Test/Review of Charger Xtar VC4

HKJ

Flashaholic
But you tested Xtar VC4 only one month after Panasonic BQ-CC16.

My testing and publishing is not always synchronized, I do usual have a few reviews as backup. These review may lay around for many months, to be used when I do not have anything else ready.

I do also have multiple cells to test with (4xXX, 4xPro, 4xPowerex, 8xEneloop). I have replaced the Eneloop earlier this year, but the other cells are a bit older.

ven

Flashaholic
The poweradd 2.1A socket had no problems charging an iPad at full rate, so it seems that the VC4 is really fussy about the USB power source.

+1 All my plugs that i have tried are rated 5v 2.1a , admittedly they might not meet their rating and allow enough juice to flow through!

Have you tried holding the button for 1.5s to switch off/on ? When my vc4 is in use(rotation with other chargers) it is only used during the day,powered off at night when i go to bed. However when its used again it does have the display on right from powering on and through the charge.

Necromncr

Newly Enlightened
My testing and publishing is not always synchronized, I do usual have a few reviews as backup. These review may lay around for many months, to be used when I do not have anything else ready.

I do also have multiple cells to test with (4xXX, 4xPro, 4xPowerex, 8xEneloop). I have replaced the Eneloop earlier this year, but the other cells are a bit older.
Got it!

Thanks

HKJ

Flashaholic

The bulk of my testing is with (white) eneloops, but I try to include some other cells. The problem is getting common cells that are not eneloop based, generally I do only expect a test set to last for between one and two years. If anybody has good ideas for (common) test cells or even wish to donate (I am fairly limited in what brands I can get locally) a 4 pack of cells I am always listening.

Xiphex

Newly Enlightened
I was browsing though the NCIX website and found a StarTech 'USB to 5.5mm' cable. Link

Yay, Spares! one for my USB iBoost 10 port charge station on desk & one for the car, Original cable keep for emergency.

keithy

Enlightened
I've just had my VC4 miss termination on two NiMHs while I was charging a set of four Duracell 1700mAh batteries.

Slot 1 was showing finished at 2200mAh, and slot 3 was 2700mAh and still charging. The other two in slots 2+4 were around 1750mAh/1800mAh. The battery in slot 3 that was still charging was hot when I pulled it out.

The batteries are the green/black Duracell Accu Rechargeables bought around 2011/2012.

Is there a reason the VC4 missed termination on these two?

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased this charger to go with my two VC2 Plus Master chargers; I use a Anker PowerPort 5 which can handle up to 5 usb connections at 2.1 amps. I can charge up 8 18650's while just using one wall plug outlet.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! What a thread! It seems the VC4's are all over the place in how they charge from unit to unit? I have had my VC4 for a few months now and yes it would start to drop voltage and lag really slowly especially with 3 or more cells in it. Then one day I decided to NOT plug the VC4 into the Xtar wal wart but into my Verizon 5 volt 2.4amp travel charger. The Verizon unit is meant for something called "lightening"? Anyways the VC4 now has zero lag whatsoever. I have not seen the voltage meter drop below 1 amp or half an amp for 3 or more cells at all using this Verizon wall wart. Was going to buy another VC4 and another Verizon "lightening" USB wall wart. Ever since I switched USB adapters to the Verizon unit the VC4 seems to charge more accurately either that or its just wishful thinking. Still the Verizon unit was like giving the VC4 race gas I love it

paubin

Newly Enlightened
I was just looking into this charger and with your review it has helped me make the decision. Thank you for your time!

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi HKJ,

both the VC4 and Lii-500 don't do delta-V termination but:

a) VC4 terminates at about 1.52v

b) Lii-500 terminates at about 1.47v

but which one is better in the REAL WORLD? assuming the nimh cells aren't new. maybe 100 cycles in them

HKJ

Flashaholic
but which one is better in the REAL WORLD? assuming the nimh cells aren't new. maybe 100 cycles in them

If you do voltage termination the lower value is safer, but needs to be followed by a top-off charge to fill the batteries. There is also another problem: voltage termination will vary slightly with temperature.
With eneloop 1.52 volt works fine, but some other cells may have problems.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do voltage termination the lower value is safer, but needs to be followed by a top-off charge to fill the batteries. There is also another problem: voltage termination will vary slightly with temperature.
With eneloop 1.52 volt works fine, but some other cells may have problems.

thanks. they just can't get these things right:

BT-C3100 uses 2+ amp pulses. otherwise great

Lii-500 no delta-V, no top-off. otherwise great

VC4. limited by USB power. no delta-v. otherwise great

why isn't there a really good charger LOL

CanoeBeyond

Newly Enlightened
I joined to post some time sensitive information on the VC4 charger that I thought would be some benefit to users (my experiences and a link to a flash sale (still active at this point)). Registering here is relatively difficult but I've gotten a lot of good information here. Thought I would do some payback for the service. My 2 posts are still not showing up though and I haven't received any feedback from admins. Wondering?

Thanks/Ed

CanoeBeyond

Newly Enlightened
For some reason my 3rd post showed up but not my first 2 posts with my impressions of the VC4 versus my other chargers. Hopefully they'll show up soon. Here's the flash deal I found and purchased my VC4. It's still valid at this point (actually $16.68 now):

http://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_160440.html?wid=2

Only valid at the US warehouse it seems. Just ordered another one at that price for a gift.

CanoeBeyond

Newly Enlightened
Sorry guys, somehow my first two posts must have been lost in "approval heaven" and the sale appears to be over. At least I think I'm able to post normally now so if I see this deal again I'll post it.

OriginalStevenH

Newly Enlightened
12238249_10204076527073269_8654364048561904874_o.jpg
12244630_10204076527353276_875205703811565466_o.jpg
photo.php
Ok. So I'm really confused at this point... I own 1 Nitecore I4 2 Nite Core D4 and I just got the Xtar VC4. I really like the VC4 because it allows me to charge the C and D batteries. I've noticed first off that the C batteries Tenergy LSD 4000mah weren't being charged fully in the D4 or the I4. I didn't think there was a problem with the AA/AAA and 18650's. Now I'm really confused. I took some LSD AmazonBasic Blacks High capacity AA's I just charged about 2 days ago and tested them in the charger. I was shocked to see that it was not fully charged. almost 700mah and then several other batteries I tested are showing not fully charged... although the Lithium ion's are charged with only 40mah give or take after the nitecore D4 has charged it completely... So do I have a defective charger? or what? these are brand new batteries and I trust that since the AmazonBasic High capacity batteries are equivalent if not the same as the 2nd gen Eneloopxx. just see the pictures...

photo.php

HKJ

Flashaholic
It is very difficult to detect a full NiMH battery, this means some chargers need up to 30 minutes to detect it. During that time they will be charging the cell.

CanoeBeyond

Newly Enlightened
Here's another VC4 sale from an e-mail I received:

http://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_160440.html

Then apply this code in your shopping cart: "VC4EM". The price should be $21.59 shipped (from China). Enjoy.

Edit: If nobody cares about these sales, let me know and I won't bother to post them. The VC4 is so far the best charger I've used (more than a few) and thought some might be interested.

Last edited: