The first LED flashlight to break the 400K Lux mark

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saabluster, this is absolutely crazy! I was not expecting these kind of numbers from something the size of the DEFT at all. This is very exciting to see that this is possible and I hope you keep us informed of your progress. You are the throw master!:devil:

Out of curiousity, what kind of lux would Ra's Maxablaster put out at 1 or 5 meters? Do you believe that it is really going to be possible to get close to the throw of that beast with an LED at some point? And in something smaller than a 9" diameter host?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saabluster, this is absolutely crazy! I was not expecting these kind of numbers from something the size of the DEFT at all. This is very exciting to see that this is possible and I hope you keep us informed of your progress. You are the throw master!:devil:

Out of curiousity, what kind of lux would Ra's Maxablaster put out at 1 or 5 meters? Do you believe that it is really going to be possible to get close to the throw of that beast with an LED at some point? And in something smaller than a 9" diameter host?
I really don't know what his light is putting out exactly. Do I think it will be possible to beat that light with an LED? Yes. Without a doubt. As to the specifics of the size of the light? We will just have to wait and see. The technology exists today to do it but there is no way at this moment to corral all the necessary tech into one unit. I can do most everything myself including packaging the LED but the base die itself is what I need my hands on. If I could only get my hands on Cree's 208lm/w LED. Well assuming it is not some massive die.

easilyled

Flashaholic
All this speculation... If anyone's read through the thread, they'd have seen this:

saabluster; said:
It is an ez1000 die XR-E. I did use a glass lens though.

I think we all did. :) I don't think that really gives away much information since it doesn't rule out an Aspheric lens or even a plain window.
I did mention in post #25 that he may have used a glass lens as a secondary optic though.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
When they are for sale i would like to be on the list.
This is not a product I have for sale. It is just a press release of sorts to inform everyone of what I was able to accomplish. It may be offered in the future but I am working on another light right now so most of my time is spent on that. Welcome to CPF!

ez78

Enlightened
This is extremely interesting progress!:eek: Can you tell if this same method for turbo charging the emitter surface brightness is also used in the light you are currently working with?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is extremely interesting progress!:eek: Can you tell if this same method for turbo charging the emitter surface brightness is also used in the light you are currently working with?
No it is not planned for any product at this time. Much more testing needs to be done among those lifetime tests.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work Michael! Hopefully we'll get a preview at the next GTG.

One unrelated gripe, I hate when others call their creations DEFT's or DEFT clones, obviously there is only one DEFT, and you hold the power!! It's like calling all soft drinks Cokes!

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, Man this sucks.

Just when I thought that I am getting closer, you whip out a 400K lux one using only a 3" lens? that's incredible!

Way to go, man :thumbsup:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really glad to see you're still pushing the limits - you've already amazed me with each new iteration. I knew I should have got on that first list, but it never worked out financially. But ... I promise, if you put up a 3,000,000 lux light for sale, I WILL buy it :party:

BTW ... after considerable effort I've come only to the conclusion that a flashlight's effective range is a highly elusive and variable thing. But using rather conservative, if simplistic, estimation, I'd say 3,000,000 lux @ 1m is right around the point a flashlight would be able to provide usable light at 1 mile :eek:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, Man this sucks.

Just when I thought that I am getting closer, you whip out a 400K lux one using only a 3" lens? that's incredible!

Way to go, man :thumbsup:

Ma Sha, back to the books!

SaabLuster, my offer still stands: I'll work in the workshop for the small price of a padded closet and a pallet of ramen :whistle:

I still say you should start looking at laser diodes, though :devil:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work. I have worked with optics enough to know how challenging this all is, and how expensive this kind of development can get - fast.

If people want to participate in a hobby, for instance, car racing, it costs them an entrace fee at the gate, same for a concert. Both "events" are gone after a few hours.

I have no qualms about participating in the hobby of long term advancement of flashlights, by buying things along the way. If you are worried about spending $ 400 to participate, don't even think about trying to play with the parts. :whistle: