The first LED flashlight to break the 400K Lux mark

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, we're anxious to see & read all the details when you are ready to share more. I just realized that you are shooting the Sachse water tower, I'm in Wylie. I'll have to keep a closer eye on the sky to see your progress.......I can see it now "No honey, that's not a storm brewing.....it's just Saabluster working on the new Deft" :eek:
I don't mind taking you out for a showing if you'd like. You just can't look down the business end.

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
I'm betting there is some "apparent die size" trickery, err, encapsulation goodness going on here. Either way, good job Sir! Now go break 1/2 a million lux!

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh saabluster you just got the attention of my Blitz 84W HID, I was smoking the Maxabeam at 1/2mi last Photonfest, now I gotta watch out for a single LED coming out of karlthev or sledhead or mendhammarsh's pocket (I think there were 3 DEFTs at PF14 and 2 maxabeams)
Please don't sell these!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
... good job Sir! Now go break 1/2 a million lux!
Actually I hope to break 3 million before this time next year. Seriously.

Oh saabluster you just got the attention of my Blitz 84W HID, I was smoking the Maxabeam at 1/2mi last Photonfest, now I gotta watch out for a single LED coming out of karlthev or sledhead or mendhammarsh's pocket (I think there were 3 DEFTs at PF14 and 2 maxabeams)
Please don't sell these!
I don't think you should be scared just yet. That said it is not if it is when.:nana:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Hmmm .... If the current isn't ridiculously high, then it must be due to the apparent die size being made smaller.

De-doming, re-encapsulation with silicon and perhaps use of secondary optics such as lenses/mirrors.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is XR-E cooled with peltier to sub-zero temperature and driven with 4A :sssh:

h22

Newly Enlightened
I really do wish it was that easy. :mecry: Go easy on me.

:D All in good fun! I am glad you are still pushing the envelope, even if you just do it for yourself. I totally understand how much work it is to offer ANYTHING to the public, let alone a custom high performance piece.

It would be very cool though if you were willing to offer advice to current DEFT owners on how to upgrade their DEFTs.

Nice work! that really is getting up there with the HIDs.

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
Actually I hope to break 3 million before this time next year. Seriously.

Ooook then :D

Theoretically guessing, if you only had 32.5mm of lens (M2 Surefire bezel) to work with, how many lux do you think might be possible with this new advancement?

h22

Newly Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/269598&page=7

Me thinks this is how it's done,.... it also explains the lack of details provided :D

If this is the new magic, i would be very tight lipped as well if for nothing else than a hoard of blood sucking lawyers ready to pounce, not to mention my own personal ethics. :shakehead.

Like Mike, this has me excited.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be very cool though if you were willing to offer advice to current DEFT owners on how to upgrade their DEFTs.
In this case it involves IP concerns. Not trying to be coy.

Nice work! that really is getting up there with the HIDs.
The normal DEFT was already competing with HIDs many times its size. Have you seen this thread? Look at the size and power of those lights and how well the DEFT did. Quite remarkable.

Ooook then :D

Theoretically guessing, if you only had 32.5mm of lens (M2 Surefire bezel) to work with, how many lux do you think might be possible with this new advancement?
Without putting much thought into this at all(too many variables) I would guess you should be able to match or exceed the performance of the current DEFT.

easilyled

Flashaholic
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/269598&page=7

Me thinks this is how it's done,.... it also explains the lack of details provided :D

If this is the new magic, i would be very tight lipped as well if for nothing else than a hoard of blood sucking lawyers ready to pounce, not to mention my own personal ethics. :shakehead.

Like Mike, this has me excited.

Ah! You might be on to something there. I totally forgot about that thread.

However, the sample collar that saabluster obtained, resulted in a 58% increase in surface brightness, where as the throw figures he has listed have increased by 300%!!

Therefore, there must be some other factor/s involved too.

Almost certainly increased current with very good heatsinking in addition to use of the collar. Perhaps dedoming and re-encapsulation too?

Its certainly quite intriguing. :)

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Multiple LED's that project on top of each other....employing some kind of mirror, lens, or prism set-up? Or just multiple heads. I have a Tiablo A9 lens Aspheric that does over 120,000 lux on 1.4 Amps. 4 of them together aren't much bigger than DEFT. That would yield nearly 500K lux. I can envision a light that has rearward facing LED's that are arranged in a circle. They all reflect onto a central mirror at the back and then are aligned in path as they reflect forward and out the Aspheric lens. I simply don't think 3,000,000 lux is possible with a single emitter. I think that kinda gives the secret away. Has to be more than one emitter.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Multiple LED's that project on top of each other....employing some kind of mirror, lens, or prism set-up? Or just multiple heads. I have a Tiablo A9 lens Aspheric that does over 120,000 lux on 1.4 Amps. 4 of them together aren't much bigger than DEFT. That would yield nearly 500K lux. I can envision a light that has rearward facing LED's that are arranged in a circle. They all reflect onto a central mirror at the back and then are aligned in path as they reflect forward and out the Aspheric lens. I simply don't think 3,000,000 lux is possible with a single emitter. I think that kinda gives the secret away. Has to be more than one emitter.

Don't confuse future revelations with what we have here. Two different things. Imagine what could be done with a rear facing LED and a reflector the size of the big spotlights. LEDs have been criticized for not beating the best HIDs but when was the last time you saw one that was as large as them as well? 3,000,000 is possible today with only one emitter.