomorrow after work to get it a little straighter, but in all reality, once everything is put together, I can't even tell that the tape is crooked.

I may also try to make a little insert out of thin kydex to stabilize the clip. I will report back if I do.

I hope you all find this useful! Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions! I will report back how it carries tomorrow.

Thanks!

Last edited:

rrego

Enlightened
After getting some LF two way clips, I have the old clips with the little plastic insert that goes under the clip. I wonder if this platic insert would work for this also(?), if we have E2E or Aviator or...? I don't have a Tactician, but would like to pick one up in the future and slap a two-way clip on it.

Nephron44

Enlightened
After getting some LF two way clips, I have the old clips with the little plastic insert that goes under the clip. I wonder if this platic insert would work for this also(?), if we have E2E or Aviator or...? I don't have a Tactician, but would like to pick one up in the future and slap a two-way clip on it.

I'm not sure what the little plastic piece does as I have never had one, but the issue on the Tactician isn't so much up and down play as it is side to side.

tonywalker23

Newly Enlightened
That makes the $89 price at Amazon even more attractive :)

Wish all lights were bezel down.

Nephron44

Enlightened
So I carried the Tactician with my mod throughout the day. It feels much more solid, but still wiggles slightly. After work today I took it all apart and carefully put tape on both "wings" of the clip, and then carefully re-inserted the clip as to not bunch up the tape.

It is now rock solid and working perfectly!

tonywalker23

Newly Enlightened
That is a really good deal. Quite tempting.

On a side note, are those R.L. Allen bibles on your roll top desk? :twothumbs

At first I wondered how you knew about my Bibles, then I realized my website in my signature has the desk photo as my banner... :)

Yes, that pic is of a few of my other lights... the written Light :) If you check out my youtube channel at youtube.com/tonywalker23 you can see most of the RL Allan Bibles that I have, as well as lots of Surefire videos. Regretabbly, I have sold most of my lights and I now regret it. The only light you will see in the videos that I still have is my EB1 body/E1D head lego. I really regret getting rid of my E1L. REALLY regret that one. Would like to get a new Defender and the little eb1-mv. But most of the stuff in those videos I got by selling something to get something else. And now nothing much left to sell.
Regarding the RL Allans, I have a study bible that I use. At church I use the Longprimer when speaking to the teens (usually) and in smaller settings I use the clarendon. I have a 5WM but have used it less and less in public. Now, I usually use the margins for recording notes like for example: see WJEv16pg135 or whatever. My current favorite use is a Crossway heirloom thinline brown goatskin and a schuyler brown journal. But because of the version debate, I dont use it in public at church.)

glad to meet another flashaholic that is also a bibliophile !!! too bad our hobbies are so expensive :)