The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 4)

Helicycle

Newly Enlightened
Holy lurking member Batman! You got it. Since you cannot PM(right?) go to www.omglumens.com and use the contact page to send your email address over and we will correspond from there. Thanks.

That leaves two left.
Hi, I went to your page and left contact info there. Sometimes it pays to lurke! Thanks Again:takeit:

analogguy

Enlightened
Throw equals...A friend of mine has a laser rangefinder. We are at a union hiring hall parking lot in San Francisco at night. I point up to some apartment buildings on a hill and ask, "How far?" 900 yards. I pull out the DEFT and you can clearly see the squarish led on the side of the building. Seeing how far this thing throws a beam turned a bunch of grown men into a bunch of giggling little schoolgirls. OMG is about right. Thanks Michael!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing how far this thing throws a beam turned a bunch of grown men into a bunch of giggling little schoolgirls. OMG is about right. Thanks Michael!

I experienced this very thing myself. I showed it to a friend of mine(40 something) one day and he giggled for 10 minutes. Thanks for the feedback.

fiftycalibre

Newly Enlightened
Mine has a deformed looking halo around the LED square. The square doesnt look as crisp as others either. I think its the lens itself, since when I remove the optic, its still there.

I'll take a pic tonight.

The thing still throws like a beast though. I was with some friends the other night and they all laughed at me for getting yet another flashlight. We went outside and I turned it on, and they were all amazed.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has a deformed looking halo around the LED square. The square doesnt look as crisp as others either. I think its the lens itself, since when I remove the optic, its still there.

I'll take a pic tonight.

The thing still throws like a beast though. I was with some friends the other night and they all laughed at me for getting yet another flashlight. We went outside and I turned it on, and they were all amazed.
I will need to see pictures but let me know what distances you are talking about. This can be caused by the pre-collimator having shifted. Check and make sure it is straight. There is also some variance lens to lens and some lenses will show more aberration than others. I throw out the ones that are the outliers. My main concern has been that it performs at a proper level throw-wise and I am fairly sure that I have done that as I take each and every one outside at night and test them.

If you find it really is an issue than I will take care of you.;)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went outside to the shop to work and I re-read your post in my head and realized you said taking the pre-collimator did not change things. So it is likely that it is the main lens showing some aberration. Keep in mind that pictures of the beam are not necessarily representative of what the eye sees. I noticed this just the other day when I was taking the shots for my encapsulation thread. I clearly saw some aberration in the beam but I noted it did not show up in the pictures I took.

I figure I will give you a little background info on what I do when I "tune" the light in. There is a fine line to getting these things just right. You have to balance three points. The distance of the main lens to the LED, main lens to the collimator, and collimator to LED.

One very important point is that my goal is not to have an exact and highly detailed "picture" of the LED die. In fact on almost all lights/lenses this is not the point where the light throws the farthest. It is when I can get the best balance of the blue and red spectrums and their combination into one spot.

stub

Newly Enlightened
If you have room for one more on the build list....I'd love to have a DEFT
looking forward to the hearing the giggles

please advise and I'll send payment via PP

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have room for one more on the build list....I'd love to have a DEFT
looking forward to the hearing the giggles

please advise and I'll send payment via PP
E-mail sent.

Thanks to everyone! That should be all four open spots accounted for and that puts a cap on the carbon fiber DEFT for the time being. :wave:

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
E-mail sent.

Thanks to everyone! That should be all four open spots accounted for and that puts a cap on the carbon fiber DEFT for the time being. :wave:

Wow-the end of an era; can't wait to see the how the FTP model performs now...I'm always looking for a good light for my Dad.

Thanks again for your hard work and R&D Michael! We're anxiously awaiting your projects' completion and respective evolutions.

John

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always looking for a good light for my Dad.

Not to spoil anybody's party, but keep in mind this is gonna be a bit weird to try and use up close as a normal light.

As long as you know what your getting, and you may totally already know what Im about to say.. but....

The beam is quite intense and extremely directional... with little to no spill for seeing anything to the sides "unless its within a few feet".

This light is more for long distance throw to see far, far off without much regard for what is close.

Just want you to be happy and not disappointed!

Its truly a specialty light.

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Windy; I'll have an excellent idea when mine is finished, but I'm hoping an FTP with a diffuser would work...he does a lot of walking in our pine field. He used to carry his dad's old "wheat light" but we upgraded to some lighter models a couple of decades ago. It may be time to fine tune his EDCs :crackup:

Helicycle

Newly Enlightened
Originally Posted by saabluster
Holy lurking member Batman! You got it. Since you cannot PM(right?) go to www.omglumens.com and use the contact page to send your email address over and we will correspond from there. Thanks.

Hi Michael Payment sent out this morning. Thanks Again !

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
The DEFT comes with easily changeable pills.

I will also be offering interchangeable driver assemblies to run the MC-E at a higher drive level.
from here

Are there still interchangeable drivers in the works? I saw this old post and got quite excited, but I don't know how feasible this concept is...

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
from here

Are there still interchangeable drivers in the works? I saw this old post and got quite excited, but I don't know how feasible this concept is...
The higher power drivers were intended for the MC-E LEDs. In testing I found it difficult to get the power up while still have it be reliable. To get it to be reliable at high amperage would have taken more development which takes both time and money both of which I have been short on so I have had to shelve that idea for now. I also was not entirely convinced it was the best thing to do. There was not much real world difference between running an MC-E real hard with the diffused lens and the XR-E at normal spec with the diffused lens. It was brighter with a bigger field of view but not tremendously so. Also the heat load was much increased and the runtime was much shorter.

I also had to re-evaluate our business model as it was not working. The only way to stay in business was to simplify. I may look into it again in the future though. Thanks!

zoe17

Newly Enlightened
Okay, total newb checking in here after reading the thread, all four parts. Can someone please IM me the priceing, and what is the current wait time. I want a light like this one.

Thanks

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, total newb checking in here after reading the thread, all four parts. Can someone please IM me the priceing, and what is the current wait time. I want a light like this one.

Thanks

Well, as per the top of post 2, price is $425 for this model but as per post 8, he's not making any more of this particular model for the time, so wait time is most likely unknown/TBA.

Speaking of that Saab, how's the DEFT-FTP going?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks
Wow! All four parts!? Well Th232 is correct. I do not plan to make any more of the carbon fiber versions. They are a massive amount of work. Because of this the wait time has been atrocious. The new DEFT-FTP will not have any wait time and be much cheaper. Despite the price drop I should actually make some money for a change;) Look out for a new thread on that fairly soon.

Speaking of that Saab, how's the DEFT-FTP going?
It is going well. I did some durability testing last Friday. I did repeated drop tests from 5 and 7 feet onto rough concrete and the only damage to the new bezel was some light scuffing. I am very happy with it. I now need to do some cold and hot drop tests to confirm it's performance under more extreme circumstances.

If I was really nice I could sell mine.......... nah! :thumbsdow :crackup:
:)

fiftycalibre

Newly Enlightened
I have been playing with my DEFT recently, and when using it, the halo isnt really noticeable.

I gotta say, using the MC-E with the normal lens is quite fun.