• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Lounge 2017

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
vinhns quote from the locked thread, about getting close to 2mcd out of the blf gt, with the CFT-90 LED

2 MCD? nahhhhhh

Double the lumen wont get double Mcd

Even if we can drive it to 5000 Lumen I dont think we will pass 1.2-1.5Mcd....

both my blf gts are right at 1.3 mcd out of the box
but only around 2000 lumens
my guess is going to be 1.8 mcd with the CFT-90 LED
that would be a worthy light to muscle around then
pushing 2mcd, and 4000 lumens or more would be awsome:thumbsup:

have you got your gt yet vinhn ?

Not yet but the first I do...I mean second thing I do would be to tear out the guts to see if I can get a CFT90 in there LOL

hahoo

Enlightened
Not yet but the first I do...I mean second thing I do would be to tear out the guts to see if I can get a CFT90 in there LOL

atta boy !:twothumbs
im telling you, its going to be a beast with the led in it.
if it can make the tn42 go from 700k to 1000k lux, give or take..
then im thinking it should make the stock gt, at 1.3 mil, go to 1.7 , maybe 1.8 , with that reflector being almost twice the surface area, and some expert tuning:D
especially since the gt is only driven at 2.5 amps stock
i could be wrong, but we shall see;)
heres the 42 and the gt , looking down the barrel
38696629284_977e6fd0bb_c.jpg

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitely want to buy one if you can make that work. :)

The problem is the retail price after the group buy is over will be 250 or so. Best by one now to save some money. I payed just 100 bucks for it. So even if vinhs mod is a few $100 its still a great deal.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
The problem is the retail price after the group buy is over will be 250 or so. Best by one now to save some money. I payed just 100 bucks for it. So even if vinhs mod is a few $100 its still a great deal.

Can we still get on group buy?

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah I have one coming for $115. If Vinh can mod it with the CFT-90 I would send him my GT or just buy the whole light from him and sell the other. Whatever it takes. :)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Last few thoughts for 2017!

Sky Lumen's Best

Some are not great sellers but these are my personal picks.

