Tell Us What Do You Use Your HeadLamp For?

Dukester2

Newly Enlightened
I use my Headlamp for looking over my tractor trailer before hitting the road. Just got my HC30 and it works out great for this application. It is replacing an older Zebralight which in my opinion was too floody and cast too many shadows...

Warhorse

Newly Enlightened
I wear my streamlight headlamp when doing plumbing repair work around the house.

wytstang

Newly Enlightened
I use mine for those uber early fishing trips and or early morning oil changes. Seems like I use my headlamp more then my hand held units.

K92589

Newly Enlightened
I use for fishing, hunting, biking, and around the house projects. Also use it at night for forest treks.

KCL Knives

Newly Enlightened
During the cold months I use a headlamp almost every day. I heat my house with wood and it is dark by the time I get home from work. The headlamp provides hands free light making it easy to get wood from out back. Headlamps also get used for hiking and camping. I have also used them for doing electrical work and construction in places where there is no electricity. The bottom line is that headlamps are a very versatile and needed form of illumination for me.

rje58

Enlightened
I use my headlamps around the house, sometimes indoors and more often outdoors. Use them for camping and backpacking. But by far my favorite use is night hiking! As much as I love to hike during the day, it's even more fun at night!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely! I haven't had a chance to go on one this winter yet, but I'm sure I'll go take one soon and my headlamp will get a ton of use!

The_Whale

Newly Enlightened
I use my cheap Home Depot Defiant AAA headlamp every day to walk to and from work in the dark.

I just started using a headlamp for walking and it's been a revelation.

I plan on getting something better, but I first need to learn what my requirements are and what's out there; I think a single AA light might work but I'm not certain yet.

The_Whale

Newly Enlightened
I use my cheap Home Depot Defiant AAA headlamp every day to walk to and from work in the dark.

I just started using a headlamp for walking and it's been a revelation.

I plan on getting something better, but I first need to learn what my requirements are and what's out there; I think a single AA light might work but I'm not certain yet.

I used my headlamp Saturday night for a 14 mile walk in the dark. The headlamp was turned on for about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time; only when the external lighting was insufficient and/or I deemed it necessary to turn the light on so I was more visible. I must have turned it on/off 20 times total.

My equipment; cheap Home Depot Defiant brand 3 AAA headlamp, using (even cheaper) Harbor Freight brand rechargeable batteries.

A 3 AAA headlamp puts out more light than necessary for walking. In fact; the hotspot is, just barely, annoying (my headlamp only has one output level). The light may have begun to dim a bit by the end, but if it did, it didn't dim much. It seems the cheapo rechargable AAA's have sufficient capacity for my purposes, especially if/when I get a headlamp with different output levels.

For my purposes it's possible/probable a single AA, would have sufficient capacity if it were in a quality headlamp (or handheld with a clip for attaching to the bill of a cap).

Tactical Buck

Newly Enlightened
My more mundane use revolves around household tasks - swapping out garbage disposals and plumbing under the sink and doing work with small objects such as moving knife pocket clips around. More exciting usage comes during hikes with alpine starts; I've used headlamps for predawn approaches on both Longs Peak up to the Boulder Field when I ascended the Keyhole and more recently, on the John Muir Trail approach to Half Dome.

Glow808

Newly Enlightened
General purpose around the house.

Hiking & walks around the parks to work off Christmas dinner!

Checking the river with the recent heavy rain & flooding possibly reaching my house....

Just a handy useful tool freeing up both hands to get on with doing the tasks in any situations.

Trevor3553

Newly Enlightened
I currently use mine for working on my car, night time activities, and insulating my attic (way bigger of a job than I expected!).
However, right before spring I'm planning on running away from everything and travelling across Canada very slowly, and pitching a tent every night, so I know my headlamp will DEFINITELY come in handy then. I will probably upgrade to a better headlamp before I leave.

mickb

Enlightened
I do flyin/flyout work in the 3rd world. Headlamp is always nearby for power outages or moving around at night. Also recreationally as backup to my primary light during camping/backpacking.

_gm_

Newly Enlightened
I have a beater Coast that I use when working on/under my car. It is all scratched up and dirty/greasy now, but sooo much better than trying to prop a work light under there.

Otherwise, I have a BD that I use for camping and other general outdoors things.

Cheers,
Gus

markr6

Flashaholic
Been using my H52w a lot lately working on my jeep. I spent hours and hours trying to find the source of a vibrating sound coming from the front passenger side. Sounds like a loose piece of plastic or something from the outside. It's NOT the fender or wheel well liner, so I'm out of ideas. It is driving me insane!

biga8u

Newly Enlightened
Have 2 Black Diamond "Spot" headlamps (130 lumen). One is for work - electrician. The other for work around house, on vehicles & camping or hiking etc.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been using my H52w a lot lately working on my jeep. I spent hours and hours trying to find the source of a vibrating sound coming from the front passenger side. Sounds like a loose piece of plastic or something from the outside. It's NOT the fender or wheel well liner, so I'm out of ideas. It is driving me insane!

That sounds sort of like when I recently discovered that the muffler heat shield fell down on my Jeep and was clanging around on top of the muffler. But maybe that's too far back.

I often use my headlamp when shoveling snow, mostly so passing vehicles see me. I'll probably end up doing that again this weekend. Stay safe if you're involved in the blizzard!