The GS is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see the oring with my light turned on. Maybe the flashing is still working off my o-ring?

Grumpy

Enlightened
I hope they clear up these issues fast. The reason that people buy ARC is for quality and I would like to see them do well.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope they clear up these issues fast. The reason that people buy ARC is for quality and I would like to see them do well.

I agree. Hopefully Peter can take a look at my pictures, and the posts from other ARC owners experiencing similar issues, and explain to us what is going on and what they plan to do about it.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am working on getting the LED recessed. I am talking to the machinist about making a special program for the GS.

In the mean time, if you think the protruding LED will cause problems, definately do not buy it.

peter

I just saw this. Shame this wasn't stated on Arc's website that the GS LED may stick past the bezel. With the other issues my GS has I may send it back to be exchanged for a new Arc GS with a recessed, and hopefully straight, emitter.

paulr

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, this happens every time something else takes away focus from the Arc-AAA and Q/C. In this case, I'd expect Arc is worrying solely about the Arc6 the letting the Arc-AAA go into the sh*tter again, just like before every other major product release. This has been a consistent trend with Arc. It's a shame too, because the Arc-AAA has been the bread-and-butter for Arc.

Oh my. I hadn't even thought of that scenario repeating :eek: :eek: :eek:.

The Arc4+ was a nice light in some ways but it was not worth its consequences in terms of Arc LLC's demise, the Arc AAA's temporary disappearance, etc.

I suddenly wish that the Arc6 program hadn't been pursued and that Peter had reintroduced the Arc AA and maybe a Cree-based version instead, both of these much less ambitious projects resulting in lights that are very authentic and pure. CPF has enough computerized techno lights already, and while I'm sure the Arc6 will be one of the better ones, well, after a while they begin to all seem the same.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Oh my. I hadn't even thought of that scenario repeating :eek: :eek: :eek:.

The Arc4+ was a nice light in some ways but it was not worth its consequences in terms of Arc LLC's demise, the Arc AAA's temporary disappearance, etc.

I suddenly wish that the Arc6 program hadn't been pursued and that Peter had reintroduced the Arc AA and maybe a Cree-based version instead, both of these much less ambitious projects resulting in lights that are very authentic and pure. CPF has enough computerized techno lights already, and while I'm sure the Arc6 will be one of the better ones, well, after a while they begin to all seem the same.

Nicely said.

Ice

Enlightened
In my light the O ring was visible all the time, too. After some time I grew angry and turned the head by force a little further even though the light was on allready. Since then the "on position" seems to have changed quite a bit, so that the O ring is hardly visible anymore.
I don't know if I dented the battery or something inside the Arc, but who cares... :devil:

To make it clear:
YOU SHOULD NOT USE FORCE WHEN OPERATING ANY FLASHLIGHT AND I'M IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGED OR DESTROYED FLASHLIGHTS, EXPOLSIONS, BURNING HOUSES OR LEATHAL INJURIES!!! :twak:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't believe this happened. Top quality is the hallmark of Arc, and the primary point behind the high asking price.

Emailed ARC the other day, still waiting to hear back. I'll give them a few days, but it is annoying that they ask $49.99 for their premium light, and we are expecting top quality as they are known for, and lately it seems everyone is getting less than top quality.

paulr

Flashaholic
I just looked at my AAA-CS and AAA-Snow, and in both of them the O-ring is well inside the body. I also don't see that finish mark on either one, or if it's there it's at least a lot smaller. I suspect it's an artifact of where the body was in contact with the ano rack when the HA was being applied, since there have been similar marks on some other lights.

pdelagar

Newly Enlightened
I just looked at my AAA-CS and AAA-Snow, and in both of them the O-ring is well inside the body. I also don't see that finish mark on either one, or if it's there it's at least a lot smaller. ....

Same here with both my CS and DS

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
This is what I would do if I received the GS and did not like the protruding LED. I would send Peter an email saying that I would like to exchange my GS AAA for the improved redesigned reflector GS AAA, when it is available. If he told me to go to hell, then I would start Jeers type posts.

Bill

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I would do if I received the GS and did not like the protruding LED. I would send Peter an email saying that I would like to exchange my GS AAA for the improved redesigned reflector GS AAA, when it is available. If he told me to go to hell, then I would start Jeers type posts.

Bill

I have sent a more detailed email to [email protected] which is the only email I can find for them. I asked about exchanging my ARC GS for one with the recessed LED. Still no response from my first email that I see, but it has only been a day so that's okay. :)

geekswithguns

Newly Enlightened
I just received three- one was recessed - the other two were slightly over. Beams appeared centered. That slight blemish in the HA was on at least one in the same spot noted- but to be honest I'm pretty pleased overall...

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thought I'd update about my ARC. After reading about the o-rings having a flashing, I worked mine more, and peeled away the strips that were coming off, and it most likely was just the flashing. With all of this worked off the o-ring now works better and appears to be staying out of view. So one issue down. :)

The finish I can live with. The off center emitter is the only thing left, but I think I will just live with it. I can probably still learn to love it and maybe it's flaws will give it character that I will love over time, or 5 years from now I'll still curse at it when I turn it on, we'll see. :)

Still no word back from ARC, and due to all the recent issues people seem to be having with CS, I think I'll just skip the hassel and keep this ARC. If they don't want me going around showing off a bad example of an ARC GS, they are welcome to send me a properly made one, but that's up to them. I don't really feel like packing this one up and sending it back.

Is there anyway to adjust the LED without breaking it? Warming up the head and pushing on it, etc?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course less than 1 hour after posting this I get an email from Maria at Arc asking me to send in my ARC GS for replacement. I guess I will give them a chance to make things right.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to post an update that I sent my ARC GS back to ARC and got back a new ARC GS which looks great. The emitter is centered, the HA is much better, cleaner, etc. Seeing this new one I now realize how bad the HA job was on the first ARC GS I got. Hopefully Arc will keep up with the better quality HA finish. I'll try to get some pics up at some point.

Updated with pics:

Original Arc GS on left, replacement Arc GS on right:

Close up of the new Arc GS's knurling, hard to tell in the pics, but it looks much nicer. The first Arc GS I got looked like it had bare aluminum showing through the HA, or the knurling was full of aluminum debries, this new one looks much better and cleaner:

The emitter/beam still may not be dead on, but it is pretty close and perfectly acceptable to me. The quality of the finish is much improved. This is what I expected to get the first time when I ordered a Arc GS. For $50, one may question if it's worth it to get an Arc GS over the Fenix E01. I feel as long as Arc keeps the quality control up I have no problems with them charging $50 for a made in the USA light. My Arc GS is slightly brighter than my Fenix E01's, and the DX fauxton GS's are slightly brighter than the Arc GS (but probably not for very long, and they are probably seriously over driving the GS).

I'd like to thank Arc for exchanging the first Arc GS they sent me and sending me a proper quality Arc GS. I hope that they make sure no one else gets a bad quality Arc GS as I did in the future.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Cool, I just ordered one, maybe I just funded another half hour of LS-6 development ;-).

vol89

Newly Enlightened
I ordered an ARC GS after I read about the improvements. I have had it for about a week now and I must say that I am very pleased with it. The light is brighter to my eyes in a side by side comparison with the DS (fine light in itself). Also, the finish is great and the LED is recessed and centered. This is a very nice light. Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.