1. Charger: Nitecore i8, $45, 8 cells, NiHm & Li-ion. Worryfree charging station.
2. EDC Thrower: Goliath with SST40 or Oslon Black. $138 high price. Excellent throw & Beam. Stainless is classy but heavy. Lighter Aluminum version heat sink better. Lucky few with Oslons.
3. Long range rifle spotter: M25C2vn w/ Oslon Black. Even if you don't have a rifle it's still the best thrower for the packaging. T21vn edges it out but is a bit longer and more expensive.
4. Short range rifle spotter. S2200c2vn. This one and SST40 SD is on my AR15. I don't shoot iron sights so the throw is more than adequate. Larger hotspot and lumen is more appropriate compared to Oslon.
5. Best Tactical Light: G25C2vn with SST40 HD. Excellent beam, decent throw, larger hot spot for scanning ease. My LEOs agree that tactical lights shouldn't have pencil beams. Cool white is most blinding.
6. Aspheric no spill thrower: XSvn with Oslon Black single mode. One mode is all you need for fixed focus aspherics. I am not an aspheric fan but this one sells well for a reason.
7. Long runtime High output: MT35vn with 70.2 6500K. Pushing 6500+ Lumen with surprising long turbo time due to heft and heat sinking design. Almost the light I always grab when I go look for Tiger at night outside. Don't have to worry about turbo heat andit thrower enough yet lights up everything.
8. Turn Key: M2Rvn with XHP35 HI 5000K. An excellent light from the factory really. Might be worth it just to pay a tiny bit extra for my version as it throws more and if you prefer my warranty.
9. Budget headlamp: A2S. You get a 3400mah cell with built in micro USB charging and XPL pushing 1000+ Lumen for $30! I don't use this light myself but I sure recommend it to everyone on a budget. They are all satisfied! Some comes back for more.
10. Pop can with optics: MT18vn with ANY LED! XPL HI 6500K is you can afford it. Optics lights = all the lumen measured is in one large hot spot. Nothing wasted in places you don't look, AKA spill. Yes peripheral vision matters too but it's not an issue in this light.
11. Popular single 18650/18350 compact thrower: D1vn with SST40 SD. Price and UI is on point. I rarely use it as I am not yet used to ramping UI but I do think its an excellent one. This UI will be extra popular in 2018…You won't likely guess why!
12. Popular Single 18650/18350 compact flooder: D4vn with XPL HI 6500K. One of 2017 best seller. I am more busy building this light than using it.
13. Best Tactical Thrower: L16vn with XHP35 HI 5000K. Hot spot can have slight artifacts but otherwise a PERFECT light. Get that raised oring over button mod! A light Acebeam can be proud of. Most of Acebeam are really excellent lately. Ironically I have to get some of their lights through third party nowadays so prices will climb.
14. Highest output BYB (Bang for Your Buck). X45vn with 4 xhp70.2 6500K. Especially now with smooth reflector for more throw! Best high output seller?
15. Olight H1 headlamp. 13 cells included! Excellent beam, tint, UI. Buy 5 set for your house and car!
16. Smallest popcan light: MK34vn…An excellent light minus weak anodization which makes light feel a bit cheap.
17. All around pop can: X7vn. I hate it when someone orders it as the build is tough but it's too good to discontinue. A light I proudly display.
18. EDC Thrower. D25Cvn. Even smaller than Goliath but less throw. Expensive with Oslon Black but worth it!
19. Dedicated throwers: TN42vnM & TN42vn90…largest "practical" size IMO. Other than price not sure what's not to love…These are the kind of lights that keeps me going!
20. Lantern: CL25R. Nothing else this perfect.
21. Keychain: ToolVN. You will understand when you have one…The kind of light that make you say WTF yet most useful as its always with you. I however stop carrying this light after I lost 4. 3 copper one and aluminum.
22. Searchlight: X65vn. A legitimate search light with all the right designs. Seems expensive but when you break it down it has 8 quality cells with built in magnetic charging!
23. Classy Bling: TimebackVN II with trits. A great value even at $300+. Never thought I love spinners and trits.
24. Brightest headlamp: H2R neutral. Likely my most favorite stock light of all time. Other than size the light is PERFECT. Yes I mean perfect. Nothing I can fault or be picky about.
25. Lego fun: P60vn with 219c 5000K. Stay away from P60 legos as its gets addicting and expensive!
26. True Popcan: M43vn with XPL HI. Best heat sinking, current transfer and build quality. Performance is not class leading but will remain a timeless classic for me. Everytime I hold one in my hand I feel an appreciation and respect for the designer.
27. Fenix timeless: TK75vn in any led configuration! Likely the most adaptable host of all time. The kinda light you kinda have to have one if you are an enthusiast. 70.2 version is expensive but impressive.
28. Brightest Popcan X80vn. Turbo and Turbo max gets light hot TOO fast but hey there are lower levels. Center LEDs keep light from being a 1 trick pony. Bugs me when people complain that a light like this one is impractical. I guess it bugs me less if they said Turbo is impractical or at least impractical for specific situations. How many practical situations is there that demands the use of 26,000 Lumen from a palm size light? Not that many I would think. I can't remember that last time I demand 26,000 lumen in practice. The first few levels gives plenty of practical outputs for general tasks and that should be fair. I don't expect my stingray to run at its top 186mph speed all day. I do however expect it to cruise at 60 extensively as would with the X80vn on lower levels. I do appreciate it very much that the stingray is capable of such high speed as my X80vn of such extreme output. I have said, if I can harness the power of the sun for just 1 second I would. Sorry to rant!
29. Light bar: MTN Litebar. Really THE BEST out there!
30. Exotics: Solis & X65vn100. At +$2000 its too expensive. So expensive it's hard for me to keep one for myself. But the performance puts them in a class of their own. Solis 400Kcd with 35,000 Lumen. X65vn100 at 100,000 Lumen ;-) One day when I no longer build lights I will look back at lights like these and be content that I lived my dreams.
31. Only if Fiat Lux: T21vn with Oslon Black. This light is Amazing…but only if it's a Fiat Lux! Perfect focus, artifacts free beam, crazy intense 600+ Kcd makes this the hardest light to resist stealing from a customer. Why is the beam so hard to tune. Not so fun facts: All T21vn oslon reflectors are glued for focus…Not sure how the hell I can repair one if the LED gives.
32. High output thrower: TN40Svn. Simple light but does its job exceptionally well. ~5000 Lumen and 345kcd in a package that is not too big to take out of the house. Yes X65vn is too big!

