TerraLUX Maxstar5 K2 5W U BIN LED for Maglite**Got mine Today**

SuperTorch

Enlightened
well I'm sure the melting is/was related to direct contact of the stock plastic refletor. 3 fresh alks would be at 4.75-5.0v but not for long thats why I though 4.8 in NiMh MIGHT be ok but didn't really know. All this may be moot when I get my Cree in my TaskForce with new Cree optics. I've spent $100 on my Mag set up and just don't have much to show for it(YET) it'll be ready when a Cree Dropn in arrives though.

mhubble

Enlightened
SUPER TORCH and ENGRPAUL, When did you get you HS REFLECTOR from 5MEGA and how was it shipped. UPS or US POSTAL? I still dont have mine and Im starting to get concerned. Thanks

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Yesterday for me, FC USPS, he never gave me a tracking number but it had one if he wanted too, mine was shiped on the 13th. I have been waiting on 4.5v/3AA to D converters for 8 days now and only got to play with my MaxStar5 for 2 nights(I returned a 4D mag for a 2D) I emailed the owner found out he lives in HongKong and its usually 2 weeks from there I may not have it till after Xmas. Bummer.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
mhubble said:
SUPER TORCH and ENGRPAUL, When did you get you HS REFLECTOR from 5MEGA and how was it shipped. UPS or US POSTAL? I still dont have mine and Im starting to get concerned. Thanks

USPS, ordered it 12/10 and got it 12/16. From Glendale CA to Pennsylvania, first class with delivery confirmation. Good luck

Mike L.

Newly Enlightened
I got my Maxstar5 today (a little behind the curve here, I know). I've put in in one of my 2D Maglites. This particular Mag is running a 4AA into 1D converter (or whatever it's called) from the Shoppe and a D dummy cell. It seems to be working ok so far on alkalines. I have some AA lithiums I can use if the alkies run out of steam. So far 2 hrs and I see no loss of brightness. Of course I don't expect C or D cell run times, but I already had the 4AA into D from another project and I thought "Why not?"
What would be nice would be to put this in one of those custom cutdown 1D Mag bodies I've seen. If I could get one cheap (hint) I think I'd have a pretty good light for the truck glovebox.
Can't wait 'till it gets dark to take it outside and compare vs 2D Magled and 3D Mag stoked with 4C cells.
This is really exciting for a newbie non-soldering modder.

--Mike

SuperTorch

Enlightened
I finally got my 3AA/4.5v to D converters in and I have 2 in my 2D so the MaxStar5 thinks I'm running 6 weak D's. Anyway nice and bright and now I can move to the new NiMhs that hold a charge. With these alkalines I should be good for 5hrs of full brightness at minimum. Now I'm on to re-drilling the FiveMega reflector to 10/16 for a Cree mod later on. EngrPaul, you said you removed a low value resitor from your TLE-DB3 do you still have it and what do you think it might fit the MAxStar5 and allow it to go 1000mA for the Cree you have on it. I like the new Cree based Semi Luxeon form factor LED's as they seem to hold their light when heated very well, they look perfect to sit on top of a TLE-DB3 host or MaxStar5 host but I'd want to push them to 1000mA for sure. Well anyway finally have the MaxStar5 in a portable 2D Mag.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
SuperTorch said:
EngrPaul, you said you removed a low value resitor from your TLE-DB3 do you still have it and what do you think it might fit the MAxStar5 and allow it to go 1000mA for the Cree you have on it. I like the new Cree based Semi Luxeon form factor LED's as they seem to hold their light when heated very well, they look perfect to sit on top of a TLE-DB3 host or MaxStar5 host but I'd want to push them to 1000mA for sure. Well anyway finally have the MaxStar5 in a portable 2D Mag.

SuperTorch,

The resistor I took out of the TLE-DB3 was a 0.47 ohm resistor in direct series with the emitter (current limiting), INSTEAD of a regulated driver. I will probably be replacing resistor, and dropping a SSC-P4 instead of the the K2 I took off of the MaxStar 5. Perhaps the resistor I use will be 0.33 ohm.

I have decided that I want to put a SSC-P4 emitter on my MaxStar5 instead of the Cree currently there. The lack of focus/spot/throw with the Cree is a little dissappointing.

The reason I want to avoid approaching 1 A through these new emitters (Cree XR-E / SSC P4) is that there is not enough heat sink in the stock Mag to drive them at the absolute maximum current.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Well I know the Heatsinking on the MAgs are lame, but i thought Newbie posted a link in your Done with mod thread that showed even once heated up the SSC-P4 held true to advertised specs which kinda shocked them but maybe that was with a killer heat sink. I know the MAxStar5 has regulation but with in that set up there(I thought) would be a basic resistor also(the one they increased when it was melting reflectors), so the MaxStar5 was ment to be a 1000mA regulated host and I thought maybe all it needs is a resistor that would allow up to 1000mA and then the regulation does its magic to keep it there. Since the TLE-DB3 was designed to go about 750-1000mA I thought that resistor may be a nice swap out for one in the MaxStar5 puting it back to its original output. I'm a total newbie and all this is just guess work but we know the MaxStar5 is only puting out 3.5 watts on a 6.5 watt capable LED and thats been specualted because the heat was melting the Mag reflectors. I doubt they would redesign the whole thing to reduce heat as opposed to just puting in a resistor. I too will be doing the SSC-P4 mod for the MaxStar5 and maybe a TLE-DB3 host, it really looks like a winner for a drop in Mag LED and it won't be to long (6 months) before they are in the retail market like at Diamond and Teralux because if they build it we will come.

PS: 390mA on 6AA cells and 535mA on 4D exact same a mhubble

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
PREDICTION

I have the feeling these will sell like hotcakes once people find out how easy it is to swap the emitter to a Seoul Semiconductor P4, which should focus as well as the K2 (unlike the cree).

(1) Using desolder wick, unsolder K2 leads.

(2) Gently pry with a small screwdriver, K2 pops off easy.

(3) Scrape off excess epoxy without scraping through the anodizing (this electrical insulation will be needed since the base is +)

(4) Thermal epoxy down P4 emitter, with leads at solder locations. ("Pat Pend" side is Anode/+) Get-R-Centered :)

(5) After epoxy cures, solder each lead.

Enjoy mucho lumenos (without the heat)

SuperTorch

Enlightened
I think the MaxStar5 was a great attempt at a killer drop in, the reflector issue just burned all involved so to speak. If TerraLux made a new version based around Cree w/ added reflector or a Seoul P4 I'd be first inline even though I wasn't happy with the way the MaxStar5 turned out. A regulated Mag is the way to go and at as bright as possible and I think next time they'll nail it, they nailed the regulation in the MaxStar5. I think by midyear hopefully sooner well see the next round of Mag dropins. The current needs to be 700mA+ imo or your leaving good lumens on the table. Can't wait to see your Seoul P4 mod thoughts, btw I put a Cree XR-E P3 in my TaskForce 3W 2C and its very bright, however the X-Lamp Optic that I got with it doesn't work really at all, I thought it was supposed to fit but the beam is just crazy looking and my old Luxeon 3 optic does better with the Cree than the one sent with it. Too bad since it puting out 2.5x the lumens, I now have a lensless ulta flood light, but I do want to see the Luxeon Optic on a Seoul P4 they may just be close enough to do well. Waiting on Seoul P4's to be sold on a Star.

Last edited:

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
Indeed, I recieved the K2 and it was quite disappointing... but I have read that the 4D mags and up are what the optimal settings for this module are. I currently run the K2 in my 3D mag... rather than buying another 4D mag at homedepot for around $22, I was thinking about getting some kind of AA-to-D conversion kit. Hopefully something that would safely pump out the lumens as the 4 to 6 D mags while retaining a rechargeable feature, since the Maha C-9000 seems to be the end-all-be-all of smart chargers (for now anyways).

That Seoul P4 emitter sounds good, as for heat management, how about using these heatsinks, this reflector, and this lens (either this, or borofloat)?

Quite hefty for a mag; maybe a mag85 is not too far...

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one. In 4D MagLite, the brightness is the same as with 3W MagLED module in a 4D unit. I thought maybe it's because I am using half-discharged NiMH cells. Put fresh Alkalines in, the same thing.
Then I compared it in a 4D MagLite with a 2D MagLite 3W and again, no perceived different in brightness.

The only advantage that I do see is that this module supposedly stays bright while MagLED dims after 10 minutes.

I wonder how it performs in a 5D or 6D (or C) light.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are the pictures of results I described in post #130.

The MaxStar5 is the Red module, the Black on is unregulated and for 3 cells only.

I highly recommend this drop-in, because it's the easiest chassis to upgrade when a new emitter comes out, and because it's regulated for constant output.

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the fun of it, I put the stock bulb back into the 3D Mag. After the pictures, I had to double-check the batteries were OK, and they were.

IMG_0743.jpg

Spot Focus
IMG_0739.jpg

Spot Focus -2 stops
IMG_0740.jpg

Full Flood
IMG_0742.jpg

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally decided to try one, it arrived today I installed it into a brand new3D M@G.
Although 3 Cell does not do much justice for the 5 K2 Drop in as would 4 or 5 cells,
I am quite happy with it as its only intended to be used around the house and the occasional dog walk, It has a nice white beam with a very tight hotspot also its runs much cooler with 3 Cells as compared to 4 Cells but not nearly as bright. I will keep it at 3 Cells as the Mag has a poor thermal path though the Plastic pedestal and base to the body.

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
My 3D MagLED was dropped to concrete from 4 feet. The UCL was cracked at the outer edge and the MagLED emitter broke off the module. Everything appears to be fine. The fins are in good condition, and everything else inside looks to be in working order. I think only the thermal epoxy gave out, but I'm hesitant to put it back in... after all, there are better emitters out there :devil:

So is it possible or recommended to put something else like a Cree or Seoul emitter in there? I'm not sure if the MagLED module is regulated or semi-regulated... Too bad I wasn't carrying my other 3D mag with the K2 instead. :ironic: EngrPaul's idea looks like a good setup. :thumbsup:

sshark

Newly Enlightened
EngrPaul,

Is the black module in the photo is a 3W TerraLux TLE-DB3? You mentioned unregulated, has it been modded?

From the photos, it looked there is not much of different between a K2 and the DB3 for a 3D Mag. Is DB3 good enough for a 3D Mag?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
sshark said:
EngrPaul,

Is the black module in the photo is a 3W TerraLux TLE-DB3? You mentioned unregulated, has it been modded?

From the photos, it looked there is not much of different between a K2 and the DB3 for a 3D Mag. Is DB3 good enough for a 3D Mag?

It's a TLE-DB3. It's unregulated when it's new. The K2 is regulated. Yes, the DB3 is "good enough" for a 3D Mag.