Test/review of Nitecore SC4

HKJ

Flashaholic
LdDrew;5147083Is there a way I can test this and give you all the info to see if it is fixed or not. Or does this require any additional equipment. I have a volt meter. DM25 unsure what make.[/QUOTE said:
No you not need any equipment, just four empty batteries of the same type.
Put them in an let them charger fully, I got silly readings like:

Display shows: 3299mAh 55mOhm 4:21, 201mAh 55mOhm 4:10, 68mAh 56mOhm 4:18, 66mAh 43mOhm 4:09

You can see all batteries needed a bit over 4 hours to charger, but 3 of them got very little charge according to the charger.

LdDrew

Newly Enlightened
No you not need any equipment, just four empty batteries of the same type.
Put them in an let them charger fully, I got silly readings like:

Display shows: 3299mAh 55mOhm 4:21, 201mAh 55mOhm 4:10, 68mAh 56mOhm 4:18, 66mAh 43mOhm 4:09

You can see all batteries needed a bit over 4 hours to charger, but 3 of them got very little charge according to the charger.

OK I will give that and go. First of all need to empty them.
When it comes to charging these batteries which current should it be. To see if I get the same results

david57strat

Enlightened
Just out of curiosity I've contacted NitecoreUSA to ask if there have been any updates to this charger and will follow up here if anyone is interested in their response.
I'd be interested in this charger if/when the issues are resolved.

I'd be very interested in hearing any updates you receive, regarding this issue. I have four of these units, and they all have the same issue. Still love the units, and use them daily. I just wish the mAh readings were more accurate :|

Thanks!
I

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

robo21

Enlightened
I've got mine, it's crud. It's very noisey. Sounds like an old Spectrum Sinclair loading a game up.

18650 Batteries seen to terminate at 4.14v and Eneloops at 1.40v.

The MaH reading is futile but to be fair the charger doesn't get as hot as the D4 EU.

I've got a few little shocks off it too and a spark. Never had that before in 25 years of owning chargers.

I am baffled by your comments KG: "It's crud. It's very noisey [sic]." :confused: "18650 Terminate at 4.14V????" huh? :confused:

"Shocks?" "Sparks?" D4 = Hot? :confused:

I am stumped, to be fair I only received my copy of the Nitecore SC4 yesterday. I used it to charge 8 of the Optronic protected, 3400 mAh, 18650s immediately. (And today 6 10440's) The charger was cool to the touch throughout the entire process as were the batteries during the charging and upon completion. They finished at 4.20 just as they have always done with the D4. My "new" D4 is not an EU but it has never been hot charging anything. I am wondering what I am missing here. Is my charger from another planet?

And noise? What noise? My SC4 is silent - stone silent - am I missing a fan? Maybe my unit should have a fan inside and doesn't or the fan isn't working? What kind of noise? I have a Tenergy NiMH charger that has a fan and makes a lot of noise, but I have never heard any sounds from either of my two Nitecore chargers...

Please help me figure this out. I just received 6 new Demonfire 600 mAh, 10440's from Amazon and topped them off on both the SC4 and the D4 in about 30 minutes. Granted they were only about half discharged and they are low capacity compared to larger cells but I am pleased with the results. Also very pleased with the results charging the 18650's.

As for the overall Test/Review of the Nitecore SC4 HKJ you have written a beautiful review with impressive tests and photos. I just don't understand why my results are so different. Software revision? Firmware update? I am baffled. I read the review before I opened the package from Amazon. I was ready to just ship the charger back without even trying it based on the review and some of the posts. I had even started looking for an alternative charger. Now I don't know what to do. My tests so far seem exemplary. The charger is fast, quiet - silent in fact, cool, efficient. The only negative I have found so far is the frustrating difficulty in loading the small 10440s. If you don't line them up perfectly they go launching out of the charger like out of a slingshot.

Again, I don't get it. So far it seems like a sturdy, well built and excellent charger. But after reading all of this contrary information I will put this charger through the wringer. I will try to duplicate the negative reports and return if necessary.

HKJ

Flashaholic
And noise? What noise? My SC4 is silent - stone silent - am I missing a fan?

The noise is a "chirping" from the switching supply when the charger is idle.

HKJ you have written a beautiful review with impressive tests and photos. I just don't understand why my results are so different

Termination voltage depends on many factors and the high termination current will not affect new batteries very much. It may also be because the charger terminates a bit above 4.20V, then the batteries will end at 4.20V after they have dropped.

Software revision? Firmware update?

I would expect the problem I saw with capacity display is fixed now with a software update and maybe they have also changed other stuff.

tripplec

Enlightened
Maybe the UK 220VAC PS and the USA 115VAC power supplies run it differently. Noise etc.

There is no reason for Nitecore to have left it like that for production. Its not their first charger and reflects on their reputation. The I4 & D4 were a decent all round charge for any newbie to get the job done without much fiddling with buttons etc. It just works. But for this....very bad form to market it like that.

Hold off buying until the release a official version change to the model that reflect the fixes. Thats what I would suggest.

robo21

Enlightened
Maybe the UK 220VAC PS and the USA 115VAC power supplies run it differently. Noise etc.

There is no reason for Nitecore to have left it like that for production. Its not their first charger and reflects on their reputation. The I4 & D4 were a decent all round charge for any newbie to get the job done without much fiddling with buttons etc. It just works. But for this....very bad form to market it like that.

Hold off buying until the release a official version change to the model that reflect the fixes. Thats what I would suggest.

Bingo! I think you are on target, my USA version must be the answer for both the SCR 4 and the "New" D4. No chirping, no sparking, no heat. For several years the D4 worked flawlessly. However, I recently decided I wanted to upgrade to a faster, more capable charger. Thanks for the reply.

The noise is a "chirping" from the switching supply when the charger is idle.

Termination voltage depends on many factors and the high termination current will not affect new batteries very much. It may also be because the charger terminates a bit above 4.20V, then the batteries will end at 4.20V after they have dropped.

I would expect the problem I saw with capacity display is fixed now with a software update and maybe they have also changed other stuff.

Thanks for the explanation and thank you again for this detailed review. Apparently, there are some differences in my charger and your sample. I am not seeing some of the issues reported here in my charger+, (e.g. heating issues, noise, etc.) Or it could be that it might take time for those issues to surface.

Whatever the case the CPF community is fortunate to receive your contributions of these excellent and detailed reviews.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Accidentally discovered a weird firmware bug. While charging 4 18650 batteries for storage (LiFePO4 setting — 3.6V max) I have noticed that the slot #3 does not update indication: its current, capacity, time numbers stay zeroed all the time. At the same time a battery in this slot still being charged normally.

If I switch to Li-Ion (4.2V max) charging mode everything is OK.

Nisei

Newly Enlightened
So, almost 2 years later and Nitecore is still selling this without fixing the issues?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore SC4 is a little quirky, and it has some bugs, but it's still my favorite all-purpose charger. I just ignore the capacity measurements, though I think slot 1 always gives the right reading.