Honestly I love almost all the lights in Sky Lumen. I certainly like them all but the above are just a tad above and beyond. Most of 2017 was times of the flooders but 2018 will certainly be rises of the throwers!

Things to be excited for in 2018:
· DriverVNX3. Simpler UI with D4 ramping UI as one of its mode group plus new advancement features.
· PFET Circuits to support Oslon Black & CFT-90 LEDs
· DriverVNX3 UI Buck Drivers for more power than direct drives
· Scylla presence in more high end lights
· Giga thrower host breaking new reflector throw records
· TN42vnM & TN42vn90 and its class leading throw for the size. Largest acceptable size for many actually.
· Cree XD16 & and Osram synios to dethrone Oslon Black as king throw LED?
· CFT90 + Scylla in Multi Emitters lights!
· Return of review videos
· New Lux Signifer charity efforts

Happy New Year Everyone!

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can relate to Vinhs' picks #14, 16,19, 22, 26 and 27, in the post above. #22 is a large light, but big beam performance comes from big lights.

BLF Giggles now or wait for Vinh mod? Wait for Vinh mod, of course.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome list Vinh! Great wrapup. I'm excited about the X45vn I just bought used. Hopefully will arrive at the end of the week!

Looking forward to the new driver including the ramp feature. I'm loving that on the D4 and the BLF Q8.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
vinh mentioned about the mt35vn, " .. Almost the light I always grab when I go look for Tiger at night outside.

Lol.. thats funny. I hope its not a real tiger..

hahoo

Enlightened
agreed, very good wrap up mr v.
you are one work a holic sir for sure.

heres a few pics i did a giff on tonight

tower is about 850 meters off.
hope im not out of line posting this , since its not a vinhn modded light...yet...
stock blf gt
this things gonna rock with the cft-90 in it for sure!

39419627031_26b98e6ac2_o.gif
[/URL]output_Zt2fYS 3 pic by nodoubt_367, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:

hahoo

Enlightened
No sir. I assume the cells are the hold up, but I'm in no hurry.
bob marley = island time.
wimmer = kentucky time
yes, and btw, happy new years to all !
and a brighter 2018 to all the weirdo flashaholics out there like us!
new years resolution= get at least 2 or 3 more people hooked,and come over to the bright side:party::tinfoil:

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, as long as we are doing this here, I'll do some thoughts as well. I hadn't bought lights for awhile, then I seemed to have gone crazy the last few months haha. It was fun, but had to sell many of my older lights to do it, and surprisingly ended up selling many of the lights I bought (and selling more); even sent a couple back. Wish I had the money to keep them all of course, but...... Lot's of giggles, amazement, and fun. Several surprises too, as lights I thought I'd love I didn't and lights that I didn't like at first I now love. Learned I still love throw, still not a flood guy, but prefer mostly throwy lights with a good amount of nice, wide spill too. Ok, I might have known that, but now I know it more haha. Here are some highlights for me.

Goliath: So much lumen and throw from such a tiny light! Incredible! But the price tag made me not carry it because I know at some point it will get lost.
X45vn: Seriously, 25,000 lumens!?! That was just rediculous and so much fun to turn on haha. In the end, I found I was never reaching for it because I don't ever have the need to light up an entire sports field haha. I like small mouthable lights around the house that are floody, and throwers and mix for hiking and camping.
D4 and D1 versions: Perfect for me around the house and just incredible lights in general for amazing prices.
MH20vn: Always loved this little light for so many reasons. Adding the SST40 SD was icing on the cake with a perfect beam!
L16vn: Vinh couldn't say enough about this light and I even bought the diffuser lens for it before it arrived. I wasn't impressed at all for a long time, but now due to all of the features and performance wrapped up in the one light, I can really see why Vinh says this is one of those lights that if you only can have one.......
Last, S200C2vn: Not at all new, but has been one of my favorites for a long time. Sent it to Vinh for an upgrade with the SST40 SD, came back just incredible but only single mode as the stock driver couldn't push the LED to it's potential. Sent it back and he put a new driver in it, and now, an amazing light is even better!!! I know the reflector robs a lot of lumens, but it still has a ton of it for it's size, great throw with a lot of wide spill, and an absolute perfect beam!!!

Thanks for a great year of lights Vinh!!!
Happy New Year everyone!